Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Yoga, Ashtanga alternative?
  • slightbreeze
    Free Member

Right then, does anyone know much about Yoga on here?

A few years back I did a bit of Ashtanga yoga with my missus and I really got some benefit from it. I now and then suffer with a bad back and poor flexibility so I have been thinking about getting back into yoga. I just wondered if anyone had any advice on the matter?

Ashtanga (sp) I found was very good and also a good workout as it is a fairly active form of yoga, but are there any good alternatives if I can’t get myself into a Ashtanga class?

Cheers folks!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Have a look at Iyengar… it may be better to start with if you’ve been suffering from back pain as it’ll get your asanas perfect.

jimster
    Free Member

I take it the old Ashtanga classes have finished where you are?

Contact local sports centres and they should be able to direct you to the nearest Yoga classes, go along and have a look and a chat.

IMO any yoga class will help with flexibilty.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hatha’s good but prob not what you are after – its very slow, with asanas held for a while and lots of focus on breathing. Off to a yin yoga workshop at the weekend where they hold asanas for 5 mins! Ouch.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ouch.

Indeed.. the only pose I’d fancy doing for that long is a head stand.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Heh…you’d get some head rush a 5min head stand:D I was recommended the workshop so hoping it’ll be good.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

It may upset some of the “traditionalists”, but Ashtanga is often called power yoga, so worth keeping your eyes open for that too.

In my experience you shouldn’t take too much notice of the name. Its much more to do with the particular teacher. My advice would be find any local practices and just go, worst that can happen is you don’t enjoy it/teacher and don’t go again. Best that can happen is you find enlightenment!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I still want to do a yoga retreat somewhere tropical.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I still want to do a yoga retreat somewhere tropical.

Me too *sighs*

younggeoff

whereabouts are you, I’ve just started back after a 6month lay off due to injury. the classes I go to are Vinyasa Krama, from what I can tell it’s got elements of Ashtanga and Forrest yoga in it. Anyway it’s great fun, excellent for developing strength, balance and flexibility. I was sceptical about yoga but really enjoy it and definately feel the benefits

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dirty – do you reckon yoga helps to get more aero on the bike?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Both my first two Ashtanga yoga teachers were keen runners and cyclists when they took it up. Firstly its great at stretching the muscles that become tight with both, ie down the backs of the legs. Secondly it builds load of core strength/stability and upper body strength. It makes for really good cross training.

Costa Rica is one great place for yoga. Is there half decent biking there too?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Dirty – do you reckon yoga helps to get more aero on the bike?

Not sure – i’ve always been pretty flexible so getting into a good tuck ie chin to the bars on descents hasn’t ever been an issue. Can’t say i notice i’m anymore flexible riding when i do yoga on a regular basis, but I do have less aches/tight muscles. At the moment i’m spending 10mins a day in the pigeon asana to loosen off tight glutes 😯

You noticed your more aero since starting yoga then?

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Bikram is always worth looking out for. 90 minutes of hatha in a sauna. literally. Very effective.

slightbreeze
    Free Member

younggeoff – I’m live outside of Oslo, Norway. We moved from the place that did the Astanga and it was at a gym as part of their package. But I will try and find a local course around here of what ever I can get I guess.

Cheers for all of the advice guys!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was doing yoga before I started riding road 🙂 if it improves flexibility at the hips it’s got to help though.

spacehopper

i’d second Iyengar.. very good for alignment but not quite so aerobic..

the Rocket Yoga classes i go to are great too.. much more aerobic though.. im usually a sweaty mess by the end of them.. 😆

Keva
    Free Member

I started Satria, Indonesian yoga back in the summer. Really really good and fairly dynamic.

http://www.woma.tv/movies/3K/indonesian-yoga.html

Kev

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Yoga, Ashtanga alternative?’ is closed to new replies.