Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wireless router recommendations?
  • gamo
    Free Member

Looking for a new router for the house, so whats good and reasonably
    priced for basic wireless internet connection?
    Replacing a six year old Belkin G which is now decidedly shonky!
    Cheers G.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m happy with my Linksys WAG160N.

Shakey
    Free Member

Netgear DGN1000 would be my recommendation!

I also have a Linksys/Cisco WAG160N, which has a 300Mbs speed, was incredibly easy to set up and has a handy network map and connection repair feature.

I have 10 pieces of equipment that run via the router in some description or another. It does drop out occassionally, but I’m usually re-connected in seconds, rather than the 5+ minutes it used to take my old Thomson router supplied by Tiscali.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Linksys, Belkin or Netgear are all good. Was your G rouer ok, or do you need to extend your range?
    If you dont just go for a G router, although you can get Netgear DGN1000 from about £35 if you look around.

gamo
    Free Member

Range on the G was fine covered the house garden etc. It just drops constantly and takes an age to reconnect(if at all!).
    I have an Amazon voucher kicking about so will check out any recommedations there.

gamo
    Free Member

Quick check says the Linskys not compatable with talk talk?

Strange that gamo, as I’m sat here using Talk Talk (was previously Tiscali, but they got bought out/changed name, whatever). Unless it’s something to do with still being on the original Tiscali server and there’s a different one for original Talk Talk users????

ericemel
    Free Member

I would keep away from Belkin personally, I have had nothing but trouble.

Linksys/Cisco is always my first choice.

rkk01
    Free Member

Beware Netgear N routers (check models carefully)

We had a DGN2000 and the ethernet ports packed up. Apparently this is a common fault, linked to the design being prone to overheating

Currently trying a Billion, but too early to tell. Easy set up and good signal strength, just hope it lasts longer than the Netgear.

Cougar

Linksys, Netgear… to be honest, most home Internet routers are much of a muchness these days, so long as you stick to a known brand and avoid the bottom-feeders you shouldn’t go far wrong.

anjs
    Free Member

draytek 2820 but might be a bit over the top for your requirements

thejesmonddingo

I’ve got a Billion 7300n,which replaced a Belkin that dropped out and needed rebooting,or resetting at least once a day,the Billion runs a lot cooler and after 3 months has been much more reliable,with better signal strength.
    Ian

bigyinn
    Free Member

anjs – Member

draytek 2820 but might be a bit over the top for your requirements
    For most small offices they are OTT.

Hmm i’ve heard a few of reports of DGN2000’s dying.

Milkie
    Free Member

If your wireless was working fine and has now gone shoddy, a neighbour may be running on the same channel as your WiFi.
    Download Netstumbler and run it on your laptop to see what channels neighbours are running and change channel accordingly.

spacemonkey

Had an unbreakable Dlink (506T I think) for about 4 years until last summer. Replaced it with a Netgear DG834G and it’s been a POS the last few weeks; connection (wireless and wired) drops virtually every day and has to be rebooted multiple times.

Not impressed – which is contrary to 95% of reviews you’ll find.

<goes off in search of guarantee>

tiggs121
    Free Member

I got one of these from Amazon – £25 and working flawlessly so far.

Shakey
    Free Member

I found that if the DGN1000/2000’s have a problem with the ethernet ports they can be set to fixed Ip’s. Could be a design floor but Netgear’s customer service is great so will always go with them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wireless router recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.