Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • worst mountain bike products….EVER!
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

How many did you have?

I like no. 11’s can’t see an issue with them. 😕

Klunk
    Free Member

what’s wrong with fingerless gloves or bar ends 😕

unklehomered
    Free Member

No. 1, right out of the door – loved them on my XC. Only just recently took them off as the brakes didn’t compare to modern standards, but if I could have upgraded to new ones, I probably would have.

I’ve also had lose spacer (annoying) and I don’t mind fingerless gloves, though tend to ride barehand XC in the summer…

jedi

how many people though were guilty of marketing them as the next best thing…………

plyphon
    Free Member

nah bar ends need to stop really. fingerless gloves tho, they’re great for the summer.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d put bars over 750mm but I’m sure that’d provoke howls of derision…

It shouldn’t be products that people just don’t like or have since been improved, it should be things that just didn’t do anything better at the time they were new.

So on that basis, fat saddles should remain on the list.

Flippy shifters as much as I don’t like them clearly do work for some so shouldn’t be there.

Bar ends definitely have uses so they’re off the list.

Zyzxx forks are as bad as they say so they stay.

Onza pedals ditto.

aracer
    Free Member

Still have bar ends, and a long stem!

I agree with most of their list though, and even acknowledge they have a point about long stems.

andylc
    Free Member

What on earth’s wrong with fingerless gloves?? I use them for most of the year – I must be a sad loser…

ton

fisher fat possum is the worst ever mtb product.

Harry_the_Spider

Worst website ever more like. Twas awful to use with my phone.

honourablegeorge

nemesis – Member

I’d put bars over 750mm but I’m sure that’d provoke howls of derision…

That’s like putting in top tubes over 23″ People have different needs and preferences when it comes to sizing.

TheBrick
    Free Member

This is a mtb equivalent of daily mail click bait. Journo writing crap to get a rise.

vinnyeh

I’m sure it was lighthearted, but the author lost all credibility when he wrote…

If you thought riding with SPD’s was dangerous then you obviously never rode with toe clips.

Surely the worst thing about that page is the formatting- I hate those slow to load slideshow lists, what’s wrong with a simple page you can scroll down.

bombjack
    Free Member

Dirt magazine in reusing old article shocker…
    FWIW, most of those products were raved about at the time, or just taken as being part of the mtb landscape (fingerless gloves being one of the worst products??? Really Dirt???) Elastomer forks fitted a need for suspension, just as 27.5+ does for some niche today.
    Even the bloody article reckons that some of the items worked well in correct conditions.

binners

No isis bottom brackets? Or Shimano rapid rise mechs?

Northwind

Somehow I had the wit to resist elastomer forks, and got myself a really nice tange steel rigid at exactly the point where useless suspension was taking over the world. Got slagged for that at the time but I’ve still got that bike.

But, sadly, it did have a flexstem. Pretty much useless at best, and then the elastomer squashed/perished and not only was it useless, the bars weren’t really attached to the bike any more. All rounded, or rather sharpened, off with a shape designed to hack off the penis of any man unlucky enough to crash into it.

On the other hand, I found it in the garage a few years ago and used it to build a gopro mount for the motorbike, which it was really good for.

I still quite like bar ends, in the right place.

Milkie
    Free Member

7/10 for whoever wrote that article, some of those products are just there to fill space. Suspension seatposts should be in there and fingerless gloves shouldn’t nor bar ends, they were effective.

nemesis
    Free Member

Isis possibly

RR rear mechs, again, much as I don’t like them plenty of people do so I don’t see those as an awful product in itself.

richwales

The dirt subscription I had for Christmas isn’t on there??

DezB
    Free Member

I had number 1 and I know a fella in this very office who has put XT ones on his brand new Boardman (though it is a hybrid).

DezB
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    This is a mtb equivalent of daily mail click bait. Journo writing crap to get a rise.

Jeez, maybe it’s just “a bit of fun” 🙄

honourablegeorge

nemesis – Member

RR rear mechs, again, much as I don’t like them plenty of people do so I don’t see those as an awful product in itself.

