Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Will flat pedals make me a better rider?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I confess I have not read every thread here but I did notice you were looking at double sided pedals i.e. clips on one side, flats on the other.

DON’T BOTHER

You will spend half your time looking at your feet trying to either clip in or find the flat side. Waste of time. I tried them for a while. They’re good if your SPD bike happens to be your shopping bike as well, but otherwise I would avoid like the plague.

The-Beard

It’s *you* that drives improvemnets, not the kit you’re usin

Well I suggest a spelling course for starters… 😉

I know the areas I wish to improve in and feel that learning proper technique is the way to do it – I see riding on flats as a way to improve my technique. It’s hardly a case of substituting ability with kit…

GW
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon –

and 5.10’s werent a climbing shoe recently addapted by DH’ers.

Intense had some skate shoes made up and soled in stealth rubber by 5.10, they then went out of production, leading to a lot of very worn out pairs being gaffataped up. Untill 5.10 started producing them again and all was well in the world.

Try cycling in climbing shoes, its flipin impossible! Even aproach shoes are nothing on skate shoes/5.10’s

if that’s intended as a reply to my post, try reading what I said more carefully. 😉
    I’m fully aware of the Intense shoes, they were very common on the UK DH race scene from around 1999ish and are what I was referring to in the first place.

Kovarik in 2002 @ Ft William sporting intense shoes in what could be considered the first real flat pedal obliteration of the clipped-in competition in DH history. 14seconds IIRC.

5:10s being produced again was down to the company getting inundated with Emails from a campaign started on Ridemonkey DH forum.
    Here’s the result:
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95636

GW
    Free Member

wwaswas – thanks for explaining.
    I’m surprised you found that with 661 Launch shoes, I have a pair for my roadbike (SPD version) and they are way too stiff to be of any use on a flat pedal IMO. or do they do a softer more flexible flat pedal specific version?

alpin
    Free Member

thing that pisses me off with SPD’s is in the winter. more spciafically in snow. a ball of ice forms around the cleat and and then also the pedals get full of ice. you are then left with your feet slding off the pedal at the most inconvinient of places. i do not mind not being clipped in. i just want to be sure that i am clipped in or not.

i’m going to puchase a set of wellgo v12 copies and use and oldish pair of air force 1’s once the death ice **** off. death ice being the 2″ layer of ice that is currently everywhere after a quick thawing of the snow then a sudden change in temp leaving everywhere resembling a 4×4 style ice-rink. besides, i think a lot of bikes look more serious with flats than Spuds.

nickc

i think a lot of bikes look more serious with flats than Spuds.

Oh yeah, that’ll help with bike handling skills.

IMO flats won’t make you a better rider, doing stuff that stretches your capabilities will. Riding with guys who are better/faster than you will improve your skills, If you ride XC, doing a DH day will improve your skills, likewise, the other way round. Go on a skills day. Go to some North shore.

Changing a bit of kit isn’t going to help.

IMO if you get over the obstacle that your trying to get over by, say, bunny hopping, the fact that you’re bunny hopping on flats, or SPDs make eff all difference.

steel4real
    Free Member

I’m surprised that there are flat pedal shoe faschists !
    For me Vans and the like are too flexy and soak up any wet weather too much. But I don’t mind what other people prefer to wear.

Personally I found flat pedals improved my riding ability and made me a better all round rider as they increased my confidence for technical stuff, fast stuff, well any stuff where skills and good technique. It took me a long time to make the transition from 12 years of SPD’s but flats enabled me to take my riding where I wanted to go, and I much prefer the feel toy get for the bike with flats. I reckon I’ve seen more good riders in the last few years on flats, and far fewer good tech riders on SPD’s.

But if you like SPD’s and have tried flats and not like them, then so what ?

acjim
    Free Member

Swapping to flats added loads to my riding mainly because

1) My confidence improved as I could bail from the bike – just not possible in spuds, especially on drops, techy bits etc. They make you think – ok just have a crack at it!

