Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Young's u Brew Hand Corker Plastic – any good?
  • teef
    Free Member

Young's u Brew Hand Corker Plastic – any good?

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Home-Brewing/Youngs-u-Brew-Hand-Corker-Plastic/invt/0253123?htxt=ds52QMmaOWDcdPxQeyAvPwvLruQSLfddaw%2Fr81CkFAkUjS1fztH1wElwsl3dsSCEmyjwkq1YPkzKW%2Fxmj36eag%3D%3D

Why can't I put the wine in beer bottles and use a crown capper to seal them?

ssboggy

I've got one of those hand corkers, they work but its very hard pushing the corks in after you've done a few bottles. I resorted to using a rubber mallet on the corker to hit them in, it worked ok but i have now invested in one of these
    Corker

Never tried putting wine in beer bottles

teef
    Free Member

Thanks for that – I'm only doing a 6 bottle kit so I'll probably get one and use the rubber mallet technique.

Corks – do you just put them as they come – dry or do you soften them up so how?

Wine kits – do you use wine kits – if so what's you're favourite brand. I'm doing a Beaverdale Chablis Blush currently.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Soak in warm water for a couple of hours.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Got the same corker here too.

Use Youngs silicone treated corks and simply set the device up so the cork is just protruding from end – helps it locate in the top of the bottle – then simply press down. No need to soak corks or any faff!

Wine kits are generally good but have had good success with making real wines. My main problem is maintaining temperature through the winter. Some people use airing cupboards (which we don't have) some use heat mats. My thoughts are to make wine Spring/Summer for consumption in the winter

cheers

ssboggy

I'm doing a Beaverdale Cab Sav kit at the moment, the Beaverdale kits come highly recomended by the local shop. If you use Youngs corks from Wilkos they only need splashing in a bit of water not soaking

tankslapper
    Free Member

From the Youngs Website on silicone treated corks

Q. I have just bought some corks which say 'do not soak' on the packet. What would happen if they were soaked?

These corks have been treated with an approved silicone material in order to facilitate easier corking. It is not necessary to soak these corks prior to use. If they are soaked a 'milky' residue rubs off and this can be imparted to your wine. Although totally harmless, this residue looks unsightly. It will settle given time and 'racking' or filtering helps to speed up its removal. Also, a silicone treated cork that has been soaked will disintegrate upon extraction from the bottle. The amount of silicone applied to these corks is a compromise between two factors:

a) Too much silicone used could result in the cork coming back out of the bottle due to the reduced friction.

b) Too little silicone used and the cork becomes too difficult to insert into the bottle.

I vote we have an STW Wine Club tasting session?!

thejesmonddingo

From the sound of it ,you need an STW cork insertion session 🙄
    Ian

tankslapper
    Free Member

From the sound of it ,you need an STW cork insertion session
    Ian

That'll be 'berm bandit' you're looking for…. 😛

thejesmonddingo

If it fits…..
    Ian

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Young's u Brew Hand Corker Plastic – any good?’ is closed to new replies.