Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • wrist supports for riding
  • daftvader
    Free Member

evening…i am soon to go under the knife for a tfcc and ulnar ligament repair which will hopfully put me back in the saddle (havnt ridden for almost a year). does anyone know of any other wrist supports for riding other than the 661 ones. i tried them on and didnt find them comfortable.
    cheers

andyl
    Free Member

I tried some of the 661 ones that are like the wrist supports you get from the NHS – ie the ones with a thumb loop and a splint. They were actually a lot better than the NHS ones for everyday support but just oo disconnecting from the bike due to the bulkyness. I also tried some Canterbury wrist supports which were useless.

I have settled on the 661 pro supports. They are just simple wrist wraps with removable foam stiffeners so before I tried them I thought they would be rubbish but they actually do support quite well and don’t interfere with your palm.

davosaurusrex

Best I found were the fox gloves with the wrist wraps, called Pawtectors or something similar? Unfortunately I think they’re discontinued and everything else that passes over the palm impedes your grip of the erm, grip IMO. So not much help,soz.

daftvader
    Free Member

may try the 661 ones again once i have been fixed. will look and see if fox still do a similar product. cheers….. any one else?

glupton1976
    Free Member

This may come across the wrong way, but seeing at they’re going in to fix it anyway – why dont you just ride without any support?

OR
    an alternative to a wrist support might be to bandage your wrist up using boxers wraps or some such similar bandage.

daftvader
    Free Member

no worries glupton…after speaking to the consultant he recomended that i had some support for riding off road for a couple of months after it has healed. i just figured that a riding specific one or one that people on here may have used would be better than a normal bandage

andyl
    Free Member
    daftvader
    Free Member

ive got a shed load of conforming bandage which is the same stuff. good suggestion tho!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I find keeping my wrists in a good position with ergon grips helps prevent aches and pains, and would help you maintain a neutral wrist position as you heal.

TiRed

I’d second Ergon grips. Set up so the palm pad faces up about 30 degrees to keep a neutral position. Once set properly they are very supportive. Come in two sizes so check your hand size first.

mtbscoop
    Free Member

Had a similar opp 18 months ago, got various supports but found I didn’t actually need them. Found a neoprene support with a strap around the wrist was all I needed, and ditched that after a couple of weeks. So would see how you get on before buying.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Also look at bars like the one-one midge, which give you a more comfortable position.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used the 661 with the plastic splints when I badly sprained my wrist (then crahed again really **** it up).

You can’t realy wear gloves with them (too warm more than anything else), but after a few miles I stopped noticing.

skiprat
    Free Member

I had capal tunnel op and got a 661 one with the removable splints. It was more to hold the muscles on the palm of my hand in place.

Worked great and although a littel bulky, it could be worn under gloves. Used for maybe 6 months. Still sometimes use it in the cold when my hand aches a bit.

100mphplus
    Free Member

After numerous wrist injuries over the years the best wrist support I have found is by bioskin.

http://www.bioskin.com/bio-skin-braces-and-supports/wrist-braces-and-support/

They are fairly thin so you can get your normal gloves over them and the material isn’t sweaty like the neoprene jobs and they are also very hard wearing. I still have a DP2 from 2006 that’s as good as new, whereas other emergency buys when I forgot to take it on holiday lasted 1 or 2 weeks before falling apart.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers for all the suggestions. .. was going to see how the op went before buying anything. 100mph I am an avid supporter (sorry) bioskin… knees, ankle and now wrist… been wearing the dp2 for the last 6 months at work.. 😀
    Tbh I just want to get it done so I can get back on the bike. .. been off for almost a year now. 😥

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘wrist supports for riding’ is closed to new replies.