Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 375 total)
  • worst film ever …….
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I enjoyed Battleship. Twice. There I said it!

jimjam
    Free Member

garage-dweller

The test being I could never sit through either again – and I have watched Starship Troopers and Judge Dredd more than once so I am cinematically very tough (before someone impugns my judgement I would highlight I don’t think those films are good they are the cinematic equivalent to a bush tucker trial).

I went to see Starship Troopers the night it opened in a packed cinema here in Belfast. My friend and I screamed and laughed the whole way through it, seemingly much to the annoyance of everyone else who all sat in stoney silence. On the way out I’ve never heard an audience moan so much about a film.

I don’t know if a lot of people get satire, or if it was just too subtle for them. Or perhaps they couldn’t see through cheezey sheen. Anyway, their loss. It’s an absolutely brilliant film. It’s simultaneously a sci-fi action movie, a meditation on the futility of war, a deconstruction of propaganda films (whilst itself functioning perfectly as one) and a critique of America’s increasing deification of their military.

colp

Flubber – with the late, great, Robin Williams
    Or Grown Ups 2

john_drummer
    Free Member

I thought Lost In Translation was painfully slow. Until I saw the first half hour of Warm Bodies on Film4 tonight. Jeez, the film was slower than the zombies !

colournoise

jimjam – spot on about Starship Troopers.

And, Mamma Mia.

Pigface
    Free Member

I’m very tempted to put Interstellar on my list. 3 hours of dragged out painfully slow rubbish, given I figured out what was going on within about 20 minutes

You are Stephen Hawking and I claim my £5

Drac

jimjam – spot on about Starship Troopers.

/nods.

You are Stephen Hawking and I claim my £5

No it was obvious who was sending the messages, it took a bit longer to work out how and wasn’t exactly right but close enough.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Really not sure why this thread is continuing when several people have already posted: Pearl Harbour.

I mean, really? Even hand-rubbed Nepalese couldn’t make it bearable. It took actual pauses and motivating talks for us to finish that tripe.

willard

Starship Troopers had a lot of good element (I like the way that they had rolling news in a gleefully over-the-top way), but the biggest problem I had with it was that it was just _so_ unlike the spirit of the book.

I like the book, it’s a very good satire that plays it straight and is stronger for it. The film didn’t really do it justice and that annoyed me more than it should have done. It’s not a truly bad film, it’s just not something that I can justify as being eve close to an acceptable adaptation.

Battleship. Hmmm.

I saw that it was on telly the other night. Sadly, I lasted only five minutes at the start before I got angry with it and turned over.

FuzzyWuzzy

Recently for me it was Enemy – even I managed to figure out the basic premise of it in about 10 minutes and after that was just waiting for something unexpected/thrilling to happen and it never did. ‘Clever’ doesn’t have to be so dull.

All time? Not sure but one of them would have to be “A Serious Man”, perhaps I’m just too dumb for it but I didn’t have a clue what it was about most of the time (and it still didn’t get much better after I’d watched it read up about the plot after). It just seemed boring and overly convoluted to me.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Grey

I think I was only mad at it because it stopped just before you get to see Liam Neeson glassing a wolf with miniature Jack Daniels bottles. Which would be pure cinematic gold.

🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

On Interstellar… I liked it, watched it a couple of times now and…

No it was obvious who was sending the messages, it took a bit longer to work out how and wasn’t exactly right but close enough.

This ^ after watching it a second time I thought it a better view of what was going on.

Whilst I know this is a “diss” thread, I think Interstellar is actually really rather brilliant.

As to worst..

Battleship has to be up there only for the reason I sat through 20mins of it before I got so annoyed with the continuous “get me the John Paul Jones!!” shouts..

Whats a bass player out of Led Zepplin got to contribute to this film ?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Can I just throw in “Pain & Gain”?

Scraping through the online £1 DVD bargain bin that is Netflix, I decided to put this on in a fit of boredom. Michael Bay with exploding robots is terrible, take those away from him, and the result is about as bad as it can get. It’s unwatchable.

Drac

Whilst I know this is a “diss” thread, I think Interstellar is actually really rather brilliant.

Each to their own. 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought Pain & Gain was pretty good, certainly laughed a few times…

martinhutch

Battleship has to be up there only for the reason I sat through 20mins of it before I got so annoyed with the continuous “get me the John Paul Jones!!” shouts..

Does anyone actually shout ‘You sank my Battleship!’?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Pain and Gain definitely not the worst. Come on! Wahlberg played his character with earnest and overt enthusiasm of a sort that made things involuntarily shoot from my nose. For that at least, I salute Pain and Gain. Distasteful as it often was (based on true events) it certainly was entertaining and genuinely funny IMO.

