Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Windproof fronted, fleece back jacket?
  • ton

any recommendations for a pertex/shower/windproof fronted jacket, with a fleece back and sleeves.

jam-bo

any fleece + windproof gilet.

ton

not what i asked tho is it.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Check out the Endura Windchill, loving mine. softshell front, Roubaix/fleecy sides arm and back. keeps you pretty warm, and has pit zips for cooling down when needed.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    jonba
    Free Member

DHB on wiggle. Something from the Windslam range. I have a roubaix which fits what you ask but is “performance” fit.

MrGreedy

Endura FS260 long-sleeved jersey is quite like this – windproof on the chest and arms, and a warmish stretchy material on the rest, not quite what I’d call fleecy though. I have a couple and they’re my go-to tops for cool temperatures when it’s not actually raining.

MSP

I had an endura windchill, found it a bit cheap and nasty, now have a sugoi firewall which is much much nicer.

They have some blue ones cheap here, although looks like I got the last xxl.

http://www.hibike.de/shop/product/pfd51ab9d7c22ccc5e576b8438d643636/Sugoi-Firewall-220-Zip-jacket-winter-11-12.html

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Fjallraven ALV Jacket? Clicky thingy

Got a lot of their kit, and its fantastic…

headfirst
    Free Member

Ground effect frosty boy is good

bentudder

Endura Windchill 2. I bought it at the weekend, and have been commuting in it all week. Really good.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Any of you Windchill owners have it in Medium or Large? If so, could you be so kind as to measure a sleeve from pit to cuff?

Cheers,

Paul

gonzy
    Free Member

i have a North Face Windwall fleece that’s been doing a sterling job for the last 6 years…cost me £70 back then but you can now get them for around £50 or less if you look around…

nedrapier

Why not get a fleece and mesh backed gilet? More choice, more flexibility.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

there used to be a polaris one that would have fit the bill perfectly, some people said it was too hot on occasion but perhaps theres an updated version?

eltonerino
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision has been good for me, and cheap too…

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22064

mrmo
    Free Member

I have an assos airblock. Very nice! I have a ground effect frosty boy. Bit long in the body and a bit baggy. Nice enough I’d you don’t want to use the back pockets

ton
    nedrapier

Yup, got the very same. nearly. I’ve got the Tour lite with the hood and the pit zips that they’ve stopped doing.

Love it, wish I’d bought 2. Very breathable, warm, really comfy, light, windproofish (not as much as a hardshell) waterproofish. very versatile: you can wear it as a base layer, mid layer or outer, and even double up vapour-rise layers.

Bit warm for cycling, though. It gets busted out for sub zero commutes.

nedrapier

They do a vapour rise top with fleece (powerstretch) side panels, migth be up your street?

honeybadgerx

I’ve had a Rab vapour rise stretch top for years and it’s bloody brilliant. Pretty much the only top I wear when I go out on the bike now, apart from in summer. Cut is good, windproof, very breathable and also packs down pretty well to put in your sack. Material is also pretty tough and the jacket is in good nick given the amount of abuse it’s seen.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I don’t have the Windchill to hand at the mo, but it is a large, and quite close fitting. Sleeves are long, but not too long, so I wouldn’t size up particularly.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

anyone use Rab stuff. this caught my eye.

Yup..

Will show you it on Sunday.

Trekster

Got a Rab from the photon range with a hood and Primaloft filled, use it daily for walking around but think it would be way too warm to bike in 🙄 Like Rab stuff. Hagloffs is another brand I have found to be good via Cotswolds discount online site 😆
    Pearl Izzumi is another I would recommend

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Windchill here too. Very good jacket (not what I would describe as cheap!!). Also have a Endura Equipe full waterproof softshell thing which is the dogs (not cheap at all).

Regards

BadlyWiredDog

anyone use Rab stuff. this caught my eye.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/vapour-rise_1/vapour-rise-lite-jacket.html

I’ve got the VR Lite Alpine version of that with the hood and really rate it for cold weather biking. Very breathable, wicks well, not 100% windproof, but enough and okay with light rain for short periods too. Breathable enough to layer under waterproof if it does rain harder.

I’ve also got a Gore Bike Wear Windstopper-fronted jersey that I use with arm warmers that works quite well as a combination.

bowglie

I’ve one of the Endura Wintex front/sleeves and fleece back jacket/jerseys that I’m selling if you’re interested. Size L. Nothing wrong with it, and hardly worn. £35 posted.

ton

not what i am after mate…cheers tho.

druidh
    Free Member

Marmot do one. I will try to find a link for you

ElShalimo

Ton – a bloke called Keith runs a one man outfit called “extreme outdoor clothing” in Lichfield. It’s all made to measure outdoor kit but at normal high street prices (for the big brands)
    He does a variety of standard sizes or made to measure. For you this might be ideal as you can order what you want, in your colour of choice, fitted just for you but you’ll probably have to wait a month for it to be made
    Google “K2 elite cyclist”. K2 is the old Mountain Equipment ultrafleece, also called Karisma fleece. It’s great stuff and very breathable
    It’ll probably cost you £70-80 but it’ll last a long time and will be just what you wanted

druidh
    Free Member
    nedrapier

If druidh’s thinking about the one I think he’s thinking of, it’s called Variant. Powerstretch zip-up fleece with the vest front from a synth insulated gilet.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4447

Edit: he beat me to it!

ElShalimo

Druidh – it’ll probably be too hot for anything except winter (but not today). The variant range has synthetic insulation in the front, so great for winter climbing but way too hot for cycling. The powerstretch material on the sides & back are pretty warm but very breathable too. One downside of powerstretch is that it pongs like the original synthetic base layers, so it’ll stink after each bout of heavy perspiration. My Rab PS top is evil smelling after just a little sweating out walking or scrambling

mattythemod
    Free Member

Ton

What did you end up getting then ?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Windproof fronted, fleece back jacket?’ is closed to new replies.