• This topic has 228 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by jca.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 229 total)
  • Wonky pub fire
  • dissonance

Arson! It’s a crime!

I am not sure it is since thats causing criminal damage via fire.
    So if you arent claiming on insurance and its not a protected building then the criminal damage bit seems to be missing.
    Probably breach H&S and environmental laws though.

oldtennisshoes

Would be interesting to understand if the utilities were turned off / capped before it was started.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Ah yes your own property is different. However it’s still reckless endangerment with the fire brigade involved (unless they had been warned before and the safety of neighbouring buildings ensured, which doesn’t seem to be the case).

oldtennisshoes

However it’s still reckless endangerment with the fire brigade involved

Maybe blocking the drive was their attempt at reducing that 🤷‍♂️

5lab

its a breach of planning laws to remove a building without permission, no?

thols2

What laws have been broken?

There are laws on fires.

Big problem in cases like this is proving that it was deliberately burned by the owner. Let’s face it, all you need to do is buy some cans of paint and paint thinner, and coil up some electrical leads and old power tools, and it will be impossible to prove much – it could well have been some kids up to mischief.

The owner will file an insurance claim if they are smart, to make it look like they are genuine. If the insurance company can prove that it was deliberate, that would be fraud, but what will happen is the claim will be denied, the owner will write some angry letters and then drop it.

Very unlikely to get more than a minor fine.

Rich_s

there was a recent bulletin telling people to be aware of this very thing too.

Lots more of this will be happening soon. Golf clubs at 2-3am will be a favourite as inflation bites.

Arson is deliberate fire raising with nefarious purposes. So you can damage stuff by fire (Fred Dibnah?) but it’s the purpose behind it that’s key. Like insurance fraud or damaging the property of another.

Houns

I wonder if the neighbours (other side of railway walk) bought it with a view to expand. Be interesting to see where those excavator tracks lead to.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Be interesting to see where those excavator tracks lead to.

The tracks just go round and round the little wheels in the middle, that’s how they work.

oldtennisshoes

its a breach of planning laws to remove a building without permission, no?

It would appear so, not least because it was a pub
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/demolition/planning-permission

Haze

Around the corner from me too, real shame they never made the most of it but as others have said it’s a victim of its location.

That and the brewery who previously owned it seemingly have no clue.

I always thought they could do much better with the area as a whole with significant investment, link it up with Himley/Baggeridge and the old railway lines.

dissonance

Lots more of this will be happening soon.

I can think of several cases round here in the last few years where the fire has been, shall we say, convenient?
    Its quicker than the alternate of a bit of roof damage to let water in and then let it decay sufficiently it can be claimed its no longer viable and best to knock it down.

doris5000

Really depressing – blatant corruption, and you know they’ll not only get away with it, but will even profit handily. See also, sewage in rivers, ripping off the NHS with dodgy PPE, etc.

This one was about 200m from my house – developer applied to demolish and build 74 flats. Then Historic England decided it should assess whether it was worth preserving. Timings couldn’t be more suspicious –

19 May 2023 – “Bristol City Council has today issued a Building Preservation Notice, enabling Historic England the time to fully assess it.”

4 June 2023 – “Homes in Bristol have been evacuated after a huge fire broke out at a disused building. “

thols2

This kind of thing is so depressing – blatant corruption, and you just know that not only will people get away with it, but they’ll actually profit handily. See also, sewage in rivers, ripping off the NHS with dodgy PPE, etc etc.

The thing with historic buildings is that you are demanding that a private property owner subsidize a public good – they can’t use their land the way they want to because other people want it to remain unchanged. Some old buildings are truly historic so they should be preserved and paid for with public money. However, most old buildings are just old buildings and are better off being demolished and replaced with more useful modern buildings. When you have a situation like that and the owners know that there is very little chance of being punished beyond a relatively modest fine, it’s completely to be expected that there will be a lot of suspiciously timed fires. The simplest way to stop this happening would be to use public money to lease the building at the value that it would generate if it was developed. This way, the public good would not be subsidized by private owners and the private owners would have an incentive to preserve the buildings, not a disincentive.

Tipping sewage in rivers, ripping off the NHS, etc. are completely the opposite. That’s a private individual being subsidized by public money, not a public good being subsidized by a private owner.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Saw the news about it being sold, then burning down and the fact its now been demolished before an investigation can take place and the roads to it blocked seems ever so slightly suspicious!