BoardinBob

Can I just throw in “Pain & Gain”?

Whaaaaaaaaat???

It’s hilarious. You do know it’s supposed to be tongue in cheek? One of the best under the radar films I’ve watched recently.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Seven.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. It’s the only film I have ever walked out of. I think (IIRC) I got to the scene of “sloth” and almost vomited. Just too gory and too explicit for me to handle.
    I realise now, not back then, that it has a horror/shock element to the film and whilst I think it probably is very well made, for me it made me feel sick.
    Took ages to get over that image of the bloke in the bed.

It also took until Inglorious Basterds to accept watching a film with Brad in it..

BoardinBob

Seven.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. It’s the only film I have ever walked out of. I think (IIRC) I got to the scene of “sloth” and almost vomited. Just too gory and too explicit for me to handle.
    I realise now, not back then, that it has a horror/shock element to the film and whilst I think it probably is very well made, for me it made me feel sick.
    Took ages to get over that image of the bloke in the bed.

My favourite film of all time! Classic Fincher. Visually stunning, superbly acted, brutal storyline. Just superb.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh – just remembered (call it a ‘disturbed flashback’ even) Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Frankenstein’.

‘it’s a travesty!’ Think I actually said it loudly in the cinema as leaving.

It wasn’t art and it thought it was. It was simply a lurid display of shallow egotism. Criminal, considering the source material.

Drac

Se7en is fantastic.

BoardinBob

Se7en is fantastic.

Yes. I think people are confusing “film I didn’t like” with “worst film ever”

jimjam
    Free Member

BoardinBob
    Whaaaaaaaaat???

It’s hilarious. You do know it’s supposed to be tongue in cheek? One of the best under the radar films I’ve watched recently.

I don’t know how you could describe a Micheal Bay film starring the Rock and Mark Wahlberg as under the radar but whatever. It’s a wretched film. A comedy about a real life gang of con men who actually murdered several people – hilarious.

Awful acting. Awful script. Directed with the kind of wit and subtlety of every Bay film. Horrible.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

wretched

That is a very apt way of describing it.

Just dire.

BoardinBob

A comedy about a real life gang of con men who actually murdered several people – hilarious

It was hilarious.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    Se7en is fantastic.

I think you are actually right.

Drac

The two come together though. For me what is the worst film I’ve seen are often ones I dislike. You can have as much arty party lighting, big actors and directors you want it can still be crap.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

Hold the phone. All bets are off. Kiss the wife goodnight, the party’s over. This actually is the worst film ever:

It’s just come up on Netflix, and it is a whole new level of badness that has to be seen to be believed (if seeing it wasn’t a hate crime against yourself)

mikey74
    Free Member

what film?

The two come together though. For me what is the worst film I’ve seen are often ones I dislike. You can have as much arty party lighting, big actors and directors you want it can still be crap.

Sure they come together, but not as often as people think they do. You not liking a film doesn’t make it the worst film ever made: It has to fulfil a whole load of other criteria before it achieves that benchmark.

shermer75
    Free Member

Weird, that link seemed to work at first. Anyway:

northernmatt

9 pages and nobody mentioned Cloverfield

will
    Free Member

Buried: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462758/

It’s just a chap in a box for the entire film, nothing else at all. People walked out the Cinema.

jimjam
    Free Member

will

It’s just a chap in a box for the entire film, nothing else at all. People walked out the Cinema.

I walked out of The Hurt Locker. Titanic. Transformers, and the second one (slow learner). Plenty of others too, but not nearly enough.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Green Street is the worst film ever. so bad i cant even bring myself to watch Sons of Anarchy coz he’s in it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Left Behind got a mighty 2% on Rotten Tomatoes. That’s for to be hard to beat, hasn’t it? 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

shermer75

Left Behind got a mighty 2% on Rotten Tomatoes. That’s for to be hard to beat, hasn’t it?

Not having a go at you shermer, but does anyone actually give a damn about rotten tomatoes? It just strikes me as a kind of lowest common denominator score.

jerrys
    Free Member

My vote, like many others is Highlander 2.

I really liked the first Highlander, possibly because I was looking down on the battle scene between the clans when climbing in Glencoe.

Say what you like about TopGun, but it’s brilliant when dubbed into Japanese ! 🙂

ononeorange

And we haven’t even got going on musicals yet….!

My vote is for Top Gun – the only film I walked out if. Formulaic, look-at-me utter carp.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 375 total)

The topic ‘worst film ever …….’ is closed to new replies.