Home Forums Bike Forum Winter SPD Shoes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Winter SPD Shoes
  • crossed

After yesterday’s ride which ended with absolutely soaked feet it’s time to invest in some winter shoes. I previously had a pair of the Northwave Celsius boots many moons ago but they died a couple of years back so the new version of these is my first thought.

What does everyone here recommend in the way of winter SPD shoes?

matt_outandabout

My Shimano MW5’s are the shizzles for me using SPD’s. A tad wider than many Shimano, warm, dry enough, and just a nice boot generally.

tall_martin

I got many years (2008-2023) out of a pair of Shimano waterproof shoes. These are the closest they currently make. They weren’t perfect, I needed gaiters over the top with waterproof trousers over the top or water just ran down into them. There were a load better than normal shoes with cover.

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/shimano-mw501-dryshield-spd-shoes?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw68K4BhAuEiwAylp3kqmCSv-JMj6gUJd54wZksScyFlVZtb92RbEyj6se_GAHfmddoEOMZBoCv0YQAvD_BwE#248=12890

They weren’t perfect, I needed gaiters over the top with waterproof trousers over the top or water just ran down into them. There were a load better than normal shoes with covers

I bought a pair of these in the crc sale. I only had one ride in them last year because they were too warm for spring. They had a great write up here

https://www.fizik.com/uk_en/terra-nanuq-gtx.html

Fizik Terra Nanuq GTX shoe review

They were great on the  one wet cold ride. Warmer than my old boots and dryer. Pedaling was fine, walking was fine. Not sure I’d pay £280 for the privilege. I imagine I’ll also be wearing gaiters and waterproof trousers over the top as the ankles aren’t tight. Good for comfort, bad for water running down my leg.

IHN

I’ve had many years of great use out of my Shimano MW81s, but they’re now pretty knackered, so I think this year I’ll be treating myself to their latest incarnation, the MW702.

abingham

I’d start with waterproof socks personally. The Sealskins miltary issue knee high ones are cheap to come by and (so far) have been impermeable for me. I wear thin sock underneath, those, and then my usual Five Ten SPDs, so much cheaper than 2 pairs of shoes!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Also interested in this – got a pair of MW80 that are on their last legs, and I ride enough that 2 pairs would be no bad thing to allow for drying time between rides, which can get tricky when its proper wet.

My issue is trying stuff on – the only winter SPD boots currently in stock locally are the Endura ones and I’m sufficiently suspicious of Enduras variable QC to not be overly confident on taking that leap.

Lake look good, and if I sign up to mailing list can get a discount which brings them in line with other makers, but no way to try them.

Shimano MW702 would be an easy option, but they seem to have made the sole very XC/luggy, which might be ok in thick mud, but I want grip on wet rock so without a fondle to see what the rubber is like, I’m reserving judgement.

mick_r

I was also a long term MW81 user that wore them for years until destroyed.

Bought some MW5s last year and not very impressed. They are colder, made on a narrower last and much sweatier (noticeably damp from sweat in 30 mins which then adds to the coldness. And smelliness…..)

The only good things are the sole is better for walking and the sizing is “normal” (old Shimano you had to go up a size).  I’ve posted a photo in previous threads showing how a size 43 MW5 insole is over 1cm longer than my wife’s MW81 size 43 insole.

For a wide fit I can only find Lakes as an option. Would also like to try Gaerne and Vaude but they are impossible to get in the UK and too expensive a punt from abroad.

z1ppy

MW81 was shirely just a waterproof boot , it was never warm IMO, though I see the MW5 is marketed as a winterboot. Personnally a winter boot is Lake MXZ304, Bontrage OMW, or something from .45nrthm these rest are just pretenders. As for the cost, having warm comfortable feet every winter is worth it to me, my LXZ 301’s have seen 9 previous winter, so have paid for themselves & keep on going

montylikesbeer

I have a pair Shimano MW501 and combined with a pair of Sealskinz Raynham socks (sometimes with the addition of a pair of Bridgedale Coolmax socks), never have my feet been warmer or dryer.

matt_outandabout

Lake MXZ304

I had an older model of them. Warm upper. No insulation below and a big hole in the waterproofing for the cleat access. *facepalm)

chestrockwell

I’ve got some Northwave with a furry lining, possible Celsius? Anyway, they’re very comfortable, waterproof and warm so just the job!

cookeaa

Another user of MW5/501 here, I’d say they are good for winter and damp weather, but definitely not utterly water-tight if you’re stomping about in puddles and monsoons a lot.

In my head there’s a difference between a ‘winter boot‘ (for cold conditions) and a ‘waterproof  winter boot‘ (for cold, wet conditions) personally I am happy enough with more of a cold weather boot, if it’s utterly pissing it down I’m probably more inclined to stay in these days rather than try fully to seal my feet.

lovewookie

I’ve had a few different ones over the years. Northwave were a bit odd, I just couldn’t find the right cleat position, but they were OK in use. Sidi were amazing, but narrow. they were warm though and very expensive.

more recently I’ve stuck with Shimano, MW5’s for ages but hated the speed laces. they’d stay put ok, but really difficult to get a comfy fit. warm enough with winter socks. they did get a bit leaky at one of the seams, but still not bad with waterproof sock on too.

I managed to pick up a pair of MW7’s and thy are really good. the boa is secure and allows for more toebox comfort as it’s secured a bit further up the foot. they’re warm enough for my poor circulatory system in my feet, but the wiggle room helps with that. The MW702’s are not much different to the MW7’s just a refining of the storm flap.

iainc

I have MW7’s and Spesh Defrosters. I haven’t used the Defrosters since getting the Shimano ones…. Really should get round to selling them.

towzer

Shimano mw80
    Bontrager omw
    Fleecy sealskins.

Out of interest Has anybody tried these (or similar)

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/tatonka-velo-gaiter-gaiters/

dreednya
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.