Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Yorkshire folk
  • Merak

How do.

I’m off down you your neck of the woods for the Grand Depart. Mrs Merak and myself are staying in Leeds on the Friday night then going to a festival of cycling. I had hoped to catch stage 2 on the way back to Scotland. Mibbes Holme Moss, I had planned on camping on the Saturday but logistically have no clue! I’d appreciate your local knowledge/advice.

Ta.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Set off now.

Merak

Ha! 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

You, along with about 4 million other people appear to be under estimating the number of people who will be watching. Holme Moss in the days of the Wincanton classic was full of people. Imagine the numbers multiplied by about 5…

Merak

Aye, don’t think I hadn’t thunk about that. Hence asking for some local knowledge re spectating at any other points given your local knowledge. 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s a big place, Yorkshire.

and it gets very very crowded* as you get near to Leeds. You’ll need to get there early if you want to see le Grand Depart itself.

Holme Moss is to the southwest of Leeds by a fair distance. might even be on the wrong side of Huddersfield.

sadly I haven’t a clue about the route so can’t help any more at this stage (no pun intended)

*2+ million people live in West Yorkshire. Leeds & Bradford districts make up about half of that. Don’t plan on going anywhere fast within the Leeds/Bradford area, especially in rush hour

hora
    Free Member

How do?

You start with hey up.

ton

find a good pub, with good food and ale. sit back and enjoy.

been to the tour a few times in france………I have no desire whatsoever to stand for 3 or 4 hours in a crowd, to watch 10 seconds of cycling.

Merak

Mmnnn, went to the Olympic road race at box hill and thought much the same. Watching the action on the big screen seemed much more civilised than clamering for a glance at the glitterati as they go by.

Ok, which pub then? 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup best stay Leeds way and leave the rest of the course for us eh, ta 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m walking down to The Stray, might grab a beer on the way, nice living 15 minutes from the finish line of Stage One.

🙂

chipps

I hear there’ll be a big screen in the middle of Todmorden both days – and the real thing will be going past, just five miles down the road on the Sunday. I think we’re planning on mountain biking over and missing much of the crush.

Merak

Nice one Chipps. That’s the stuff I’m after. 😉

martinhutch

I’m starting to have second thoughts about trying to get up close on Kidstones. Not worth the hassle, maybe. Might plonk myself somewhere with a panoramic view of the road from a distance as part of a nice long off-road ride.

Gary_C

I think we’re planning on mountain biking over and missing much of the crush.

That’s what I’m planning to do on the Sunday. Set off from over Burnley way, offroad into Calderdale & watch them come up Cragg Vale.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire folk’ is closed to new replies.