Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • winter riding trousers
  • Matt_SS_xc

decided its time to get some winter trousers, occasionally its just too cold for the thermal 3/4’s especially on the morning commute.
    Quite like the look of the altura attack x waterproof’s anyone have any experience? I like the idea of the vent….

what do other people wear? any recomendations? I’d love some that dont need anything underneath a trouser rather than an overtrouser but they dont seem to exist – maybe too sweaty??

thanks in advance

RealMan
    Free Member

I used a pair of altura nightvision trousers last year. Super light, super packable.

Pretty thin, but really waterproof. Would wear shorts underneath, but you could wear trousers if you wanted. Depends on the intensity of your commute I guess. Mine was pretty high intensity, so never got cold with a thin pair of shorts. Think they were pretty cheap off wiggle too.

Lots of adjustment too, including length, and straps to stop it getting caught in your chain. They don’t look wicked cool or anything, but they do work very well. Reflective strips too.

EDIT: £52 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-night-vision-waterproof-overtrousers/

😯 don’t remember them being that expensive..

Matt_SS_xc

should have mentioned that i’d like the trousers to double up for cold MTB rides. That was why the toughness of the altura x appealed, I know that means a compromise one way or both but budget doesn’t stretch to too many clothing options.

justatheory
    Free Member

Endura singletrack are good but not waterproof.

Matt_SS_xc

yeh I liked the look of those, it would be singletrack trousers with cheap waterproofs or expensive waterproofs with tights underneath!?

RealMan
    Free Member

For cold mtb rides, just bib longs. You’re going to sweat and get fairly wet anyway, and trousers will just collect mud and rub and be annoying.

If you’re set on trousers though, going from my experience with altura, I’d guess you wouldn’t go far wrong with your first suggestion.

Nick

Couple of guys I ride with have the alturas and recommend them, they don’t seem to struggle with them getting too hot and sweaty eather.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes stealth are the best highly breathable and totally waterproof – can get clammy on bum/seat interface on longer rides- not cheap though

TheBrick
    Free Member

embrace the tracksters.

FieldMarshall

I invested in a pair of Altura attack trousers last winter.

Really impressed with the quality and fit.

I generally only wear undershorts and haven’t found it problem.

jester
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a pair of Endura Gridlock for the commute more my budget http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9273

paultm
    Free Member

For cold night rides I got a set of Gore Fusion SO trousers. The windstopper keeps you warm and they are shower proof, plus if you get hot you can zip the legs off. They also don’t look quite as silly as bib tights in the pub! If you shop around they are pretty good value.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘winter riding trousers’ is closed to new replies.