Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • YerTiz Trail, Bristol – Claims senior MTB'er in DropOff Disaster
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Last Wednesday myself the GF and my dad [73] decided to visit the new YerTiz trail Bristol’s Leigh Woods.

Whilst riding the trail we ended up in the skills area and my dad got in front and tackled the first drop off with no worries but was sadly claimed by the second one :-(. He claimed he didn’t realise he was in the skills area as hie didn’t see any signs 😉

He stacked big time into the ground and bashed his shoulder with loads of cuts and grazes all down his left side. He also smashed his helmet into various pieces. We patched him up the best we could and got him back to the car park.

We decide to take him to the our local doctors for a check up and seemed OK. It was advised if had a problems got to Yate walk in for a XRAY etc. Next day he was feeling quite sorry for himself. The following day his voiced had changed and started swelling around his chest and neck. We then took him to YATE and they took one look at him and a bunch of paramedics and doctors etc. sent him directly to Frenchey A&E with punctured lung 8O.

He was in hospital until last night and is now back home 🙂

Thanks to some of the other riders who stopped and offered some help.

Quite a little scare that one. And a big thumbs up to the Emergency services involved 🙂

PS: He wants a BMX now and also has suggested Hangliding!

IMG_6768 by SGMTB, on Flickr

MrAgreeable

Glad to hear your dad’s OK Mike – didn’t he have some serious heart problems the other year too?

PS: He wants a BMX now and also has suggested Hangliding!

Good lad!

redthunder
    Free Member

@Mr Agreeable

He’s packing a pacemaker now set a 50bpm.

He looking at CRC right now for a new helmet 🙂

PS: The new trail is quite nice BTW 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Umm, I’m risking a flaming here, but punctured lung at 73 tackling a drop off? He’s my bloody hero, I suddenly don’t feel as old as I did and hope I can puncture my lung in my 70’s being a rad grandad.

redthunder
    Free Member

@toys19

🙂

He not allowed back on his bike for 4 weeks, but he’s already planning to ignore that, I’m going to hide his bike!.

FuzzyWuzzy

I like his attitude 😉 Mind you it’s the third drop-off that seems designed to increase the NHS’s workload. Why they did it like that (on a bit of a curve so you naturally head off the side unless you know what to expect) I don’t know.

nickjb
    Free Member

Judging by the chainring scars in the edge there’s a few people having issues with the third drop-off

redthunder
    Free Member

@FuzzyWuzzy

I agree you with there.

I don’t want to criticise the drop area as we enter it at our own risk. But a bigger warning sign like a Skull&Crossbones I’ve at other trails might be worth a thought.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

gfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

acjim
    Free Member

Heal soon fella!

That 3rd drop is rollable isn’t it? Or does it catch on the big ring (for those who still have one!).

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ouch!

He not allowed back on his bike for 4 weeks, but he’s already planning to ignore that,

Good lad! 😀 – heal soon

Milkie
    Free Member

Drop Area?
    Is that these?

& Fair shout to your Dad! He’s a hero. 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

I think it was this one…
    http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/ride-report-ashton-court-yer-tiz-jan-2012/#

from the MTB Swindon site.

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s in good shape for a 73 year old.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it’s just this one only a small drop but you can just about see it’s coming off a bend so you naturally keep drifting to the right unless you know you need to tighten up a lot to make it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘YerTiz Trail, Bristol – Claims senior MTB'er in DropOff Disaster’ is closed to new replies.