• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Worried your spaceship may not fit under the barrier at the local car park?
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member
    Northwind

No GSV? Denied 🙁

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Figured that the Dyson sphere would be at the end of the video less than 10 seconds in..  #scifigeek

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ringworld beats it in my book. Far more practical…

sirromj

Ha! Watched that this morning before lunch, with my 3.5yr old boy sat on my lap. Watched the Space Shuttle launch after lunch, followed by portions of a tour around the ISS. Brilliant!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Ringworld beats it in my book. Far more practical…

Not entirely sure practicality is a valid argument when you are talking about a construction that encircles a star at approximately earths orbital distance.!!! 😀 😀 😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Constant gravity over the whole surface, mountains at the rim wall and you can see the stars.
    Works for me.

HarryTuttle

Surely a culture orbital is the ‘practical’ habitat, no messing with artificial gravity huge masses or sun shades for day/night.

vinnyeh

Had trouble watching that (boredom) -was Ringworld the only artifact strictly from a book? (Not counting the Dyson sphere.)

No Alderson disk, or General Products hulls, either.

slowoldman

What about Vogon Constructor ships?

40mpg

Mine does 😎

a

squirrelking
    Free Member

Was also disappointed there were no Culture artifacts but it didn’t really seem literary based anyway. Only an Anaconda from Elite as well, would have liked to a see a Cobra and T9 as well for scale.

rOcKeTdOg

Ringworld the only artifact strictly from a book?

All the expanse ships were there

CountZero

Not entirely sure practicality is a valid argument when you are talking about a construction that encircles a star at approximately earths orbital distance.!!! 😀 😀 😀

Well, a Dyson Sphere is a construct that completely encloses its own star, requiring the conversion of the entire solar system into shell material, and possibly several nearby systems as well, so a ringworld is possibly a bit more practical.
    Plus you could still see stars…
    Not sure if the Puppeteer home system would count, a planetary system orbiting its star which is propelling the system through space like one huge starship.
    Actually, a Culture Orbital is a ringworld that can be induced to become a starship as well.

Northwind

No GSVs probably because they’re famously boring to look at, in their “default” mode just a big slightly shiny bar of soap.

HarryTuttle

Surely a culture orbital is the ‘practical’ habitat, no messing with artificial gravity huge masses or sun shades for day/night.

I can’t remember exactly but I’m sure there’s something in one of the novels that says it’s the default option and that most people in the mainland live on orgibtals

Daffy

Mine does 😎

That’s quite possibly the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Worried your spaceship may not fit under the barrier at the local car park?’ is closed to new replies.