Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Winter on a road bike… any tips?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As long as you wrap up warm then jobs a goodun. I’ve been really enjoying riding in the shite weather the past couple of weeks, just got back from a ride now infact. Its far better than last winter when it was incredibly icy and the only roads that were rideable were the main ones. Keep on trucking, its definitely worth it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Have we actually had any shite weather this year, though? Its currently 12 degrees, and yeah a bit windy, but compared to last year its lovely out.

Merak

You dont use embrocation under your longs, you weapons.

Its for bare skin when you are manning up with shorts on, hence the term;

Belgian Knee Warmers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have we actually had any shite weather this year, though? Its currently 12 degrees, and yeah a bit windy, but compared to last year its lovely out.

Yesterday I couldnt keep my eyes open when I was out cos rain and wind were so strong. I think wednesday and thursday the winds were about 60mph+ round my way. Depends what you class as “shite weather”

oldgit
    Free Member

“shite weather” as far as I’m concerned that’s just wind, everything else is hunky dory.

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends what you class as “shite weather”

Bad enough to get the Aldi jacket out the cupboard.

iDave
    Free Member

“Bad enough to get the Aldi jacket out the cupboard.”

Ahh, summer….

doodlebug
    Free Member

Fill your road tubes up with Stan’s milk = No punctures to fix in the cold rain 😆

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t know if it was mentioned, but always give your bike a rinse off and quick blast of WD40. The road salt is evil.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh, and be VERY aware of how much worse your brakes will stop you in the wet on a road bike, particularly if you’ve got mud onto the rims. I very nearly had a trip into a river yesterday as my rear brakes were having none of it. Ironically, on the next descent they grabbed a lot quicker than expected and on wet cobbles, that’s not so much fun.

globalti
    Free Member

Get a CX bike with disc brakes and nice fat 32mm tyres, pumped to 80psi. Fit a set of mudguards and you’ll be able to ride your usual road routes AND nip along that towpath or track if you feel like a shortcut. On my usual 2 hour training/cafe ride with 1750 ft of climbing my heavier CX bike was only 8 minutes slower than my carbon roadie.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

For those of you who like long dangly flaps I got some of these

You can get them online via http://www.buddyflaps.com/index.htm for $14, different designs available and they’ll do custom designs as well

mrblobby
    Free Member

I quite fancy a CX bike, unfortunately after two new bike builds last year and a baby on the way, 2012 will be a year of biking austerity!

Atlaz, my brakes are bad enough in the dry. Must get some new pads and give the rims a good scrub.. What pads for winter…?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

What pads for winter…?

KoolStop Salmons work for me

LS
    Free Member

KoolStop salmons here as well.
    Proper guards (SKS) make a world of difference, Cruds are ok but not as good as the real thing. With a bit of ingenuity you can make them fit a lot of full-on race frames.
    All the rest has been covered above such as black bar tape, CO2 canisters etc, but one thing I’d add is Gore cables. Combined with the near ubiquitous cartridge bearings they make a bike more or less winter-proof with little needed beyond a rinse down, squirt of oil and brake pad/chain changes.

chakaping
    Free Member

This seems like a sensible place to ask for mudguard recommendations. My road bike does not have mounts.

Are Race Blades quick to put on and take off?

iainc

What is the best lube for road bikes in winter ? i have been using my usual finish line green that i use off road but it gets very claggy

oldgit
    Free Member

Are Race Blades quick to put on and take off?

Hold in place, clip clip clip clip done. Repeat for other wheel. Obviously the initial fitting is slower, cutting the bands to length, knowing exactly where to fit.

iainc

also worth putting some insulating tape round the contact points on the frame, esp seat stays

mudsux
    Free Member

Winter on a road bike… any tips?

shorter rides with a training plan.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Hi fellas
    Just started this roadie lark and second ride in got a puncture as the farmer had cut his hedges-grrrr
    What tyres would you recommend to reduce the chances as it spoilt a nice ride- typically 1 mile from home!!

oldgit
    Free Member

pop all good tyres are good, if that makes sense. Folders seem to fare better than wired and decent air pressure helps.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use 25mm Continental Gatorskin folding. Light comfortable and puncture resistant.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Oldgit- I know what you mean ( I think)- the tyres are in fairly good nick and I had them pumped up pretty hard so I just thought whether the tyres marketted as puncture resistant helped

uponthedowns- cheers for that will have a look at them- do they roll the same as ‘standard’ tyres- I dont need any more resistance beleive me!!

karnali
    Free Member

cx bike discs landcruisers and full guards, aldi snowboard glovesfor £6 layer up and i like ot get out early so 7am in the dark this morning was lovely and quiet, shame tomorrows will be a commute rather than a nice loop back home

oldgit
    Free Member

Top tip from todays ride. Head out into the wind and enjoy the freebie back. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Karnali. That never works for me 🙂

9am to avoid the ice, and have time for a light brekkie.
    Landcruisers are a no no here, they’re a magnet for the bloomin Blackthorhn.
    7am is a quiet time though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Top tip from todays ride. Head out into the wind and enjoy the freebie back.