We stayed on holiday in Northumberland once near an old mill building that had been sold and then planning permission to turn it into flats turned down. That weirdly caught fire too…

Dickyboy

The thing with historic buildings is that you are demanding that a private property owner subsidize a public good

Bit difficult to argue that when you’ve only just bought the place.

doris5000

The thing with historic buildings is that you are demanding that a private property owner subsidize a public good – they can’t use their land the way they want to because other people want it to remain unchanged.

That’s fair, though it’s not always true to characterize it as having minimal impact on the public purse. The wonky pub, maybe.

The one I linked, closed off an A road (a key artery for the city, causing detours for emergency vehicles) for 24 hours, causing commuter gridlock the next day, and caused several streets of houses and a block of flats to be evacuated. Not to mention the various fire/police responses. It’s in a densely built up area, and 60 metres from a pesticide factory! It could have been an awful lot worse, and then public costs would have been much more substantial.

And what often seems to happen anyway (round here at least) is they get planning permission but have to keep the facade or other key element. So it adds n% to their costs but doesn’t actually prevent the development altogether.

MoreCashThanDash

The thing with historic buildings is that you are demanding that a private property owner subsidize a public good

This is a real issue thats needs resolving. There’s a balance between keeping a building of historic importance in a fit and usable state and pricing any owner out of being able to afford to do anything with it. If “the state” puts excessive restrictions on such properties, it seems fair that “the state” helps pay for it’s upkeep.

One of the big Derbyshire estate villages is covered by a strict conservation area ruling. To be fair to the evil bastard landowner, he replaced any windows that were not visible from the road with UPVC, in breach of the rules, to try and help his tenants as much as he could.

the-muffin-man

@MoreCashThanDash

One of the big Derbyshire estate villages is covered by a strict conservation area ruling.

And in two other cases in Derbyshire – Belper East Mill and Wingfield Manor. Both are ‘protected’ by conservation areas around these two historic buildings.

The buildings the conservation areas are protecting – sod them – let them rot, fall into decay and collapse. 🤷‍♂️

MoreCashThanDash

@the-muffin-man
    East Mill was the one I was particularly thinking of. It should be an amazing building with scope for accomodation and/or small businesses, but absolutely buggered by restrictions. It will just deteriorate till it collapses at this rate. Just be pragmatic rather than idealistic.

Same with houses in conservation areas.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Thing I don’t understand is why did they set it on fire?

Why not just knock it down with the digger?

Looks like post-fire the walls were still standing and it could have been refurbished, so the fire didn’t finish it off.

To then come in with a digger and flatten it… Well why not just do that in the first place and not get the fire brigade involved.

Unless the fire didn’t do as much damage as hoped.

thols2

Thing I don’t understand is why did they set it on fire?

Why not just knock it down with the digger?

Can you prove they set it on fire? It gives them plausible deniability, they will claim that it must have been an accident or delinquent youths, or something. Nobody will believe them, but possession is 9/10ths of the law and now they are free from one impediment to developing the land.

finephilly
    Free Member

It’s a pretty poor location for housing. My bet is the landfill site nextdoor wants to expand. There is a lot of money in waste and huge criminality in the UK now.

revs1972
    Free Member

Standard practice down here, let them fall into disrepair, then burn em to the ground.
    New builds rise like Phoenix from the flames , with planning consent given in a fairly short time.
    I did read that someone demolished a pub , and was made to rebuild it exactly how it was.
    Quite how you would do that in the case of the wonky pub I don’t know, but judging by the state of some of the new buiolds i have seen they could probably get a gang of shoddy builders together to do it.

Oh here it is

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/10/developers-who-destroyed-historic-lancashire-pub-punch-bowl-inn-hurst-green-ordered-to-rebuild-it

swamp_boy

IIRC it was wonky because it had partly subsided into an old mine.  Not much incentive to buy a house on the site

alanl
    Free Member

I’m also shocked that it wasn’t turning enough of a profit for the brewery to keep it.

The Owners from a few years ago started off really well, they have a pub near the Severn near Kiddrminster which has a good food reputation , they started doing the same with the Crooked House, it was really busy, especially on a Sunday, then Covid came, and they seemed to lose the plot. We went 2 years ago once pubs could reopen, we asked if we could have sunday dinner , no was the answer, ‘why not, the pub is empty’, we’ve got a party of 10 booked in an hour, we cant cope with too many people.

