Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • YT Capra or Cotic Rocket? Or…?
  • blisterman
    Free Member

I’m looking for a FS bike for trails, AM, Enduro/DH lite capable. I heard all the raving about the YT Capra, and that seems a very good fit. It sounds versatile enough that a non-competitor like me can use it for many things from longer XC/trail rides to messing about at trail centres to AM/Enduro/DH lite/insert latest buzz phrase for, er, mountain biking.

As well as the Capra, the Cotic Rocket seemed a possible option too. A bit different, Cotic, and again, sounds like it would nicely cover the range of things I’d want it to do.

Then of course the Rocket seemed to be off the market. Decision seemed to be made.

THEN this morning it turns out 27.5″ Rockets made in Taiwan will be available in “late summer” after all. There’s a wait for the Capra, but only till May.

Back to square one!

So what should I do?

Are they as comparable as I think, or is the Capra way better?
    The Rocket would allow me to do my own build and put lots of Hope stuff on, whereas the choices are made for me with the Capra since it comes as a full bike.

Or is there something else comparable that I should be seriously considering?

Thanks for your thoughts!

weeksy

“late summer….”

Unless it was tied down to a month.. I rekon it could be later summer 2016.

dazh

I’ve always hankered after a Canyon Strive but the Capra is difficult to look past.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’m looking at similar options at the moment but in terms of a spec I want for the price I’m finding it hard to look past this Norco from Evans.

AlexSimon

My take on it is that the Capra is ‘more bike’ than the Rocket.
    The rocket is a modern tough trail bike somewhere in between a Solo and Bronson imo (maybe even more solo), whereas the Capra is more like a Nomad in terms of suspension feel and intent.

Obviously the weight of the Capra Carbon will compare pretty well with the Rocket, but weight is only one part of the story.

There are a million other bikes to consider. The Bird Aeris is the one I went for after riding lots (I think March/April availability for new orders). Still to get my hands on mine though to give a thorough appraisal.

chiefgrooveguru

My take on it is that the Capra is ‘more bike’ than the Rocket.
    The rocket is a modern tough trail bike somewhere in between a Solo and Bronson imo (maybe even more solo), whereas the Capra is more like a Nomad in terms of suspension feel and intent.

Capra definitely more bike than the Rocket. Rocket is a ‘bigger’ bike than the Bronson – longer, lower and slacker and I’d expect a 27.5 version to be moreso.

I ended up with a Spitfire after my Rocket order was delayed and I couldn’t be happier with it:

http://brightonmtb.org/2015/01/31/a-review-banshee-spitfire-v2/

Northwind

Fanboy as I am, I’d not be counting on getting a Rocket until they actually exist. Cy won’t be intentionally over-promising or anything but deadlines do slip. And we don’t know exactly what form the new version will take either.

matther01
    Free Member

Lower priced Capra’s are 160 and can’t be beaten price wise. AL2 at less than 2k is great vfm

AlexSimon

Rocket is a ‘bigger’ bike than the Bronson – longer, lower and slacker and I’d expect a 27.5 version to be moreso.

Having ridden them both, I thought the Bronson was the bigger-feeling bike, but I guess all sorts of things come into play. And yes, the 27.5 wheels might make all the difference.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Earliest you will be able to get a Capra is June at the moment, I think.

Rocket would be later, so not that bad in that respect.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Some Capras are in stock, depending on size. Change the colour option where there is one and the date will change.

steveh

YT desperately need an XL Capra – I know several folks who were keen but the bikes just aren’t big enough.

v666ern
    Free Member

anyone remember #26aintdead

Such a high to see the promise of it coming back, such a low to see they’ve given in to demand and us 26ers will have to buy new kit for this

AlexSimon

Yes and it was appropriate for then (2013).
    Only they will know how many they sell versus 27.5
    If it’s not economically viable, what do you want them to do?

v666ern
    Free Member

AS
    I know, I don’t want to be negative that’s the way it’s moved and they’d be daft not to just find it funny that all of there range are moving away from 26 after they coined #26aintdead

batman11
    Free Member

What about the on one codine 650b frame ment to be in around spring time?
    Worth a thought.

taxi25
    Free Member

So what should I do?

If it was me, I would buy a bike that was in stock so I could ride it now. Not sometime in the distant future.

timraven

Love my Rocket, but it’s the “old, proper” wheel size.

I’m sure the new flavour will be just as good.

blisterman
    Free Member

Thanks very much for the help and thoughts!

Taxi 25- ordinarily I too would be up for buying what’s available now, but I’ll need to spend some time saving anyway. That said, I’m planning to visit Fort Bill in July, so I’d like to have it before then!

The Spitfire is clearly widely loved, and the 26/27.5″ adjustable wheel size is an intriguing idea.

That Aeris sounds like it could be a good bet too… Didn’t know there was a 27.5″ Codeine in the pipeline, but I guess not surprised.

