Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Yesterdays Ride: Ambergate – Derbyshire
  • will
    Free Member

What a great ride, not a spot of mud around, just ots of dusty fast trails.

Anyway, video here, enjoy 🙂

larry

looks good! I had no idea there was much riding out that way. I live in chesterfield and normally ride out hope way but think I will have to do some exploring in Ambergate now.

will
    Free Member

Yeh it is a great area Larry. Different to Hope etc…But just as much fun i think.

Vortexracing

what package do you use to edit the videos will?

adey205
    Free Member

looks like a cracking route will,
    any chance of some details?

will
    Free Member

I use windows media player, came with the computer, so nothing too technical 😆

Yeh, no worries Adey, i’ll try and get something sorted.

cogglepin

Whats the first song on there Wiil?

will
    Free Member

Incubus – Are you in

I love those trails – for those that don’t know, there’s loads of good riding round Ambergate, Matlock, Chatsworth and Bakewell.

Will – where was the last section of trail from around 6-7mins. Looks like you were back in Crich Chase as per the start of the vid, but I don’t think I’ve been down that bit?

You looked quick down Black Rocks too 🙂

Do you ever go up shining cliff too, over the other side of the A6 and come down behind the old wireworks? That’s a good trail.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Hey those are my new local trails, they look super.

First bit was Crich Chase from the lane at the top right? and at about 5 minutes there’s the big rocky shining cliff downhill?

Other than that I was totally lost. Any chance of a gps trail or some trail tips (by email to stw@joemarshall.org.uk would be fine if you don’t want to post on here)

Joe

The middle bit was Black Rocks above Cromford.

Where you based joe?

All the best, Dave Marshall

al2000

Good video – rode a lot of those trails on monday night.

Last bit is Shining Cliff, much steeper than the video makes it look!

Excellent riding round there, but it’s all cheek and Ambergate in particular is a sensitive spot – posting GPS etc maybe not a good idea.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Belper. Currently riding offroad on unicycle only, although I’m half tempted to buy a proper bike just to be able to do longer rides, and also to have a go at doing offroad Belper->Nottingham commute every so often – might be even more fun than the 16 mile each way road ride on the A609 (which is really fun too, and I am getting quite fit!).

Joe

al2000

That last descent would be, erm, ‘interesting’ on a unicycle!

joemarshall – Member
    Belper. Currently riding offroad on unicycle only, although I’m half tempted to buy a proper bike just to be able to do longer rides, and also to have a go at doing offroad Belper->Nottingham commute every so often – might be even more fun than the 16 mile each way road ride on the A609 (which is really fun too, and I am getting quite fit!).

Joe

Ah, ok.

*steps away from the hippy*

😉

will
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I would rather not post a full gps route thing, partly because i don’t know how, but secondly because as Al said it is a sensitive place to ride, i can do a brief description, but i think describing the whole route may get me into trouble 😆

Basically first section as people have said is Crich Chase, there are so many trails in there, so trying to describe where i went would be, well, very hard. You then basically go along cromford canal, then up to blackrocks. Then down from blackrocks. That decent is pure brilliant, very fast, and very rough in places. After that you then make your way over to Shining Cliff (I would advise looking on a map for a good route) Then down the wood to the old wire works. That is what the last decent in teh video is. There are alot of DH tracks in Shining cliff, there great fun, but do take some finding. Anyway, hope that helps 🙄

joemarshall
    Free Member

That descent in Shining Cliff is a bit scary, although there’s the one sort of up the hill directly above the other end of the wireworks near the top road that is just full on crazy mad.

I can see from the map where the Black Rocks stuff is now I know that’s where it is, it’s obvious once you look at the 1:25000 map and compare it to the video. Cheers for that.

I haven’t found a nice way from Cromford over to Shining Cliff other than back along midshires way, then down to Whatstandwell and up the road that goes along the back. Does the job I guess, but it is always a bit unsatisfying descending on roads.

