Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Winter pedals?
  • fridge
    Free Member

Have read the various winter boots threads and lots of different views, I’m wondering if changing from SPD pedals might be worth a try. Out for 3 hours today and even with my DX spd shoes and merino socks feet were numb about half-way and it wasn’t that cold. Can’t help feeling that attaching a big lump of metal to you feet can’t help.

Spotted a suggestion to the same end that switching to Look pedals made a big difference (I’m guessing roadie), any idea if other mtb pedal systems Look/Time use less metal and would hence be warmer?

Never got cold feet with flats which reinforces my thinking…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pre warm your shoes and socks before you ride and don’t do the straps or laces up too much.

druidh
    Free Member

I think we have a winner.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some overshoes.

fridge
    Free Member

Thought about overshoes but it feels like you lose a lot more heat through the sole than the upper.

Flats just don’t feel right on my xc/road 69er, they were always fun but somehow don’t seem fast!

Composite body on most Time pedals but still a metal cleat… perhaps I need to build my own plastic/insulated shoe to pedal interface?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thought about overshoes but it feels like you lose a lot more heat through the sole than the upper

Yeh dunno. My road shoes have vents in the soles, with overshoes my feet stay warm.

fridge
    Free Member

Yeh dunno. My road shoes have vents in the soles, with overshoes my feet stay warm.

Fair enough, certainly cheaper to try overshoes than new pedals.

Cheers

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Overshoes

Thread closed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Winter pedals?’ is closed to new replies.