2) Learning how to b-hop, endo etc without clips taught me control

3) They make riding Fun with a capital Ph

Still use spds for big days out though as skate shoes are not that great for extended pedalling sessions.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I too have a beard so you can trust me….

I’ve been riding flats since the summer and really like the feel of the big platform. I found I developed new skills because I had to, like properly unweighting the bike, getting c of g lower and generally being more aware of moving more of my body – the effect of moving my ankles, feet as well as everything else. I seem to feel more of what’s happening with the bike through the bigger platform.

Of course everything can be done spd or flats, we know that, but I know what I like. I also like grippy pedals and sticky 5.10s, why would you not want to have grip on the bumpy stuff?

Crag
    Free Member

flats are stupid and they knacker your shins

if you can’t ride with spds your a crap rider – FACT

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Crag – Member
    flats are stupid and they knacker your shins

if you can’t ride with spds your a crap rider – FACT

You’re either a troll, a retard or a retarded troll. No point wasting my time explaining why.

Trekster

read the whole thread….what a loada bo$%%ks

MrNutt
    Free Member

I like flats.

phutphutend

Drop your saddle, I know it’s got nothing to do with flats but…the amount of XC riders i see riding technical terrain with their saddle up their arse, it’s hilarious. Drop your saddle and give yourself some room to move around the bike. Then start riding steeper hills. Let off the brakes. Let those tyres drift. Get a bit raggedy!

Then get some flats, you’ll need them. Get you foot out for balance, a little saving dab and to look cool!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Happy medium – Time z freeride pedals – lots of float and can clip out and use as a flat pedal if needed
    Love to be able to switch full time to flats but havn’t got the patience to re-learn jumping skills

The-Beard

Well I’ve bought some cheap Superstar ones to try out so if I learn some new skills and improve my technique it’ll be all good.

That is if I survive Superstar pedals of course!

GW
    Free Member

Ed-O
    believe it or not, you really don’t need sticky soles to keep your feet in place over rough terrain. your whole body keeps your feet in the correct position (that’s how it’s possible to remove limbs from grips/pedals etc in the air and have them back in place before you land), the position of your cranks (rearward foot slightly lower) and angle of your pedal (heel down) stops your feet bouncing off, and a flexible sole allows you to actually grip the pedals (cupping the sole of your foot round them)
    sticky soles actually prevent you re-positioning your foot without actually lifting it off and placing it back. the way you weight flat pedals in turns, dips, rises, compressions & lips a certain amount of foot re-positioning can be a good thing. (much like float in SPDs.)
    I recently heard an Elite DH rider say “I hate flats for DH, with SPDs I don’t have to think about my feet and can just get on with riding” He has a point, SPDs still make sense for DH racing IMO but you need to be a more precise rider than on Flats. watch any WC DH race and you can see how much more loose and ragged the fastest Flat pedal riders are compared to the fastest SPD riders.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

GW – Member
    Ed-O
    believe it or not, you really don’t need sticky soles to keep your feet in place over rough terrain. your whole body keeps your feet in the correct position (that’s how it’s possible to remove limbs from grips/pedals etc in the air and have them back in place before you land), the position of your cranks (rearward foot slightly lower) and angle of your pedal (heel down) stops your feet bouncing off, and a flexible sole allows you to actually grip the pedals (cupping the sole of your foot round them)
    sticky soles actually prevent you re-positioning your foot without actually lifting it off and placing it back. the way you weight flat pedals in turns, dips, rises, compressions & lips a certain amount of foot re-positioning can be a good thing. (much like float in SPDs.)
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO #

Believe it or not……in this part of the world we get a s*** load of rain. Rain and or mud + flats = slippage on rough technical bits in skate shoes, no such issues with stealth soles. I dont know how you ride but I tend not to have my whole body weight over my pedals, especially when the going gets rough.

Sticky soles are my preference for all riding now but I realise that they are more or less overkill on those rare dusty trail days. I keep my 5 10s on though because I appreciate the added ankle and toe protection over skate shoes, and also I just feel more confident with the extra grip.

A flexible sole cupping the pedal as you describe can actually be painful after only a few dh runs in skate shoes and can be especially noticeable if you ride aggressively on a hardtail.

