Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Xc race bike.
  • penglish1
    Free Member

Need some inspiration to build a new xc race machine, simple thread, show me your race machines, 29er or them old school 26ers 😀
    Am think hardtail carbon 26ers xtr groupset, but fit carbon fsa crankset ( cheap on chain reaction) formula r1 brakes, Stan alpine rims with American classic hubs.

gee
    Free Member

I definitely go 29er. Cheap Chinese frame from eBay, and then 1×10.

Those FSA chainsets are cheap as they are odd ratios and the pedal inserts keep coming out…

rewski
    Free Member

R1s ott for xc?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

This year’s XC race bike. Trek 9.9ssl with XT bits, Reba Race, and American Classic wheels.

(Frame potentially for sale, size 19.5)

FSA cranksets are not too well liked on this forum.

AndyF1
    Free Member

I dont race,but im now back on this Old fast hardtail. Its not reet fast at slowing down sometimes.

penglish1
    Free Member

I’ve been out on a 29er and just could not get on with it. R1’s I have had them before and love them, may be ott but running them with 160mm rotors. Think I’ll go with a obrea alam carbon frame.
    Regarding the crankset I heard a couple of bad reports but I’ ve also heard good things about them so my mind is not made up yet.
    The trek is lovely Swedish chef. Are you running rock shox sid xx,if so how do you find them.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

No not SID’s, although I ridden them quite a bit and can’t really nice the flex that everybody says they experience with them.

Considering DT Swiss for next year as the Reba’s are getting on some what.

penglish1
    Free Member

ThanksSwedish chef. Andy f1, I bet it can take some stopping but I bet it’s great fun. Keep them coming people. I just hope the weather is better next year than this year as it was shocking racing in rain, rain and more rain.

r53sport
    Free Member

What about one of these? 650B

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for Gee’s suggestion.

Or the Canyon carbon hardtail. £3k with XTR and all that.

c_klein87
    munrobiker
    Free Member

Winningest bike I’ve owned, I get much better results on the Anthems I’ve had than on hardtails.

xcstu
    Free Member

26″ all the way 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My current (XC/Everything) race bike, though I did drop the tyres to Ardents….

penglish1
    Free Member

Take my hat off to you mike riding that Santa Cruz as a xc race bike. I need to win the lottery and I would buy all of them, am trying to upload a photo of my 2013 race bike bu no luck so far.

br
    Free Member

Back in the day:

Quickly swapped the bars to a wider low-riser.

penglish1
    Free Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90751145@N05/8247209101/. My part built bike for next year. Still need some bits, all the running gear is on now, full xtr and Sid xx fork, which are going to be put down to 80mm as am only 10 stone so no weight.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s going to be really nice, trouble is you’ll have no excuses with a bike like that 😀

andypaul99
    Free Member

29ers definitely quicker On paper but just not very exciting to ride I vote for xcstu’s stumpy s-works – wish I never sold mine. Such a exciting quick bike.

penglish1
    Free Member

Well I’ve got one excuse in my back pocket, my nine month old son. 🙂 It’s coming on I’ve bought a lot of stuff off chain reaction, and pink bike. Xtr 2012 rear mech from American £40 pounds and egg beater ti pedals for 72 pounds so trying to keep cost down.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Xc race bike.’ is closed to new replies.