Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Yeti ASR5 disc brake set-up (Formula RX) discs seem too small?!?
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

I’ve just installed a set of Formula RX discs on my Yeti ASR. the front is running a 180mm post mount with a Alligator Cutter 180mm disc. The rear is running a 160mm IS mount with a 160mm Alligator Cutter disc.

The rear disc seems to small small for the caliper & mount (ie. not very much of the disc is actually being gripped by the pads) and the front is better, but still only contacting with 70% of the braking area.

What am I doing wrong?

chojin
    Free Member

not sure, but I have a Formula RX brakes on my ASR5 and they fit perfectly. That is with a 180mm rotor on the rear, mind.

chojin
    Free Member

Is it all new kit? the front has nothing to do with your choice of frame – so i’d imagine if it fit before, it will fit again! (if that makes sense)

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m wondering whether it is something to do with the rotors… anyone with experience of alligator windcutters?

mrjmt
    Free Member

sure your old rotors weren’t 185mm, and your mount adaptor is the same?

campfreddie
    Free Member

nope… new rotors, new callipers, and the mounts both say 180mm & 160mm on them… the mounts are the correct way up and are front & rear specific.

chojin
    Free Member

all part of the same kit? or bought seperately?

chojin
    Free Member

take some pics and post them up – might help!

wwaswas

pics?

campfreddie
    Free Member

looking at this carefully, only about 2mm of the inside bottom circular section of the rotor is not making contact, so I guess that is almost acceptable

this on the other hand quite clearly shows that only 50% of the braking surface of the rotor is meeting the pads (and due to the windcutter shape, it is the bladed section rather than a regular circular section

woody2000

You sure it’s a 160mm rotor?

wwaswas

try the rear adapter the other way around.

P20

Wwaswas. Thats what I thought

campfreddie
    Free Member

the arrow on the back of the adapter is pointing upwards…

wwaswas

even so.

campfreddie
    Free Member

will give it a go… i guess i can put a spacer or two between the mount and the caliper if it fouls slightly… but if it does work, surely the pads will be angled incorrectly against the disc?

neninja
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure on my RX rear adapter the side with the size marked on it faces outwards which would suggest this one could be fitted the wrong way round.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m not using a formula mount on the back as i only have a 180mm version

Shorty121
    Free Member

I would be surprised if the logos were on the outside rather than facing the wheel

wwaswas

I would be surprised if the logos were on the outside rather than facing the wheel

why, the front mounts that way?

bigjim

i’m not using a formula mount on the back as i only have a 180mm version

so is it not a 165mm mount then if it isn’t the formula one?

chojin
    Free Member

Any luck?

Superficial
    Free Member

Is the mount for a front brake? The front one says F-180 on it – does the rear say R-160? If it says F-160, there’s your problem.

EDIT: Ignore. A front 160mm adaptor would be too small, rather than too big.

Only a few possibilities left. What size is the rotor? Definitely 160?

chojin
    Free Member

Or the wheel isn’t sat in the dropout correctly 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR5 disc brake set-up (Formula RX) discs seem too small?!?’ is closed to new replies.