If only – I had a ok tail wind to start with but hail stones and a headwind on the way back.

mrmo
    Free Member

Top tip from todays ride. Head out into the wind and enjoy the freebie back.

don’t do as i did out with the wind then turn for home, blow up and grovel for 20miles!

atlaz
    Free Member

What tyres would you recommend to reduce the chances as it spoilt a nice ride- typically 1 mile from home!!

Could have been worse. Problem with road bikes is you can find yourself 20-30-40 miles from home before puncturing without spares (or having used your last spares).

As for the wind… as the saying goes “You never have the wind with you — either it is against you or you’re having a good day”

mrblobby
    Free Member

Definitely a top tip, the last five miles into a strong headwind was good practice on the drops, though gusts made it quite tricky to hold a line.

Also stupid hedge trimming here resulted in a flat with about 10 miles to go, shall try the stans in tubes for next ride. Also a top tip… if you take your saddle bag with tubes and pump off to give the bike a wash, don’t forget to put it back on before heading out 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of mudgurads, I don’t really like the look or the wobbly fit, so I don’t use them even in the yuckyest of conditions. I’m not bothered about getting a wet bum, so long as I’m in good training mode and hacking long I jut keep warm that way.

I’d suggest you slam some decent climbs in your rides. Whether they be rep’s of short sharp ones where you do interval up them then do them again or whether they take an hour to climb, just climb more use your rotation and pace to regulate breathing and don’t blow up, just keep going.
    I’d also suggest intervals on the road, look ahead, spot a small rise in the road, ride the heck out of yourself to get over it then relax and rotate and bring back your breathing to a reasonable rate, then repeate. This will focus your mind, something that can be a bit of a grind on long flat sections.

I’ve just come back from a 3hr ride around Patley Bridge taking in Brimham Rock, the moors and the long res in the vally floor, it was snowy on top and well slippy but the climbs I added into the ride warmed my up, the decents had to be taken slowly due to the slipy road and water run off, I was wearing a simple marino base layer, 3/4 legs under long legs, a l/s winter top and a thermal gillet and fleece beanie and some cheap thinsulate themal gloves. All in all I was toasty and well comfortable dispite the amount of water being kicked up my bottom..

emanuel
    Free Member

problem is if you have to stop,if you’re wet you’ll be miserable pretty quickly.it’s hard to warm up again.so you enter into a cycle of getting colder and it being harder to pedal yourself warm.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of mudgurads,

Burn the Witch. It was mudguard city today. One guy was having a right go at his brother for not having guards, think he was fed up with doing a stint only to have the favour repaid with rainwater, slurry and diesel. 😡

mrmo
    Free Member

mudguards aren’t really for the owner, more courtesy for those your riding with.

Merak

oldgit – Member

I’m not a fan of mudgurads,

Burn the Witch. It was mudguard city today. One guy was having a right go at his brother for not having guards, think he was fed up with doing a stint only to have the favour repaid with rainwater, slurry and diesel.

Agreed, cant see the attraction of sodding wet rear end and shoes/legs. Allied to that you’d be as welcome as a fart in a lift in any bunch.

However none of this matters if you ride on your own, all the time. In which case I wish you and your kidneys all the bast.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Now that I’ve tried mudguards I’m not going back!

rootes1

mudguards usage is a sign of maturity.

Merak

^ I like that guys flaps.

In my club there is a mudguard amnesty from October to March. If you don’t have mudguards then your not getting in. Indeed the use of a flap on the rear is encouraged for your following club mates comfort. 100 miles is a long way with constant spray in your boat race.

Whilst we are on the subject those Crud things are **** hopeless. They perhaps keep the rider dry but the spray off them! The mark II is better though but SKS are ftw with a big pair of flaps. *insert your own gag here*

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got the Crud Roadracer mk2 here. Bit fiddly to fit. Seems to do the job. Though I’ve not much to compare it to. Why do you say they’re hopeless? Is it just the spray? Keeps me nice and dry but only done solo rides so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Winter on a road bike… any tips?’ is closed to new replies.