Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • woodworm treatment ….
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

so bought a house

one of the things on the home buyers report was – evidence of woodboring insect infestation.

I looked in all the woodwork , attic , floor boards internal joinery – cant find any evidence BUT just to preempt the mortgage folk coming back and saying get it treated with certificate.

does anyone have any recomendations – either nationwide companies or local to aberdeenshire.

the cynic in me says ill have damp ,dry rot, rising damp and woodworm if i just get someone in from the yellowpages randomly…..

geoffj

cant find any evidence

Speak to the surveyor – it may be a catch all phrase they stick in to cover themselves. If its not, they should be able to point you in the direction of where it is – which may equal a can of DIY stuff from B&Q or a full rebuild.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most of those are easy to spot yourself. If you really can’t see anything then you could call the surveyor that did the report?

Do lenders require certificates? I’d not heard of that one before.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh I’ve got some spare woodworm treatment (powder) if you want it.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I’m a Building Surveyor in Leeds and regularly use a company called Timberwise. I recently arranged for the roof void in a large four bed farm house (worth c £800k) treated for woodworm for a cost of £1,164 plus VAT including 20 year guarantee.

Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers

richc
    Free Member

Mortgage company will want a certificate, so DIY more than likely won’t be an option.

I have been forced to use Peter Cox who seem OK.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it if the mortgage company isn’t if you are heating the house and put some fly catching strips in the roof you should be OK.

Surveyors seem to be very very flaky and get obsessed about one little thing that they know about (usually damp or wood worm) and completely miss the important big stuff like chimneys and roof’s.

trail_rat
    Free Member

can i just ring the surveyor up ? – hes not working on my behalf – this is the homebuyers report done for the vendor im working from.

ive already had an experianced builder* in to look at the property in the form of my dad and he says there is nothing to be concerned about in the property – electrics need updating over time and the guttering needs redone. How ever none of his contacts are willing to travel in this area as they are busy as hell locally.

*extensions , renovations , and refurb as opposed to new builds

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Timberwise web site here Link

Their Aberdeen details are as follows;

Wise Property Care Aberdeen
    613 George Street
    Aberdeen
    AB25 3YH

Tel: 01224 636 565
    north@wisepropertycare.com

trail_rat
    Free Member

im not DIYING , im not feeling lucky with those chemicals ! – i want a certificate for piece of mind for buyers when i sell … i know diy will bite me in the arse then- the cynic in me also reckons that the certificate might as well be printed by me for all its worth – good luck prooving that the new woodworm isnt just the old woodworm in the holes coming out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheers ncfenwick will be sure to try them – thats the sorta price id budgeted for when i bid on the house

over on piston heads a guy got the solicitors to send in a company for a free estimate in and he needed DPC injections , woodworm treatment and replastering and skirtings in his house apparently at a cost of 7.5k … independant that he paid for came in and said the holes round the house at DPC level meant it already had the injections…. – all he needed was the woodworm treatment. cowboys

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Also ask the vendor if they have had treatment done in the past as there might already be a guarantee in place.

Also if you need a a second quote try Rentokill.

trail_rat
    Free Member

there is no current guarantee/treatment in place – vendors had the place for 30years.

all the timber that i could check without destroying the place was bone dry – i thought woodboring bugs liked slightly moist /light surfaces.

cheers for the help ncfenwick

ransos
    Free Member

one of the things on the home buyers report was – evidence of woodboring insect infestation.

All it means is the surveyor has seen some pinprick type holes in some wood somewhere in the house, which is evidence of wood-boring insects being present at some time since the house was constructed. If you have a current infestation, I’d expect to see sawdust type waste near the holes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye ransos – thats what i went in looking for – the sawdust i mean – couldnt find anything – for all me and the surveyor know at the moment is vendor may used that piece of wood to hold up his annual Xmas decorations for the last 30 years ……

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘woodworm treatment ….’ is closed to new replies.