Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Worst pub in britain?
  • waynekerr
    Free Member
    JulianA
    Free Member

Sounds nasty!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I got told to f-off when I went to the pseudo-pub by Nurseryland Shopping Centre. Reason? Long hair.
    Never been back again.

geoffj

Sounds like a fairly accurate example of quite a few centres of Highland inhospitality to me.

You can say what you like about the English, bet they/we do tend to do pubs much much better. (Certain Leith hostelries excepted).

crazy-legs

Went into a pub in middle of nowhere mid/north Wales once, the place went silent as we walked in. When the conversation started again, everyone had changed from talking in English to talking in Welsh.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That happened to me at the George & Dragon in Durham once, even the darts stopped in mid flight! They didn't start talking Welsh though.
    Thankfully it's now…gone.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Unpleasant as it sounds some of the pubs in Birkenhead and Seacome are probably worse. You are unlikely to read about them on the Internet as the regulars don't read/write and no one wanders in by mistake.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Went into a pub in middle of nowhere mid/north Wales once, the place went silent as we walked in. When the conversation started again, everyone had changed from talking in English to talking in Welsh.

If you go to Spain and people are talking in Spanish or France and they're talking in French do you get equally paranoid? It's their language get over it, in some parts of wales it's still their first language and most of them aren't being arrogant or offensive.

Gary_C

in some parts of wales it's still their first language

As I undersatand it,those in the pub were speaking English,then changed to Welsh.

most of them aren't being arrogant or offensive.

Those in that pub obviously were.

adt
    Free Member

The Queens in Farnworth will take some beating

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

As I undersatand it,those in the pub were speaking English,then changed to Welsh.

Must be very perceptive as this happened as soon as they walked in!! The welsh accent in parts of north and mid wales is that strong most people from outside of the area wouldn't understand a word spoken if it was in Welsh or english.

sax_widby
    Free Member

goathland hotel, and i worked there…

retro83
    Free Member

18/07 ::
    Walkers Welcome?
    Have you come to Arran to enjoy its beautiful scenery, incredible natural heritage, or the wide variety of active pursuits on offer? Well you can piss off if you think you're welcome in the Brodick Bar.
    Walkers? ****. And don't even get me started on cyclists.

lol

bassspine
    Free Member

This welsh/english switch thing is wierd. It's often perceived as hostility, but I think that goes with your own attitude. If you hang out with welsh speakers they use english or welsh which ever is more convenient. I have friends in Aberystwyth, and we used to go drinking in some very friendly little places in the surrounding villages, but the locals often had no idea which language they were in.

I remember going into a pub with a bunch of other mmountain bikers and hearing a local saying 'I'd have all of them shot' cue paranoia (later turned out he wasn't talking about us. phew) actually the landlord thought we were great and we had a great evening.

crazy-legs

We could hear some of the conversation through the open window from the street as we were looking at the menu. It was definitely English. I lived in Wales for 4 years and can understand most Welsh accents (as well as speak a bit of basic Welsh).

This isn't an anti-Wales or anti-Welsh rant, I love the place. Went to uni there, been on holiday there, been to races there (and stayed in many friendly B&B's, eaten in many excellent pubs/restaurants), it was just this one pub where the atmosphere was a bit unwelcoming. Still got served though, they were happy enough to take our money. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

i walked into a paras bar with my commando top on once , that was a laugh 😉 (it was done on purpose of course lol)

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

crazy-legs don't want to get into a Wales/England thing either, it's just that I hear it so often from lads I work with in England about how ignorant the Welsh are and it winds me up. They want your custom and are glad you are there,it's what keeps the pubs and trail centres open. You are always gonna get dickheads wherever you go and Wales is no different.

Hadge
    Free Member

Many many years ago went to a pub on my local council estate play a pool match. As we went to the door, the barman was wiping something off the door. He said "don't worry lads it's only blood, there's just been a bit of fight" and he said it as cool as anything lol. Nice pub.

firestarter
    Free Member

a woolly jumper, a nice stew and a great jump… wales the only country you can get one animal to cover all three 😉

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

nice one mick! but have a heart us locals can't get near our sheep because all you lads keep coming here to shag em

firestarter
    Free Member

aye lol i did my climbing instructors course down in wales at the joint services place , cant remember where it was mad this pub in the middle of nowhere and it had a nightclub above it and the girls were very accomodating lol over the wall opposite the club in the field were legs akimbo all over the gaff . the sheep for the most part seemed only to be watching … ah bring back memories 😉

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Doing your bit for anglo-welsh relations 8)

b1galus
    Free Member

tyw nwaddin near bethesda i think well i was the climbing abseilling instructor there in 73

firestarter
    Free Member

oh yes davey lol

heck b1galus i wasnt born then 😉

b1galus
    Free Member

spare a thought for the elderly lol

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Probably loads of little micks running around here now then!

firestarter
    Free Member

bless 😉

davey ive got four here at home i dont want any more turning up lol

warton
    Free Member

simple. The lord collingwood and the duke of northumberland. both now demolished. write ups below from the excellent Burglers Dog…
    the lord colly
    the duke

scary scary places, and both on the same street in newcastle…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I seem to remember the Collingwood as being alright – when are you talking about? – I was drinking in Newcastle in the early/mid eighties.

The Broken Doll opposite the station used to be a bit heavy duty though.

I've experienced the English/Welsh language switch, however it's normally the old folk. Stayed in a pub in Llanfairfechan (SP) whilst working 15 years ago and got to know the young uns. Had a right laugh and even ended up going clubbing in Bangor one night with them.

I do love South Walians though, spending many a school holiday around Gilwern & Crickhowell – they are some of the friendliest folk I've ever met.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

The Man In Space,Trentham,not violent,intimidating,or even Welsh.Just shit! Horrible beer,crap lanlord and they've all been crap and worse of all it saps the life out of you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I've had some experience of the op's pub. An odious wee **** of a man. I spend a fair bit of time on Arran, and I ain't heard a good word about him yet, must be the most hated man on the island.

johni
    Free Member

Go in with 6 mates and order one bag of crisps to share. Take 2 hrs to eat it 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Worst pub in britain?’ is closed to new replies.