Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You have a trillion quid – you have to save/prolong as many lives as possible…
  • Smee
    Free Member

…what do you spend it on?

Reducing climate change or all of the following – finding a cure for cancer, cure for AIDS and eradicating malaria?

This is my last thread on the subject. 😀

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Lives are never saved, they are prolonged. A really picky distinction, but it always bugs me when hugely expensive treatments to prolong lives are touted as life saving.
    Oh, and no, I have never required lifesaving treatment so reserve the right to change my stance in light of personal experience, never too old to learn!

Smee
    Free Member

Changed the title just for you.

bruneep

I'd party like its 1999

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Most considerate, I would probably do nothing, there really are too many of us on the planet. If I had to though I guess the most cost effective work is done in third world countries, things like malaria nets, vaccinations, free healthcare in remote areas that traditionally have extended families.
    Don't know what the biggest killer with a current cure is though. That would be the target if I knew.

edit-do titanium bikes save lives? Might have to get something blingy as well…

another edit-actually read your question, given those choices, try to mitigate human impact on the world, so climate change gets the cash.

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Would prolonging future life not be a better idea rather than saving lives at present?
    The world is getting too overcrowded and with the depletion of energy source (oil)and not enough food to go around , the future of human life looks kinda bleak.
    If this is the case then starting a world war might be a good idea with yer trillion quid. 😯

Considering the state of the World economy atm , the yanks and British government would prolly sell you some WMD's , you could prolly haggle with the Russians and Asians too.

You'll become even more infamous. 😉

da funk

sodafarls
    Free Member

Pay for the assassination of the Illuminati.

tankslapper
    Free Member

shoot you so thread never happens………….

bassspine
    Free Member

build a B ark

crikey
    Free Member

Use it all to educate women, all across the world.

Men have made a **** mess, lets try a different approach.

Smee
    Free Member

That would mean a hell of a lot of pairs of shoes – think of the resources that would take.

crikey
    Free Member

Ah…

Yes….

I was thinking in global terms, rather than in Mrs Crikey terms…

I think the idea, although noble, needs a bit more work.

sodafarls
    Free Member

"Use it all to educate women, all across the world."

All the world's problems are down to women. Men do terrible things to impress women as it works, women are impressed by power and Machismo although some pretend otherwise. We slaughter and eat all the women, and decide not to go to work. Instead we learn to love ourselves (men), no babies are born and the future of the planet as a livable habitat for our animal bethren is assured, bar a huge meteor strike, lairy sunspots or aggressive volcanism.

crikey
    Free Member

Instead we learn to love ourselves (men),

um, not being fussy or anything, but I'm not all that keen on loving men. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that it's not really my thing.

sodafarls
    Free Member

"um, not being fussy or anything, but I'm not all that keen on loving men. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that it's not really my thing."

Well you have yet to meet me.

Anyway, I do agree with your suggestion that educating women would be a good start. Most of them seem pretty daft to be honest.

crikey
    Free Member

I've always said you should only regret the things you haven't done, and I am extraordinarily attractive, so who knows…

Whether we would solve the worlds problems is another matter tho…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have a strange feeling that I have…….

I can't speak for crikey, but I'm sure that you do it for some men…….. not for me though 😐

@ the OP…….doing something about reducing climate change – not so much motivated by it's effect on humans, but it would be nice to help save a few other species who don't deserve to have their planet screwed up.

sodafarls
    Free Member

It was the Cannibalism that gave me away Ernie, wasn't it?

samuri
    Free Member

Fairly unimaginative responses so far, apart from the party thing.

Top ten killers on the planet are all diseases.

BORING!!!

Ok, top ten interesting killers on the planet are Americans. They are obsessed with topping each other. Now we're getting there. They shoot each other, drive over each other, poison our atmosphere pull vending machines on themselves, you name it, they just kill and kill.

Buy a thousand nukes, send 'em over.

edit: send havers and richard from richjard and judy over there before sending the nukes

epicyclo

Pay a hit squad to wipe out everyone in the tobacco industry.

That would save more lives than just about anything I can think of.

luked2
    Free Member

Pay off most of the debts run up by RBS and Lloyds?

avdave2

Launch a war on terror. That should get rid a trillion quid pretty quickly.

Karinofnine

Stop people eating meat – that would save lots of (animals') lives

jimmy

I'd H-bomb China and India* into oblivion. Population immediately reduced and with it, the predicted population growth and consequent increase in energy demand over the next 50 years. All CC funds could then be redirected to developing cures for anything you like.

*Nothing personal / racist, but thats where the problems are coming from, right?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'd H-bomb China and India* into oblivion.

I see three problems with that plan. Firstly both China and India have nuclear weapons, and in the case of China, they have the ability to deliver them, having as the have, intercontinental ballistic missiles with a range of 7,500 miles. Secondly, where would we in Britain get all our high tech stuff from, if China no longer existed ? And finally, I'm not entirely convinced that killing more than a third of the world's population is necessarily the best way to "save/prolong as many lives as possible". I suspect the plan probably needs a bit more work.

jimmy

Too late – I was so happy with the plan in its immaculate detail that I sent it to Brown and Obama and I'm pretty hopeful they'll agree.

BOOOOOOM! 😈

samuri
    Free Member

Too late – I was so happy with the plan in its immaculate detail that I sent it to Brown and Obama and I'm pretty hopeful they'll agree.

Try telling them there's oil under the ground in those countries, that seems to be a particularly quick method of killing off the indigenous inhabitants.

edhornby

get rid of all religions, that way we could slow the overpopulation of the planet, the root cause of climate change

Northwind

If anyone's nuking china, can you wait til my dealextreme lights arrive (be warned, this may take years)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Bring this policy in for all Humanties future survival.

That will leave you a little change with which to go to the pub.

jwt
    Free Member

Terraform Mars, and be VERY picky about who gets to relocate.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Provide clean drinking water to all currently without it – it always amazes me how much we take it for granted in the "first" world

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘You have a trillion quid – you have to save/prolong as many lives as possible…’ is closed to new replies.