• This topic has 98 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nilanjex-spam.
Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Women's world cup .
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

make that three for three goals

theotherjonv

She’s made an avoidable error in every game, and when you’re a goalkeeper you get measured by your errors.

Hopefully that’s it done for today then. Does make me wonder what the other two are like for Bardsley to be an automatic first choice.

Refereeing is poor too. Another controversial point. Should the top level of the women’s game not have the best officials? Which on the basis of what I’ve seen, would be the men. We don’t accept any errors in refereeing in the men’s game, why should women have to make do with substandard officiating just for ‘equality’?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Huh, what was that about? Any idea what was happened with her eye?

I guess we’ll get a chance to see what the 2nd choice keeper is like now…

theotherjonv

Canadian keeper looks like she’d be a joy to live with!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Disappointed that Canada couldn’t pull another back at the end there, but my goodness, shocking finishing. If they had put half of those chances or half chances away they’d of bossed it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-Rg_qk6aw[/video]

rickmeister

^^^^^^^ Don’t do energy drinks before bedtime kids…

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, that David Coulthard square jaw girl dived in the penalty box. 😯

Ya, It is a dive. No if or but. A dive!

The TV commentators, especially the blonde one with one side heavy hair cut, said it was a heel clip but looking at the slow motion I could not see it. The way the player fell in the penalty box was nothing like heel clip. 🙄

Naughty, naughty David Coulthard square jaw girl. 😮

chewkw
    Free Member

Nippon! Nippon! Oi! Oi! Oi! 😆

theotherjonv

Hmmm….

Just got up early to watch it on recorded.

Technically we seemed to be far worse than Japan; that said i don’t know how much was tactics to play the ball forward quickly at every opportunity and give the forwards balls to chase for knock downs, etc. And I’m not going to criticise tactics as he has come up with game plans at every turn that have delivered the results. I’d also reflect that in spite of technical superiority, Japan created virtually nothing all game; the penalty aside I don’t remember a shot on target? Whereas we had far more threat. It even meant we didn’t get our customary goalkeeping howler!!

So overall – we shouldn’t have gone out at this stage on that performance, but it’s a cruel game.

Once again; officiating was poor. I think the first was a penalty, as soon as it was given I knew she’d be looking to give us one too, and heel clip or not that was an outrageous dive. Incredible / fantastic to see barely a word of protest from the Japanese ladies. In the men’s game the referee would be in hospital now having John Terry surgically removed from his earhole.

Which brings me on to my final whinge….. of all the games I saw this tournament, in general there was very little in the way of gamesmanship (‘cheating’) but most of what i saw was by the English. Stealing yards at throw ins; timewasting, as two most notable examples. Like today when Bronze was down injured but off the pitch; Karen Bardsley going down with cramp?!? After 75 minutes, when you’ve had bugger all to do? Clearly buying time to get Bronze back on or a sub made, I’m afraid, and I wouldn’t have it.

The women’s game is different to the men’s; some parts better, some parts worse. Please don’t bring the bad bits over!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

i have been pleasantly surprised by the WWC which has been played in good spirits. Not much of the rolling around, biting and ooh my head ( rivaldo). I think where Japan lack in the physical attributes they make up in the technical aspects. Their movement seems better. What is noticeable is that the majority of the teams actually look good as teams and not like they were cobbled together at the last minute.

Its a shame about the og and reminded me of the P Nevllie penalty against Romania in the group stages.
    For some strange reason I think I prefer watching the Lionesses that the current England squad

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not a huge football fan here TBH. Ok I’ll watch the World Cup and the occasional game with Bayern Munich in but thats really about it.

However I’ve caught the odd one or two games of WWC, and have been very impressed at both gameplay and professionalism. As far as entertainment goes they’ve got it right, a good mix of athleticism and determination in all teams I’ve watched.
    As far as England go I think they’ve done exceptionally well. I’ve no reference points other than been impressed with the teamplay and cohesive nature and professionalism in their games. Shame they lost, that’s football though.

Hoping it transfers to the mens game just how good they’ve all been.

dragon
    Free Member

Japan created virtually nothing all game;

Did the same against Australia, just dominated possession doing little with it, but eventually getting the winner.

On the goals the English one was a joke, what a dive. As for people saying they were unlucky, sorry that’s cr*p you have to take your chances when they come and not make stupid defensive mistakes like that at the end.

Final comment – AstroTurf for proper matches is rubbish, and FIFA should be shot for allowing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

of all the games I saw this tournament, in general there was very little in the way of gamesmanship (‘cheating’) but most of what i saw was by the English.

Colombians were pretty bad, I thought.

I watched the first half last night and thought it was quite an exciting game. The own goal was pretty unlucky, but luck is part of football.

I love watching the footwork and some lovely crosses and shots. Also nice to see deft tackling rather than barging players out of the way. However the defending was ropey along with a some of the attacking build-up play.

BUT

As a spectator sport it was great. Who cares about the standard when you get tense exciting games well won and well lost? Ok they weren’t all good games, but that’s the case in any tournament. I’ve certainly been entertained; before the tournament started I wasn’t sure I would be.

Also – anyone else notice that early on in the tournament it was ‘Women’s football’ this and ‘England women’ that, but last night it was simply ‘England’ and ‘football’? Good to see 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

The own goal was pretty unlucky

But it wasn’t really, she was out of position having failed to track her runner and as a result had to make a last ditch attempt. Not helped by the English attack and midfield losing the ball at a time when you really should be trying to hold onto it. Says everything about GB football that people think it was unlucky. It was a result of cr*p play from front to back.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not disagreeing with you that it was poor defending, but the deflection could’ve gone anywhere; it ended up going right into the top corner.

That’s bad luck on top of bad defending.

PS don’t add criticism of the entire country to your comments on the game – it makes you sound like a ****!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sadly the own goal was the pick of the bunch, neither of the penalties should have been awarded and certainly not ours. Given the dive I’d say justice was done in he end.

Congrats to all involved, its been a great run and a credit to the sport. A superb advert for the game.

mefty
    Free Member

As my only child is a girl, I am very keen to see women’s sport get more exposure. I thought I should watch it but, much to my shame, I only lasted 30 mins, I just couldn’t cope with the gulf in quality and I am not big football follower.

chewkw
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    Please don’t bring the bad bits over!

Not when they start to copy the lads culture as in that annoying Youtube clip above. It’s a sign that things are heading that way.

I like to watch WWC but not sure about club level. Generally the women are more composed but if they start to behave like lads than I would give up on them, as I can watch normal overpriced and overpaid footballer doing that …

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Women's world cup .’ is closed to new replies.