Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless router help
  • Garry_Lager

Can any IT guru help me out here – belkin wireless router on virgin works no problem for a year. Last night it stops working. Connecting the cable modem directly to a pc with a wire works fine for internet access. Conencting via the wireless router, though, won't give internet access. I can logon to my network, and access the router, but there is no internet access through the router.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong here? Seems unlikely that the router would just sh_t the bed like that. Could it be down to some problem at the virgin end of the service? Cheers.

zaskar
    Free Member

Can you access wifi on another device like a mobile and surf?

Can your laptop access wifi at work or in a library-sorry but it's a case of elimination.

Also switch the router off for a while, restart or even a reset.

sl2000

Have you got different DNS settings for wired and wireless connection on the PC?

porterclough
    Free Member

I had the problem s12000 describes – somehow Windows had picked up a wrong DNS address for the wifi and that needed resetting.

If you connect to the router via wifi (unplug the network cable) and then bring up command prompt, type this:

ipconfig /all

If the DNS address is differnt to the general router / DCHP address, then go into your network settings in Windows and hunt around for whatever it is that will reset that. You may have to tell it to forget the network and then set it up again, or there might be an option to obtain a new DNS, can't remember.

Garry_Lager

Thanks for the advice – it looks like the DNS settings are the same for both, so that doesn't look like it's the problem. I could try and re set-up the network I guess, maybe that would help.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Have you simply got to put the internet password back in?
    (usually called the security key) = I believe this can be done via the network & internet in your control panel

samuri
    Free Member

I'm assuming you associate fine because you say you can access the router and you get DNS settings.

Lets confirm they work then.

Open up a command window and type 'ping bbc.co.uk'
    Do you get an IP address returned? Does the site respond to your pings?

If so then type 'telnet bbc.co.uk 80'

Do you get something like this?

"Trying 212.58.224.138…
    Connected to bbc.co.uk.
    Escape character is '^]'."

If so then your internet connection is fine and it could be the browser. Let us know how that goes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless router help’ is closed to new replies.