Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Worn road bike rims
  • titusrider
    Free Member

So I’ve been running velocity A23’s for 2 years all year round and the rear now has a definite concave shape to the braking surface.

I’m feeling too tight to replace them just coz they are a bit worn but would like to avoid a high speed blowout when I go to France at the end of May

What to we think?

time to buy some callipers to measure the wall thickness? regular inspections? suck it up and change them before they go?

tonyg2003

Normally worn rims blow when you are pumping them up. If you are worried (put some earplugs in) and try pumping them up to 120psi.

However myself I wouldn’t take the risk of them going when riding and I’d change the rims over.

dawson

I’d change them – I split a rim on my v-braked MTB a few weeks back – due to excessive wear – there was wear-indicator groove, which had worn down, and seemed to create a weak line, which was where the split formed

wwaswas

*wonders which of the three previous posters put the tag on*

change them.if you do like for like and don’t have alloy nipples it’ll only cost you the rim price.

titusrider
    Free Member

I put the tag on because its my favourite phase from STW and im able to laugh at myself 🙂

wwaswas- like the idea but im not 100% happy with the wheels and wouldn’t really just want the same again

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They’re your teeth mate, you can scatter them wherever you like.

hofnar
    Free Member

I have blown a rim on an uphill just before cresting the summit I wouldn’t wan’t to have seen the damage to myself if it happened a mile down the road. I have blown a front tire from overheating by braking on a steep downhill. Tire and shredded tube came off some good relexes made me stop with without personal hurt again i wouldn’t want to see my face if I reacted slower/had a bit less luck.

Dental work on one tooth is more expensive then a decent new wheel.

bob_summers

If you’ve never built a wheel before, a worn rim is a good way to start. Just tape the new one to the old and copy the spoking, it’s not like building from scratch but you learn the basics.

FuzzyWuzzy

I do have callipers to check mine but if it was obviously concave I’d replace anyway due to the consequences of a high-speed rim failure.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve never split a road rim when riding the bike, always when pumping up the tyre. If the breaking surface is concave I’d replace it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends how concave? What is the wear inficator saying?

titusrider
    Free Member

no wear indicator on a23’s otherwise it would be an obvious decision

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm…illegal to sell them in the EU then?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hmmm…illegal to sell them in the EU then?

Is it, pretty sure most road rims I’ve had don’t have wear indicators. Mavic, Shimano, planet x

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

The wear indicator can be as subtle as a small hole drilled into the rim. As soon as it is no longer visible then the rim is worn. It isn’t always a groove running around the rim.

TiRed

Mavic’s better rims show when worn, not vice versa.

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/products/2_119.pdf

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems its German not EU legislation.

ransos
    Free Member

I was once awoken at 3am by a very loud bang downstairs. I leaped out of bed to confront the burglar, only to find the rear rim of my bike had given way. A lengthy section of the braking surface had ripped off completely… I’m just glad I wasn’t riding it at the time.

So yeah, change them.

brakes
    Free Member

anyone know what the wear indicator on Mavic Ksyriums is like?
    Mavic website says it will have an internal or external one…

TiRed

Should be the appearance of a hole. Mavic external indicators are tracks in the rim.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks!

damascus
    Free Member

Time to upgrade to disks? 😈

JCL
    Free Member

Indeed. Who wants discs on road bikes???

tonyg2003

Al spoke Kysriums have a sort of a notch in the rim opposite the valve hole with a sticker telling you its a wear indicator.

titusrider
    Free Member

I would love discs, ive got at least 3 years till my 30th and the Alchemy that I hope to acquire to rid myself of such issues 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

its all your fault, just ordered these with dt240’s:

http://www.wheelsfar.com/2014-new-38mm-clincher-wheels1250g-30g23mm-wide-p-220.html

phiiiiil

It’ll be fiiiiiiine. I could see through the braking surface on the rear rim of my commuter for a while until I got round to changing it… 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

I usually get a years commuting out of a rear open Pro.Will replace the current on tomorrow after 7 months 😕
    Could be worse,worn Zipp 303 rim….£680 😯 (customers bike a little while ago).

TheSanityAssassin

My rear Open Pro gave in mid-ride a fortnight ago. A good third of the rim was detached and flapping freely.It didn’t half go with an almighty bang. Mind you, I was doing 30mph on the Keighley to Skipton dual carriageway at the time. Luckily for everyone concerned I was on the back of the group at that point and I brought the bike safely to a halt without further mishap. I got both rims replaced as the front wouldn’t have lasted much longer either.

timba
    Free Member

Try an Iwanson caliper for a fiver. It’s a dental tool measuring down to 0.1mm
    The problem comes with finding the manufacturer’s spec. I can’t find either a wear indicator or a rim spec for my Mavics

zoo200
    Free Member

Ive seen too many injuries from worn rims, you don’t want to be responsible for causing an accident do you?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Worn road bike rims’ is closed to new replies.