Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • X frames
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

So, I’ve convinced myself that I need a x bike. Gonna use it for commuting duties, road riding and mucking about in the woods. Deffo want discs, looking at the cotic x, genesis croix and the on one pomp. Are the frames that different in the weight/tubing quality department? Really like the look of the cotic but is it really worth nearly twice as much as the on one or genesis?

mav12
    Free Member

think the genesis is a bit heavier as it is steel it gets good reviews

iirc a guy rode around the world on one

cynic-al
    Free Member

See my recent thread on this topic. Cotic >X< appears to be 4.5lb as does Vaya and some other Salsa. To make them any lighter is apparently difficult due to CEN.

I’m gonna try and get a test ride of a Genesis as the frames are quite cheap but I suspect also pretty heavy.

I may just pick up an old 531 frame on ebay and get the welding done.

ourmaninthenorth

Pompino is SS only. Kaffenback or Uncle John may be better.

Cotic didn’t get a brill review from raod.cc, and the weight bothers me slightly. It’s also 135mm spaced at the rear, so you’ll need to have specific wheels built.

Also have a think about Surly.

I love the look of the All City Nature Boy: http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy

Discs have only just been permitted for cross racing by the UCI, so expect a bit of time for the technology to trickle into the more mainstream cross brands. Once some decent lightweight STI compatible discs become available, I think there will be more avialbility.

I’ve just built a SS cross bike from my old road fixed, and it’s good fun. However, next year I’ll build something light for racing (maybe a Milnes or decent Kinesis).

ourmaninthenorth

I may just pick up an old 531 frame on ebay and get the welding done.

It’s been a cheap entry for me, though brakes-wise I’m still using the Weinmann single pivots the bike was originally fitted with. Not perfect (well, they don’t realy work in the wet), but offer reasonable clearance. And it’s avoided bothering with having canti studs welded on.

Only ridden twice (once after new headset fitted), and so far a silly way to have more fun!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Sooo a £450 frame that weighs nearly 5 lbs (carbon fork makes up for it a bit) the on one has horizontal dropouts but a mech hanger/tensioner would sort that. Still interested in the genesis..any ideas on weight?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just rung up Alpine re. the Criox de Fer – reckoned around 5lb for the frame, but for £340 for F&F that’s not bad I suppose.

They agreed that CEN has fubared the chances of any light cross frames.

paul78
    Free Member

Everyone seems to overlook the Kinesis Tripster.

I’m having a fairly decent cross season racing one so weight is not an issue but its also a very versatile bike with rack mounts and bottle bosses.

Goz
    Free Member

Euroboy hijacking gozzers account!! – what was the question again? Well if I had loads of money to spend and liked the cotic then i’d get the cotic but, if you are on more of a budget then I would get either the genesis or the on one. What tyres are you going to use 😉

Hope that helps!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Can you get genesis – euroboy? I’m sure you could sort a ‘good’ deal for me 😀

Goz
    Free Member

Do you like it? or should I say, do you want it sir, oh in that special way sir,over the crossbar sir oh!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

i’ll bring the cheese 8O!

ha loads of money to spare…..what with nohands jnr in tow now….no way!!! are trek doing any disc cross frames? 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘X frames’ is closed to new replies.