Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Yay – lighter evenings start tomorrow!
  • Esme
    Free Member

Yes, I realise it’s still a week off the shortest day . . . but the good news is that evenings start to get lighter as from today!

Sunrise and sunset times (in Manchester) show that today is the earliest sunset (15:49), and dusk is now getting later.

(I’m taking a guess on the actual seconds, as the website only shows hours and minutes).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yay! Summers almost here.

rocketman
    Free Member

the good news is that evenings start to get lighter as from today

stumpy01

This is wondrous news!!

DezB
    Free Member

Thats good – but it was the first time today I’ve left for work in the dark, so does sunrise get later? or was it just the shitty weather?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sunrise 08:40 Sunset 15:43
    Sunrise 08:41 Sunset 15:43
    Sunrise 08:42 Sunset 15:43
    Sunrise 08:43 Sunset 15:43
    Sunrise 08:44 Sunset 15:43
    Sunrise 08:44 Sunset 15:44
    Sunrise 08:45 Sunset 15:44
    Sunrise 08:46 Sunset 15:44
    Sunrise 08:46 Sunset 15:45
    Sunrise 08:47 Sunset 15:45

I feel somewhat shortchanged by this enthusiasm! 😆

Esme
    Free Member

Sorry, DezB, you’ll have to wait until December 29 for the mornings to start improving.

Alex

1st Jan for us before we get relief at the other end of the day.. We’re a fair way west but tomorrow night it’s lighter by 2 seconds. TWO. WHOLE. SECONDS. This cheers me up no end and I shall now refer to the rest of the cold, dark and miserable winter as ‘Pre-Spring’.

Although after last night’s ‘Return of the Swamp Thing’ ride, that might be stretching it a bit 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

Basically the changes in sunrise and sunset times aren’t symmetrical so while sunset is now going to be later each day, sunrise is also later each day and by a greater amount so the effective day length is still shortening. Sunrise doesn’t get earlier until Jan but the effective minimum occurs on or around 20th Dec

ransos
    Free Member

It’s all because the solar day is slightly longer than 24 hours at this time of year.

DezB
    Free Member

so the effective day length is still shortening.

Oh, full of the joys of er, winter, you are! Thread starts bright, gets gloomier.. 🙁

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s all because the solar day is slightly longer than 24 hours at this time of year.

I want my days to be 24hours long, nothing more and nothing less. Bloody EU!!!

matt_outandabout

I feel somewhat shortchanged by this enthusiasm!

+1

🙁

LadyGresley
    Free Member

15.42 here on the east coast, doesn’t change til Friday, 15.43 🙁
    I shall look forward to the later sunset when in the west Saturday!

P-Jay
    Free Member

This is good news, ‘hump day’ on a annual scale.

It only seems like 15 mins ago I hung up my post-work-ride boots for the winter, just the messy business of Jan and Feb to endure and I’m back at it!

I can tell the Gym to piss off for another 6 months too!

ransos
    Free Member

I want my days to be 24hours long, nothing more and nothing less. Bloody EU!!!

The evenings will be light all year round, once we’ve left. I read it on the side of a bus…

myti
    Free Member

That is the best news I’ve heard all day!

Northwind

Countdown to someone posting that mint sauce

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

15.43… seriously? it really is grim up north.

its a positively glorious 16.20 sunset right now down here in abundantly daylight resplendent cornwall.

binners

*Dons Speedos*

yetidave
    Free Member

been dark up her for months.

senorj

Op is a bit premature to celebrate the Birth of the sun IMO .
    I’m waiting for the 25th.
    Hurrah.

fifeandy
    Free Member

15.34 here and doesn’t change to 15.35 until the 19th, so if you lot can keep the enthusiasm under control and let me focus on my misery until next week it’d be much appreciated!

Esme
    Free Member

Andy, if you are in Fife, then you’re in the middle of nine days of 15:34 dusks. So it’ll probably be a few seconds lighter by Thursday. Please feel free to join in the celebrations 😉

LadyGresley
    Free Member

binners – Member
    *Dons Speedos*

*Dons blindfold*

stuey
    Free Member

The sun bathes every cm^2 of us with 65 billion neutrinos a second(even at night)

Sorry if you can’t see them 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

Now is the time to start looking at the trees and thinking, they’ll sprout soon, they’ve gone purple…soon all the excess water on the trails will be sucked up and spat out as leaves…

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Time to break out the factor 50 again. Happy days.

bruneep

0843 / 1525 in aberdeen

badllama
    Free Member

Cool best get the shirt out

😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Yay – lighter evenings start tomorrow!’ is closed to new replies.