I’m a Cotic fan, so in a way I’d love the Rocket option to work. If the Aeris is as good and comparable, it could be the way to get a great build on a great bike for sub-£3k…

blisterman
    Free Member

Tim Raven- I’m not necessarily wedded to the idea of 26″ wheels. Just never tried them, and most of what I’ve read seems to say there’s not a massive difference. So if anyone’s got a 26″ Rocket to sell…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

This is a serious bike in any of these discussions.

chestrockwell

You may as well get the Capra or something else available sooner. Who knows if the new Rocket will be any good? It has not been made yet.

If I were you I’d get a bike now then have a look at a Rocket in a year or two after it’s been released, tested and proven.

jimw
    Free Member

The Reign is a contender, but at that price point, compared to a Capra AL2 or Strive, it is a bit heavy and much if the kit is a level below SLX vs Xt for example. However, you can buy from a dealer rather than direct and Giants have an excellent warranty.

A friend of mine has been going through exactly the same consideration for a £2k bike in the 160mm travel region, we looked at the Reign, Capra, Strive, Rose Granite Chief 2 and Cube Stereo 160. He is getting a Capra in June.

blisterman
    Free Member

Thanks JimW. Gives me some context – I’m a bit out of the FS loop! My last one was a 1999 Patriot.

Chestrockwell- inclined to agree. I don’t have a FS at all just now.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am pondering the same dilema. Still no official date on the XL Capra so the Riegn or the Strive is top of the list at the moment.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Transition patrol?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Orbea Rallon?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading Rocket updates. Realistically, that’s your next-but-one bike. “Rockets are definitely in our future” doesn’t sound much like a delivery date!

🙂

svalgis
    Free Member

such a low to see they’ve given in to demand

Yeah, it’s almost as if they want to make a profit from selling their product.

Rickos
    Free Member

Commencal V4 AM. Now they’re direct sales they have some great specs at good prices. Fits everything you describe.

colournoise

Wanted a Rocket for a long time. Was on the list for a long time. Still want one but not holding my breath. Got this instead and am more than happy with it in the role you’re after.

Having said that, riding buddy has a Capra and loves it.

blisterman
    Free Member

Rickos – thanks, the Commencal definitely looks like it belongs on the list – right price for great spec, and sounds like the frame does what it should. And at the price (similar to the Bird Aeris) I could just about get the frame and do a full Hope build with RS Pike/Monarch for a total of £3k.

Colournoise – Orange Alpine does look beeyootiful, but how does the suspension feel? I had a Patriot and felt the suspension was a bit wallowy. I put that down to the single pivot location at the time. It was 1999 though, maybe it’s working better on the Alpine 16 years on! Shocks have evolved a lot etc etc. Although it’s about another £1k.

Another vote for the YT there too. One thing that does concern me a little is the E13 wheels it comes with – there have been reports of the hubs breaking, and I wouldn’t have the option of speccing a different wheel. r is this something that’s now been sorted?

Hmmm…

blisterman
    Free Member

Realistically, that’s your next-but-one bike. “Rockets are definitely in our future” doesn’t sound much like a delivery date!

Sadly I think you’re right there.

blisterman
    Free Member

Gaaahh! Darrenspink that Transition looks good, especially with its 4 bar. Perhaps a bit slack in the head angle – ideally I’d like to use it as a trail bike as well as chucking around. Have you got/ridden one? Good price though. I’m going to the US in May so picking one up there might be an option.

Limy
    Free Member

I have the 26″ Rocket and love it. My mate who ride with has just ordered a Capra. Its in stock and should be in in next 12 days apparently.

I know It wont be a completely fair comparison as one is 26″ and one 27″ but will certainly report back after having ridden them both.

rOcKeTdOg

AS
    I know, I don’t want to be negative that’s the way it’s moved and they’d be daft not to just find it funny that all of there range are moving away from 26 after they coined #26aintdead

It was only ever gonna be #26aintdead until all the 26″ stock is sold

Northwind

Except that they’ve restocked 26 inch frames since then 😆

Northwind

<double sarcastic post>

rOcKeTdOg

Except that they’ve restocked 26 inch frames since then

that’ll be why they are still pushing the 26″ adverts then, gosh darned commitments to purchase!

kelvin

Still “pushing” the #26aintdead ad/video mostly because it’s fun!

You probably find if your read Singletrack that Cotic adverts for bikes of all three wheel sizes appear in the mag, with 29er and 275 ads appearing just as often as the 26 ones. And the website homepage features all three pretty equally as well. “Pushing” bikes of all wheel sizes.

BFe 26 has been through several new colour options since that #26aintdead video was done. Real shame more Rocket 26 weren’t made, but heh… let’s move on.

Capra with 170mm forks does look like “more” bike than the Rocket… if they ever increase the reach on the Capra they’ll find it even harder to keep up with demand! Very popular for grin making. Hard to argue about the spec on them at the prices as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘YT Capra or Cotic Rocket? Or…?’ is closed to new replies.