Joe

PaulB
    Free Member

Hi,

Without spoiling anyones fun and enjoyment, but the increasing use of footpaths in the SSSI’s of Shining Cliff is beginning to really upset the landowners (National Trust, Forest Enterprise and Grith Pioneers)and Natural England. The use of bikes is not being helped by motorcycles and horses within the woodland.
    So stick to the hard tracks and try and promote sustainable use of what is there, have a word with those folk that could cause a heavier approach to be used.

Its a great place, but we are treading a fine line with some folk.We are tolerated at present lets keep it that way, keep it quiet?

An interested local with a foot in both camps.

Paul.

will
    Free Member

Agree Paul! I never stray off paths which are already there, I’m well aware of the status of the wood, and really dont want to see it spoilt either 🙂

takisawa2

I rode up this way a few months back, with a chap I know through work & his group. It certainly included Shining Cliff Woods & Ambergate Woods, & this talk of an old Wireworks rings a bell also.
    Was a cracking ride.
    Your not one Andy Mack’s group are you Will?

takisawa2

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Nice vid – my local trails(that I rarely ride anymore) are Derbyshire, not as good as that though.

will
    Free Member

Nope, don’t know who andy is 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good video. Great trails too by the look of them

will
    Free Member

Thanks buzz, they are great! Very dry and fast

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Isn’t everywhere great at the moment? I feel like I’m starting to get back into the zone downhilling on these dry trails.

Jimbikes
    Free Member

Yeah please no more posting of our local dodgy trails, they get enough use without attracting more interest!

theboatman
    Free Member

Great video, Will 😀 I’ve been riding those trails week in week out for more years than I care to remember, and that’s the first good footage I’ve seen of them, keep up the good work!

will
    Free Member

thanks alot boatman 🙂

cuckoo
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed the trails 8)

Agree with what Paul B said though about riding in SSCI.

Here is a link to a news report some 5 years ago. Since then the erosion problems have become much worse and I have started noticing MX’s tracks in there recently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3488692.stm

Also there have been measures taken by the landowners to spoil the trails. The Black Rocks run that you mention used to be clear all the way down to the A6 but now there are fences and gates across a number of the paths that seemed to be erected with thwarting mountain bikers as at least part of the reason(an elderly gentleman was run into apparently).

There are also alot of large tree trunks being moved to deliberatly block trails and i fear this may be the future we face if we keep posting on forums like this 🙁

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I don't think there is a need to stop posting about trails like this. This place is aleady widely known.

There is even a page for ambergate woods over on gravity slaves giving it a review and how to get there so its to late unfortunately. Check it out.

null

There was a big fuss in early 2000's when an MBUK rider going by the name of John Holbrook used to visit and knocked down a section of dry stone walling to make a DH track a few metres longer. That is when it started to kick off. He hasn't been back for a long time, and I believe its all calmed down a bit now. Enjoy the riding in there!

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

I THINK WE SHOULD STOP POSTING ABOUT THE TRAILS SO I CAN KEEP THEM ALL TO MYSELF! 😉 😆

matlockmeat
    Free Member

You local PinkStiffee? I only live opposite the woods and ride in there most days. I don't want to keep it a secret so no one else can ride it but wish anyone that does ride it pays it a bit of respect. Staying on way marked tracks etc.

I ride a white orange patriot so keep a look out for me. I take it you ride a Cove.

Crell
    Free Member

Missed this first time round. Another good vid Will. It's about 5 miles from me so I may well bump in to you folks there. Say hi if you see someone on a grey foes. If anyone wants to give me a slow (still recovering from a broken leg) tour I'd appreciate it 🙂 email addy in my profile.

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Bit late posting but yes matlockmeat ironically I live in Matlock! Did ride a Cove but now on a Cotic Soda. Will keep em peeled 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Yesterdays Ride: Ambergate – Derbyshire’ is closed to new replies.