Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Winter tyres for Krampus?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Knards just aren’t cutting it since we had all this rain

Dirt Wizard still the best option?

eddie11
    Free Member

Bonty mudx?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m running a Dirt Wizard up front with a Chupacabra on the rear, very pleased so far. The Chupacabra in particular is very impressive, once they need replacing I’ll probably go for those front and rear all year round (although my Krampus is mainly for winter use). Both much much better than the Knards and Chronicles they replaced.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Paceman – Member
    I’m running a Dirt Wizard up front with a Chupacabra on the rear…

Where’d you get the Chupacabras from? Heard good things about them…

I just swapped my front end Chronicle for a DW and although its a smudge smaller the extra grip is welcome in the mud.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Chronicles and you’ll be fine, I couldn’t find any bonty chupacabras when I looked.

Clobber
    Free Member

Bomboloni’s for the win! designed specifically for mud and snow!

Mind you, still got the dirt wizard on the front, contemplating swapping it out for a bomboloni too, nice tyre!

zinaru
    Free Member

dirt wizard up front, a geax gato out back…

Denis99
    Free Member

I swapped the Chupacabra on the front for a Chronicle.

The Chronicle has more of a square edge and shoulder for a more secure grip in corners etc.

I thought the Chupacabra was very good in the summer months when it was drier, and has a much rounder profile.

1-shed
    Free Member

Clobber where can you buy the bomboloni’s from?

eddie11
    Free Member

Singular had some

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

Clobber
    Free Member

Yes 1 shed, eddie11 has it, email Sam @ singular cycles

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

£75 quid a pop – I wonder if they are worth it?

Clobber
    Free Member

Sam rates them very highly, All I know is they’ve got to better than my Trax Fatty, Knard and Chronicle in the current slop and I don’t want another dirt wizard out back if I can help it.

Well reviewed here, I’ll get some miles on mine before I can comment further

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Have you got them front and back then?

Clobber
    Free Member

Running DW out front at the mo

dirtyrider
    Free Member

have you got something else you can ride? I’ve got a krampus, if its wet and sloppy out its not my go to bike

pierrestozza
    Free Member

im in this boat. chronicles front and back that are like bambi on ice in the slop.
    was thinking of downsizing to something mud specific as mentioned above. (and a cheaper option)
    or even cheaper, just not use it in the slop!
    there dont seem many/any options for 3″ mud/winter tyres.
    downsizing would also give better mud clearance.
    my two penneth.

Paceman
    Free Member

Dirt Wizard up front with a Chupacabra on the rear… job done 😀

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Could you run a (much) narrower tyre on a 50mm rim?

eddie11
    Free Member

I ran smorgasbords on duallys all last winter and they were really good. Grippy and allowed low pressures. Smorgasbords had a really good shape. This was because my duallys were 12 months ahead of my rooster. Ahem.

ssboggy

I’m finding a Dirt Wizard on the front excellent in the slop,I was running a Chronicle before which was great until it hit the slop then it instantly became the scariest tyre I’ve ever ran on the front of a MTB

ajantom

I’m lucky round here as it’s mostly sand, pebble beds and gravel. So I leave the Knard in the back, and have a Chronicle on the front.

However, in the past when it’s been extra sloppy, or I’ve gone elsewhere that has a lot more mud (i.e. the Quantocks) I’ve used On-One Chunky Monkeys.
    They’re a properly big 2.4 tyre anyway, and come up really big on 50mm rims.

Paceman
    Free Member

I found Chunky Monkeys made my Krampus feel awful, they took away all the float the high volume 3″ tyres provide and the bike lost most of it’s fun factor that sets it aside from other 29ers. Other 2.35″/2.4″ tyres were similar.

I used Chronicles last winter which were slightly better than Knards in the mud but not brilliant, the new Dirt Wizards and Chupacabras are both much much better tyres and i’ve not found any conditions yet where they haven’t performed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres for Krampus?’ is closed to new replies.