Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Worth getting a nice pro service on a set of 2004 MX Pros?
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

I like them, but I have no idea how they compare to today’s £300-ish forks. Good money after average? Or are they so good people wish they still made em like that?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Damping wise they’re basic in the extreme, but they do go on forever.

They’re really easy to DIY service, if you can install a mech , install some brakes , fit new cables nope, it’s easier than an easy thing. Even the bushings are tool free.

How are the seals at the moment? If the bushings don’t have any play and there isnt oil passing the seals I’d just do an oil change and leave them.

Not worth sending away for a service, even a full set of oil, bushings and seals would only cost you <£40 and only needs an adjustable spanner, allen key and a screwdriver to service them.

jonba
    Free Member

Doubt a pro service will do much. Worth having a go yourself. Mine used to be much better after an oil change. They don’t perform as well as modern forks but in a way I did wish they made them like that. The open bath with loads of oil made them much less likely to develop stanchion issues like modern forks.

takisawa2

Had some 04’s that were hardly used. Even after an oil change they weren’t a patch on some dual air Revs.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Spoony’s got it right i think. Easy to service or change oil yourself ~ a pro service may well cost more than they’re worth.

normski
    Free Member

As per above. If their not leaking oil past the dust wipers and oil seals (below the dust wipers) then just remove the lowers and give them a good clean to get rid of the old murky oil. Dont take out the wipers and oil seals unless your replacing them as they’ll get damaged on removal.
    You can find oil levels for all years of Marzocchi’s here. Just use 7.5wt
    http://www.marzocchi.com/template/contenuto.asp?LN=UK&IDFolder=777
    Oh, bushes are factory fit only on these. It was the earlier models that had long slotted ‘home fit’ bushes

iamroughrider
    Free Member

keep them running. Older Marzocchis although primative are great.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Thanks, great answers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Worth getting a nice pro service on a set of 2004 MX Pros?’ is closed to new replies.