Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Would you replace this helmet ?
  • leeroybrown
    Free Member

whacked my head on a low branch a week ago, didn’t think much of it at the time
    had the pads today to wash out to find a crack in the foam at the front
    keep using it (possible death) or replace it ?

adult image sharing

peteimpreza

Yes

cynic-al
    Free Member

What crack?

Edit I see it. I wouldn’t.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes. But mainly because Urge are so over for the proper enduro-stylings.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Check the costs of a Crash Replacement but ultimately: YES!

leeroybrown
    Free Member

cheers, your confirming what i thought
    i’ll ping urge a email and see whats the deal

convert

On the basis of little scientific fact but general reluctance to spend money I’d say that my honest answer is that I would say yes, be a bit busy and forget to so have to ride in it(and not die), then use the logic that I’ve not died yet to conveniently forget about it.

andyg1966

So we say ,”Yeah its fine” and you have a spill, the helmnet fails and your brain us hurt, how do we feel? are we liable?

Make your own mind up or replace it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thing is…helmets work by compression of the polystyrene. Which is unaffected by the crack. Granted it may fall apart more easily.

Helmets are quite the con IMO.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Just had a email back from decade europe they want £55 for a crash replacement
    I can buy one from crc for less than than, I may keep using it as my night riding lid and risk death

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Each to his own but I wouldn’t.

v666ern
    Free Member

nobody dies at night, fact.

😆

zinaru
    Free Member

now you’ve asked the question, you need to replace it.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

New helmet ordered!
    I’ll try not to use the old one I promise

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Not sure I dare ask and certainly daren’t click it, but why does the link below your picture say adult image sharing..?!

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m not sure I didn’t notice it before
    Click it and let me know!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably because he talks about “whacking ng” his “helmet” so the internet assumes its mucky business.

philjunior
    Free Member

On the basis of little scientific fact but general reluctance to spend money I’d say that my honest answer is that I would say yes, be a bit busy and forget to so have to ride in it(and not die), then use the logic that I’ve not died yet to conveniently forget about it.

Exactly what I’d do unless the pads were really smelly and I couldn’t find replacements.

zelak999
    Free Member

Risk of imminent death.
    Use and you may experience an untimely demise….

crankboy
    Free Member

My first thought was yes replace it that was before I opened the thread , you can usually get the correct answer from the title of this sort of thread . then I looked at the picture and thought no then I saw the correct crack full thickness at the front. On balance the correct answer is replace I suspect it would still provide a good level of protection but why chance it when it clearly has a significant clear weak point.

garage-dweller

To miss quote the red hot chilli peppers

If you have to ask, you already know
    Funky helmet breaker to bikeshop you should go

helpful1
    Free Member

Helmets are quite the con.

Right on brother!
    Bet he wouldn’t have headered the branch at all if he hadn’t been wearing his expensive fashion garment in the first place. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course helpful1, they can’t be improved 🙄

scotroutes

Bet he wouldn’t have headered the branch at all if he hadn’t been wearing his expensive fashion garment in the first place.

There’s someone lives not that far from you used that very excuse .

leeroybrown
    Free Member

It’s not going to happen again I’m going to take a saw to the branch tomorrow night
    I can afford for it to happen again

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You can buy a cheap helmet for £25 on sale – surely worth less than your life – just!

Glad you are sawing it – be careful!

Travis

Hi jacking the thread a moment, how often do you buy a new helmet?
    Do you buy it for change?

TiRed

No, i’d wear that and not be worried. Al is absolutely right, helmets work by decelerating the brain more slowly than blunt impact due to compression. I won’t share my picture, but it’s actually quite hard to see the damage to my road helmet.

The outer shell and internal reinforcements will be what holds the lid in tact.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s not going to happen again I’m going to take a saw to the branch tomorrow night

Or you could save a tree branch and a load of cash and just watch where you are going next time ? 🙄

globalti
    Free Member

I definitely wouldn’t replace it; as long as it wasn’t actually broken into two halves I’d carry on in the knowledge that there was a fat lump of styrene between my noggin and the ground, which is the purpose of a cycle helmet.

They are not supposed to have structural strength like a motorcycle helmet, which protects aginst point impacts from road furniture etc. They are simply supposed to pad your head and slow the deceleration, as mentioned above.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

my head I dont take chances, Ive been through a few helmets and always change them if their cracked.

Your head your life and your future

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Would you replace this helmet ?’ is closed to new replies.