Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worn stantions on Fox 32s
  • breninbeener

I have just been given a set of 32 Fox Straight steerer forks. They are 120 travel and just what i wanted for my HT. They were leaking a little on the left leg. Having examined them, there is a small section almost hidden by the fork brace where the stantion anodising has worn off and the stantion itself is worn. It can be felt quite readily.

So, how can i make these items good? Is it actually possible? Can i put new stantions into the crown? The forks are about 5yrs old and i dont think they have been serviced.

Any ideas gratefully recieved!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Change seals, do lower service and ride till they die.

breninbeener

Im ok with top seals and oil. Whats a lower service?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where you clean and change the oil in the lowers, oil change.

soobalias
    Free Member

how can i make these items good?

you cant.

new seals and accept that the lowers will lose their oil and allow more dirt ingress, so require regular attention

breninbeener

Ok…i can do that service then. So in essence they are usable with more maintenance and the caveat that they are on borrowed time?

gummikuh

Hi,
    I did see somewhere someone who claims they can replace the stanchions.

No idea of cost or success.
    I guess you want to keep the forks as they are straight steerer, and on an older bike?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-FORK-STANCHION-EXCHANGE-FOX-CSU-FOX-FORK-SERVICE-mtb-suspension-/262184890148?hash=item3d0b6fef24:g:x8EAAOSwI-BWJi54

amedias
    Free Member

So in essence they are usable with more maintenance and the caveat that they are on borrowed time?

correct, once the coating is worn through the damage is already done.

Depending how bad the scoring/wear is will dictate how quickly they chew up seals or drag dirt in, and if they are really bad there maybe extra play in the bushings or ‘notchiness’ to the travel.

But if it’s just light wear then sometimes it can be hard to even feel it in use so just crack on with using them, keep an eye on them and plan to replace when you can (or want to).

*there are companies that will replace the stanchions, and seem to be getting good reviews, but still some questions about the method they use to get the old ones out and fit the new ones as essentially they are an interference fit at the factory so not sure if I’d eve trust a fork crown that had had the legs pushed in and out without knowing more about the process.

soobalias
    Free Member

yep.

breninbeener

Yes, they are 26″ straight steerer for a new old stock steel HT. I will speak to the vendor on ebay and decide if i like the process or if i would prefer to use them worn.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Worn stantions on Fox 32s’ is closed to new replies.