GW – Member
    Ed-O

I recently heard an Elite DH rider say “I hate flats for DH, with SPDs I don’t have to think about my feet and can just get on with riding” He has a point, SPDs still make sense for DH racing IMO but you need to be a more precise rider than on Flats. watch any WC DH race and you can see how much more loose and ragged the fastest Flat pedal riders are compared to the fastest SPD riders.

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO #

First off, I think your talking waffle about riders with spds being smoother than riders on flats – if that’s the case kindly post a few vids for comparison. Should be easy to find vids of two elites on different pedal platforms on the same trail. Perhaps a slightly skewed example would be Fabien Barel’s section in NWD 8 – some of the smoothest fastest big mountain riding in any video you’re likely to see. Second – being aesthetically pleasing is irrelevant in DH racing, it’s all about the clock.

Anyway I think your missing the bigger picture here, with the exception of Hill, Rennie (who are sponsored by 5 10) and a few others most pros are not exclusively flat or spd, they’ll change as the course demands. It’s not unusual for them to run spds on a fast pedally track and change to flats for steeper technical courses.

I also think the fact that DH has it’s roots in more pedal friendly courses means that a lot of the current stable of DH riders come from an era when you needed spds to be competitive they have stuck with sods and have passed on that school of thought. Progression in bike technology, course styles and riding has led to flats becoming more competitive and accepted . There’ll probably always be a place for both but I wouldnt be surprised to see a generation of riders coming up who prefer flats and dominate on them.

Nico
    Free Member

Learning and mastering a basic bunnyhop on flats, so that you’re lifting the bike initially with your arms and upper body and then bringing the rest up with your hips, arse and legs is one of the most basic and fundamental skills. For a long time, I relied completely on doing this with my feet as they were attached to the bike, but it’s the wrong technique and will get you into more trouble than it solves.

OK, so how do you bring the rest up with your hips, arse and legs?

GW
    Free Member

Ok, GNARGNAR let me just patch up a few of the holes you “think” you’ve found in what I posted…
    what part of the world are you in? I’m in Scotland hardly a a dry place is it? so I know fine well what happens when you add mud into the equation with flats and skate shoes.
    I’ve already explained fairly well that your feet don’t stay in position just from any one force. 🙄
    I also said flexible soles, not thin soles – there’s a huge difference.
    I also happen to ride an awful lot of DH on a hardtail.
    I didn’t mention smothness, I mentioned looseness and raggedness but anyway since you mention it, take Rennie Vs Peat would be a very good example two very big guys, watch the two through any rough section, there will be very little difference between their speed but Peat can almost look dull in comparison to Rennie’s Beasting style. or Kovarik versus Barel – kovarik when he’s “on it” always looks wild and on the edge whereas Barel is very very precise… well, you know what, you go and watch them, you’ll see what I mean. I could go on and on Pascal vs Minnaar, Gee vs Hill, Camelini vs Blenkinsop, Beaumont vs Donny, Stanny vs Brayton….
    I haven’t seen NWD8 but your example is indeed skewed – Barel (who you cite as some of the smoothest “big mountain? (WTF?) riding is an SPD racer 😕
    think you’ll find most riders don’t switch pedals very often at all(for the track) and when racing and it has f*** all to do with sponsorship. – many won’t even run their sponsors tyres if it’s not the right choice for the track.
    as for Aesthetics in DH, I think your wrong, it is a very important aspect why else has the use of skinsuits just been banned? and where have you been hiding? there already is a large wave of younger racers coming through doing rather well on flats

For your viewing pleasure, Picking Schladming at random…

Flats riders
    Sam B – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005837
    Hill – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005838
    SPD riders
    Peat – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005841
    Minnaar – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005840

What do you think? who were more exciting to watch? and was it because they were more on the edge? a little Ragged even?

