Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Would a car garage do a straight swap (idiot content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If you shift at 3krpm the new gear will be higher than 2krpm so if the revs stay up and there’s still a pause I suggest there’s something wrong with the car……

If the turbo doesn’t spool down then you aren’t experiencing turbo lag, by definition…

And it would. I’m right and you know it.

Of course. But you’re not comparing like for like then.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But you’re not comparing like for like then

I never said I was. You tried to put those words into my mouth to prove a point. (This could go on for a while)

If the turbo doesn’t spool down then you aren’t experiencing turbo lag, by definition

Christ Almighty. (What’s that saying about arguing with the stupid? 😉 ) I never said it WAS turbo lag. I said “There’s a distinct pause when you change gear” and “pausing for each gear change”

Let’s pick this to bits shall we?

No matter how fast I can change gear (And I am fast) there’s a drop off in revs. In any car without some form of quick-shifter. Fact.
    Now, maybe it’s a split second of turbo lag as the revs tail off, maybe it’s the electronics taking their time, maybe the fuel pump, maybe the flux capacitor, or what it had for breakfast. To be honest, I don’t know for sure. And I don’t really care. it’s not my car.

What I DO know it that there’s a pause. It’s not much of a pause, probably miniscule, but I notice it. Maybe other people aren’t as sensitive as me? Dunno. And so, for me, it detracts from the car. Not massively, becasue it is quick, and I could live with it TBH.

I couldn’t live with those brakes though…. They are, and I choose my words carefully here, absolutely shit.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no turbo lag above about 1800rpm really
    No, it’s not too bad, but there’s a distinct pause when changing gear

I assumed you were talking about lag in your response.. apologies.

So you don’t like that particular engine and car, that’s fine, but you did start talking about diesels in general having poor throttle response and no low down power.. which isn’t really true when making a fair comparison…..

Let’s pick this to bits shall we?

There’s really no need 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

f*ck me! worst case of thread hijack ive ever seen!!!! 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Ignoring all the MPG geekery and willy waving, back to the OP:

Don’t swap a car you bought 6 months ago thinking you’re going to gain financially because of the poor MPG – depreciation is one of the biggest costs of car ownership and you’ll take a huge hit on that. Not only that, but with your mileage figures it’s unlikely a diesel actually makes sense.

If your wife hates it, then why don’t you drive it and let her have the car she’s happy with?

Though I’m still a little bemused with the idea that a Focus is a “big” car – difficult to even get a bike in the boot when carrying kids IME.

br
    Free Member

And that Brera, my mate has one (3.2 4-wheel drive); he drives like a pussy yet still on just breaks 20mpg…

Don’t be confused by the engine badges, its a GM V6 as per the Vectra/Omega, plus its a heavy old girl.

Inbred456
    Free Member

The amount you will lose would buy a lot of road tax and fuel. If you only do 14k you will probably never make it up in cheaper tax and mpg over the life of the car. Having said that a nagging wife can be a great motivation to do almost anything to stop the moaning. I know I have just bought a caravan a car to tow it and all the crap that goes with it. She still hasn’t told me when we can go away because we have so many things on! I’m told that caravans hold their value better than cars so I should make most of it back when we sell it unused by us 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Would a car garage do a straight swap (idiot content)’ is closed to new replies.