Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Y6 Maths "Angles in Polygons"
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

I would like some help please before my 11y old and I kill each other

He’s got a homework sheet on the above

The first column is number of sides
    The second is number of right angles
    The final one is total sum of angles

Now I get the triangle and quadrilateral number of sides but the right angle thing is doing my head in!

According to the teacher a triangle has 2 right angles
    Well yes Miss 2*90 = 180 ie the total in a **** triangle but where actually are the 2 right angles?

Or am I taking this too literally?

Theres obviously more to it
    A quadrilateral always has 4 right angles even when its not a square or rectangle

Help 🙂

thepurist

Its maths Jim, but not as we know it…

andytherocketeer

the teacher is wrong

wysiwyg
    Free Member

A quadrilateral always has 4 right angles? Say what!?

Flaperon

I think the idea behind this is to divide the polygons into triangles. Each time you add a side (triangle to quadrilateral, quadrilateral to pentagon, etc), you add another 180 degrees to the total.

The right angles thing is wrong, plain and simple, because the teacher doesn’t understand the subject. You understand it because you’ve spotted the mistaken assumption that dividing the total of the interior angles by 90 degrees gives you an answer in “right angles”.

Primary school teachers aren’t maths teachers. The way this exercise should be set is to look at dividing the polygons into triangles, at which point you observe that the total angle in the shape is equal to the (number of sides – 2) * 180.

andyl
    Free Member

The final one is total sum of angles

ie the sum and the rule is a triangle has 2×90=180 as a total. The angles can obviously not be 90 + 90 but a right angle triangle has 1 x 90deg and the other two angles add up to 90 deg to form the 2 x 90 deg.

If one angle is 178 deg then the other two must add up to 2 deg.

In a quadrilateral the sum is 360 deg which is 4 x 90 deg. could be 100 + 80 twice but will still be 360.

I think the teacher is just demonstrating the rule in a confusing way but is doing to to demonstrate the pattern which will relate to 90 deg angles. A pentagon will follow the rule and be 6 x 90.

Personally I would say a triangle is 1 x 180, a quadrilateral is 2 x 180 and a pentagon is 3 x 180 etc etc. But maybe they find sticking to 90 deg less confusing.

thepurist

Wysiwyg at least you can draw a quadrilateral with 4 right angles, I’m interested in this triangle with 2

scaredypants

poor description, but teacher seems to be using “2 right angles” as some sort of shit shorthand for 180 degrees of total internal angles (why it should be easier to say 2×90 rather than 1×180, I dunno)

They traditionally teach that you split a shape into triangles and these each add 180 to the total

so traingle has 1 triangle = 180
    quadrilateral has 2 = 360
    pentagon, 3 = 540

etc

(n-2)x180

Cougar

poor description, but teacher seems to be using “2 right angles” as some sort of shit shorthand for 180 degrees

Yeah, maybe it’s to help visualise the angles. “270 degrees” is meaningless at first, whereas “three right angles” is immediately accessible. It’s a bit weird though.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

thepurist – Member
    Wysiwyg at least you can draw a quadrilateral with 4 right angles, I’m interested in this triangle with 2

This is simple conceptual physics, a triangle is a three sided shape which satisfies a series of rules. Draw one on a sphere and in the context of the sphere the triangle is two dimensional. Extrapolate that same triangle onto a plane which is flat and it ceases to conform to several of the rules which you consider make it a triangle, it’s still planar, still has three sides but no longer has angles which sum to 180degrees, and the sides don’t appear straight but, it is clearly still a triangle at the same time. Frankly I’m amazed they don’t teach this stuff at an earlier age.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Got it!

Thanks, and a virtual shandy from the lad to you all 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Dangerous brain – you’re talking about non-Euclidean geometry. I think that only comes up in year 7 🙂

scaredypants

I always liked that puzzle:

“How can you walk south for a mile, then east for a mile and then north for a mile and end up exactly where you started”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Y6 Maths "Angles in Polygons"’ is closed to new replies.