Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Will a frame that has an E type mech on it be replaced with a XTR top swing?????
  • squiff
    Free Member

As above, can it be changed over??????

Thanks

spooky_b329

Depends on the frame, some don't even have a seat tube to clamp the mech to.

midlifecrashes

Sometimes bottle bosses get in the way too.

wwaswas

as above – the E-Type is usually there for a reason.

njee20
    Free Member

I've got an XTR E-type that's barely used if that's a decent compromise!

khani
    Free Member

i was sceptical about etype mechs but having used one on a scott scale i was impressed, worked perfectly and if your chain drops off the granny ring the etype fitting plate saves your frame from chain gouges,
    EDIT exactley the same frame as that and all, you may want to know those scales dont have replacable mech hangers, when i borked the hanger on mine i ended up getting a used driveside dropout off a newer model scale with a replacable hanger from scott and sending the frame to a carbon repair company to bond the new/used dropout on at a cost of £75 plus postage, it rode lovely but after that i got rid as it was a right pita to sort

njee20
    Free Member

No, the seat tubes are too big to use anything but an e-type I believe.

khani
    Free Member

as njee 20 says, you cant run a normal mech either

squiff
    Free Member

Khani

Yes thats what i meant, i want to put a normal front mech on the seat tube, if i buy the frame i want to take the e type mech off and put a normal mech on instead, but it looks like this cant be done.

khani
    Free Member

cant be done the seat tube isnt a normal size to fit a band on mech, because the seatpost is oversized, id be more worried about the dropout, all in it cost about £100 to fix mine because after all that the dropout didnt come with a hanger, i had to buy one at the lbs after the dropout was fitted, id have another scale tomorrow but id get a newer one with a replacable hanger next time, thats a older model

khani
    Free Member

just had another look and it dosnt come with a seatpost, they are oversize 34.somthing not a standard size and not that cheap to buy either,

spooky_b329

Why do you not want to keep the E type mech? Genuine question 🙂

squiff
    Free Member

Spooky_b329

I just dont, plus there are more options for a normal mech, i know where i am with a normal mech

khani
    Free Member

they are dead easy to set up as well, bolt it on, set limit screws, bingo!
    i must say though, thats quite expensive for an older frame

squiff
    Free Member

Khani

Cheers, i was in two mines weather to buy it or not, i think the answers dont buy now

Thank you

khani
    Free Member

no probs, ace ride though, very playfull and faaaaaasssst! id look for a newer one with a post inc, probably get one for that sort of price as well
    and dont worry about etypes, piece of p**s to set up and work really well

njee20
    Free Member

For future reference seatposts are a 34.9

zaskar
    Free Member

I replaced an E-type mech with a conventional mech.

The tube wasn't brittle or racing quality so no probs there.

My nice bike I bought a top swing instead of conventional and had to use a spacer from fouling the bottle threads.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah it does depend on the frame, in this instance though, the seat tubes are just too fat.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Will a frame that has an E type mech on it be replaced with a XTR top swing?????’ is closed to new replies.