😉

GW
    Free Member

nico – to bunnyhop, once you’ve raised the front (by pulling back on the bars and simultaneously shifting your weight rearwards) you then lift the rear end by pushing the bars away from you (forward) in one fluid movement.

first practice rolling along and raising the front by pulling back and shifting your weight rearwards.
    then practice rolling along and moving your weight forwards pushing forwards on the bars while similtaniously pushing your feet back and up until you can raise just the rear wheel.
    now all you need to do is to put it all together, if you can raise each wheel individually it’s just the timing you need to get right to get both off the ground.

mattrivett
    Free Member

I used to use Time peddles (way easier to clip in, never affected by mud/ice and unclip a lot more naturally in a crash) then I went to see a friend in Whistler and rented a bike with flats. It took 5 minutes to learn that the angle of your feet and curling your toes make all the difference, something I had forgotten using clips.

Now I only use flats, it took maybe 2 days riding to completely forget about worrying that my feet might slip off in the air or under braking or going down steep stuff, and now it’s all good. The biggest difference by far was lowering my saddle and getting my arse back! incidentally I now know why my shorts have a hard plastic pad on the back!!

I don’t know if I could honestly say it’s improved my riding or made me braver knowing I’m not clipped in. I can definitely say it feels better and I enjoy riding more with flats.

Matt

dasnut
    Free Member

I spoke to peaty the other day he says:

“I only use spds because my feet are so big the wind gets under um and they flat about like a mad thing”

clipped in? you ****

flats rule

thread closed

hora
    Free Member

Read an article quoting Mr Peat saying riding flats on a HARDTAIL will make you a smoother rider. Hardtail & flats is the key?

Crag
    Free Member

I always find that when wearing my super sticky 5.10’s I struggle to do a tail whip.

Much easier whilst using spd’s, something to do with the extra efficiency.

dasnut
    Free Member

tail whip?

walnut whip more like

nail your boots to your pedals! nail em up thats what I say

robdob
    Free Member

Tailwhip with SPD’s, are you kidding?
    Surely you meant to put a 😉 in there somewhere, or you are not sure what a tailwhip is?

Chunkylumber
    Free Member

Does anyone know the best flats to complement 5.10’s for the most grip?

Crag
    Free Member

There’s a couple of high rise near me that really set off my Rockport boots.

MrAgreeable

Anything with a concave body shape and not too may pins. Having said that, the new Straitlines have loads of pins but grip is ace as the pins are octagonal instead of round. Have to agree with GW though, technique is just as important as grip.

jwt
    Free Member

‘The Beard’, what is it in particular that has stagnated in your riding?
    maybe try riding somewhere new, with a new club/group who are more into the area of riding you seek to improve? or as suggested above a skills course maybe to address the specific thing/things you seek to improve.

tomlevell

Sorry can’t be arsed to read all that.
    Getting flats and decent shoes (Vans waffle soles for me) and using them and sticking with it will benefit your riding skills.

My tips would be
    – seat down on descents as being at full xc height makes it feel like an ejector seat
    – don’t fight the bike with your feet just let it do what it does best
    – full sus is easier to learn on as your feet don’t get bounced off as much although it’s not a major issue on a hardtail once your confident

Shin pads are fine if you’ve got spikey flats on.

I’ve not ridden flats now for 3 years so I’m looking forward to dry trails and warmer weather to stick them back on again.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally I can’t understand people who ride SPDs who say that they clip out on techy stuff, that’s the place where I most want to be attached to my bike. I’ve never yet fallen off and remained attached to my bike when I haven’t wanted to.

Because its far easier to dab a foot down and keep blasting than it is to weasel your way round stuff clipped in at times. I’ve done some pretty hair raising stuff when on flats, even done the old step off, foot down, bounce, back onto saddle, continue without slowing, but on clips you just stack it because you can get out fast enough but there’s not enough grip to just dive back on and continue.

I’ve ridden both fairly extensively and each has its own place. I feel more comfortable on flats and feel I jump and ride faster on flats, but couldnt do a long XC trek on flats as I lose a lot of power from the upstroke obviously. If SPDs were the best thing for technical work you’d see trials riders using them for ease of “cheating”, but you will never see that.