RR sort of make sense – making it easy to drop to an easier gear, with the “more difficult” shift hapenign when pedalling.

But if you’re tried to live with one bike running RR and others on regular, it’s an easy system to hate.

D0NK

5 for me <edit> 6 I own an STI brake/shifter, never used tho)
    elastomer forks – pretty lame but in it’s time arguably better than rigid (but yeah coil/air better)
    long stems – maybe have a point
    toe clips – in their time better pedalling than flats only, clipless obviously a massive improvement
    bar ends – nowt wrong with them just look crap with risers
    fingerless gloves – ditto, not my cup of tea nowadays tho, prefer lightweight full finger

FWIW, most of those products were raved about at the time

yep, pretty sure I read some glowing reviews of the zzyzx

Or Shimano rapid rise mechs?

Get. Out.

But if you’re tried to live with one bike running RR and others on regular, it’s an easy system to hate.

1 bike is now 10spd so no RR, so far I’m coping with switching between the two systems, rather that than drop RR completely – it will be sorely missed 🙁

nemesis
    Free Member

OK, so what can we all (or almost all, this is STW afterall) agree on?

URT
    Isis BBs
    Zyzxx forks
    Onza pedals

nemesis
    Free Member

yep, pretty sure I read some glowing reviews of the zzyzx

Well if you only rode it round the carpark… 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Go Pros – making mtbers look like nobbers the world over. You know when you look at 90’s mtb images and wince at the helemts/shorts etc, in 10-15 years that’ll be helmet mounted go pros.

LS
    Free Member

My old Onza pedals are the most free-spinning things that I own. I loved them back then. Bar ends are great if the geometry allows/needs them, ditto long stems!

dragon
    Free Member

Onza pedals were fine. At least they didn’t do like Eggbeaters do and explode mid ride.

ISIS bottom brackets are top of my list. I managed less than 60 miles in the dry on one before it started to develop play. (As a comparison my other bike had a square taper that lasted 5+ years riding in all kinds). ISIS f**King joke.

UST is a terrible idea, but that was obvious from the outset so I never bought one.

Mavic 230 rims were pretty bad, amazingly light even by current standards, but they lasted a season of lightweight XC riding at best.

Klunk
    Free Member

should have renamed the article “we hate anything not enduro”

DezB
    Free Member

URT
    Isis BBs
    Zyzxx forks
    Onza pedals

Never tried any of them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A few nerves being touched methinks?

Could it be possible some forum members will be walking in to shed, looking at bike and bursting in tears in the non too distant future?

nemesis
    Free Member

Well I never tried a Zyzxx fork but there was a clear consensus that they worked for about 5 minutes so that’s enough for me 😉

The others were indeed rubbish or at least inferior to other products available at the time.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve never read Dirt magazine and based on that load of bollox, I never will.

aracer
    Free Member

Nope – still have one on my (admittedly now very dated) MTB. Works fine. Admittedly there were a lot of really rubbish ones which wore out quickly (I tried a few before getting my current one), but then I used to get through a lot of Octalink BBs. Ironically I use an AC one which didn’t have a great reputation, but it’s been fine and a big advantage is that you can just replace the bearings.

timraven

fisher fat possum is the worst ever mtb product.

I got caught with one of those too…..utter rubbish

nemesis
    Free Member

I agree that ISIS can work but it didn’t really fundamentally improve things and was flawed – the standard for ISIS made the use of small bearings necessary.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m amazed that no-one else has mentioned loose end caps in hubs before. Mrs PJM has a set of Ringle hubs with 20mm adaptors that will never stay in situ, no matter what.

I’d happily see whoever designed them get a shoeing.

aracer
    Free Member

As did Octalink, which at least IME wore out faster than the ISIS BB I currently have, yet didn’t get the same level of hate.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m surprised they haven’t dragged all the old coffins out; Tioga Disc drive, multicolour lycra, purple anodising…

Oh hang on, that’s come back.

nemesis
    Free Member

Octalink had bigger bearings though so while it may not have been more reliable than all ISIS bbs, it was inherently a better design.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘worst mountain bike products….EVER!’ is closed to new replies.