We thought they were joking, but no, they were serious. If the Owner was there, he would have gone mad at them. We did go back a few weeks later, after booking. We were the only people there, and they were saying how quiet it was, not remembering how they had turned us (and others, no doubt) away a few weeks previous. Friends said the same, turned away as the kitchen couldnt cope, when only a few people were in the pub. The last time we went, the queue was out the door for drinks, we didnt bother waiting, soemone told us it was a young woman on her own behind the bar, and she hadnt got a clue what to do, so every order was taking an age.

So, basically very poor management, the place could have been a great attraction,and made money. Just remembered, I think the access road was closed for a few weeks once, so they had to shut down, so maybe that was the final straw for those Owners.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Was always busy when I lived in the Black Country.   There is a piece in the Guardian claiming that the new purchasers are a company with the same address as the nearby landfill company and that goons are turning away folk trying to use the public footpath on the access road.

fatmountain
    Free Member

It’s the Black County’s 9/11.

Houns

Anyone know of any issues using the railway path? I know it’s sketchy around that part of the path at best of times

RustySpanner

Tommy Ducks all over again, innit?

I miss that place……

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yeah, nice bulding suddenly demolished, this is a good read, I drove in one morning it was there, I drove home late one evening and it was gone.

https://www.modernism-in-metroland.co.uk/blog/the-life-and-death-of-the-firestone-factory

Friends of mine run this place now but the owner had a bit of a mad mood that cost him:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/jan/03/martinwainwright

and this:

During a party in the early hours of New Year’s Day 2003 Robert Tyrrell, the then landlord of the North Star pub in Steventon, bulldozed part of his own pub after his barman refused to serve him. Tyrrell was sentenced to 200 hours of community service and fined more than £3,000.[13] The pub was repaired and re-opened by December 2003. The 17th-century timber-framed building is Grade II listed,[14] and its restoration cost Tyrrell more than £100,000. In 2007 the work won a Vale of White Horse Design Scheme Award for Andrew Townsend, a local architect from Faringdon who designed the pub’s restoration.[15]

sc-xc

Anyone know of any issues using the railway path? I know it’s sketchy around that part of the path at best of times

It was fine the other day, we t all the way to near the cream no problem

poly
    Free Member

However it’s still reckless endangerment with the fire brigade involved

i think reckless endangerment is a Scottish crime, I don’t think there is a direct equivalent in England.

Maybe blocking the drive was their attempt at reducing that

i saw the pics of the blocked driveway – to be honest that looks like fairly standard practice up here with vacant sites to keep travellers etc out.  If you were going to use it to stop the fire brigade it seems a bit suspicious to do it days before the fire – when it would make almost no difference to the entire redevelopment time line to wait a few months.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

What laws have been broken?

s33, Health and Safety at Work Act 1974…?
    That’s assuming hypothetically the burning was done or authorised by the owner/occupant of the hypothetical building. You can’t just set fire to a building in the middle of the night and wander off, even if you owned it and were allowed to knock it down.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/contents

The thing with historic buildings is that you are demanding that a private property owner subsidize a public good – they can’t use their land the way they want to because other people want it to remain unchanged.

Not really. It might well be worth less than its most profitable use in an unregulated market, but that’s true of all property. If I could put a petrol station, nuclear reactor and 24 hour disco in my house, it would be worth much more. But I can’t, because of pesky rules.

If you want to be able to afford the conservation costs, don’t overpay for the property in the first place.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Can you prove they set it on fire? It gives them plausible deniability, they will claim that it must have been an accident or delinquent youths, or something. Nobody will believe them, but possession is 9/10ths of the law and now they are free from one impediment to developing the land.

No but it’s going to be easier to find a digger and driver than to find out who set a fire.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

good thread here

bikesandboots

Be interesting to see where those excavator tracks lead to.

There is signwriting on the back and the boom seen in this video, might be able to identify from that even if there’s no higher resolution photo/video available. Maybe the person speaking to the driver took some photos.

If there is a law against this, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was worded like “causing thing to happen” thus IIRC any and all of the customer, digger company, and driver can be prosecuted.

bikesandboots

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/aug/08/you-will-be-missed-locals-seek-answers-about-destruction-of-crooked-house-pub

The Guardian has learned that the new buyer was a property firm called ATE Farms Ltd, owned by Carly Taylor, 34, a director of multiple companies.

ATE Farms is registered to the same address as Himley Environmental Ltd, which runs the 15-hectare (37-acre) quarry and landfill site next to the pub.

That’ll be where the digger is from then.

thols2

Nope, nothing suspicious, all totally normal.

mattyfez

Totally no shenaigans going on there, no sir’e.

You’d think if someone were going to do an ‘insurance job’, they’d be a little more subtle about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.