So to summarise my point of view – for trials and fast technical downs – flats, for long XC rides or SSing lesser-technical stuff – spds.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve ridden on flats all my life, never even touched spd’s ever. If I start using spd’s will my riding ability begin to deteriorate ?

tomlevell

Kovarik in 2002 @ Ft William sporting intense shoes in what could be considered the first real flat pedal obliteration of the clipped-in competition in DH history. 14seconds IIRC.

For margin maybe but Nico used to run flats regularly and win World Cups with them. I’d add him to obliterating the clipped in competition.

Mike King Mr Nobody winning Metabief on flats when he had to qualify and was almost last man down. The Italians were already celebrating.

I assume Cully was running flats when he won at Bromont.

I can’t find their winning margins online.

tomlevell

I’ve ridden on flats all my life, never even touched spd’s ever. If I start using spd’s will my riding ability begin to deteriorate ?

Only if you let it. You may find you can bring that experience to Spds and you might be amazed. You also may hate them ;0)

Worst thing about SPDs is pulling your foot out just when your trying to do something dynamic. With flats that never happens as you aren’t relying on your foot to pull on the pedals.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there’s a paper on power transfer through trainers and flats Vs spd’s and cycling shoes

It was done with plastic flats and trainers but should be close enough. use google and an athens password if you have one to find it.

The power drop was in the region of 25% depending on the subject. So not a made up statistic.

On a final note, in a rock garden to big to jump over i find that im more controlled on flats as my weights further back keeping the wheel better connected to the ground, in spd’s i’d always try to “float” over it and end up loading the fork (on a hardtail) untill eventualy i’d flip over the front.

I know i could do that on spd’s but i dont.

MrAgreeable

The power drop was in the region of 25% depending on the subject. So not a made up statistic.

I can’t find that study. It is filed away with the one that proves that flats make you ride 300% faster through rock gardens? 🙄

tomlevell

LMAO – In the region of :0)

I never found them any real hinderance while riding. Certainly not having to use so much more energy to do a ride.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

what part of the world are you in? I’m in Scotland hardly a a dry place is it? so I know fine well what happens when you add mud into the equation with flats and skate shoes.

Ireland. If you know full well, why say you dont need] sticky soles to keep your feet in place over rough terrain?. You may not need sticky soles but they make a hell of a difference.

I’ve already explained fairly well that your feet don’t stay in position just from any one force.

your whole body keeps your feet in the correct position

Well to be fair , it’s not easy to understand what your saying above in relation to flat pedals and sticky soles, so I’ll just give you the road on that one.

I haven’t seen NWD8 but your example is indeed skewed – Barel (who you cite as some of the smoothest “big mountain? (WTF?) riding” is an SPD racer

The sequence Im refering to takes place (the first half) on an open mountain side as opposed to a race course. In the freerider vernacular this style of riding is often refered to as big mountain or open mountain – as opposed to trail riding. Savy?. In the clip it’s clear as day (on the dvd) that he’s wearing 5 10s, this doesnt seem to be detrimental to his flow or style in anyway that I can see.

Here is the clip

as for Aesthetics in DH, I think your wrong, it is a very important aspect why else has the use of skinsuits just been banned? and where have you been hiding? there already is a large wave of younger racers coming through doing rather well on flats

Aesthetics in clothing is one thing, I was talking about aesthetics in riding – I doubt anyone is gonna get banned for riding ” a bit ragged” would you agree?.

For your viewing pleasure, Picking Schladming at random…
    Flats riders
    Sam B – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005837
    Hill – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005838
    SPD riders
    Peat – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005841
    Minnaar – http://freecaster.com/1000006_1005840
    What do you think? who were more exciting to watch? and was it because they were more on the edge? a little Ragged even?

Granted there is a difference but for a mere mortal like myself to say Hill or Blenkinsop look “much more loose and ragged” to use your words, would be a bit rich. There is a difference between being “on it” and being ragged as I see it, though in this instance it’s probably just a matter of language. To me ragged implies a lack of control, this is clearly not the case with these guys.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Will flat pedals make me a better rider?’ is closed to new replies.