Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Will a dog ruin leather car seats
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Next car might have leather but we have a dog too so….
    will a dog ruin leather seats in a car by scraping with his claws (by accident rather than by being a bad dog)

hora
    Free Member

Dogs leak alittle or have wet whiskers from pissing (alkaline etc). Plus theres the dust particles etc that they drop/grind into the leather folds/creases.

Designate one seat that is the dogs- buy a dog-specific dog cover and keep it on. Sorted.

Note- NOT the thin Halfords ones.

haddock
    Free Member

get the estate version 😉

hora
    Free Member

and a harness on tight. Stop him/her from putting its paws on the door cards.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Dogs = wet smelly car 😀

shoefiti
    Free Member

We never got the smell of labradors out of our leather seats – we had to take a hit on the car when we sold it because we couldn’t hide the smell – seats faired ok on the scracthes thou (it was a volvo – a handme down from the in-laws- so not my choice)

you could always (i know it sounds daft) stick some old socks on their feet!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Get a fitted seat cover. You can also take it out and hose it off when it gets too smelly

midlifecrashes

We preferred leather,but heavy duty stuff in an older Volvo. 2nd the estate version. If it is a Volvo you can get a hard load liner which helps. Google for Hatchbag, their stuff is very good. We used to use a dog guard in our estate, but these days have him in a harness type thing tied to the load securing eyes in the back which works just as well for restraining him. Wouldn’t work for more than one dog, mind.

Flaperon

Depends on the dog whether it smells or not. We’re lucky to have a collie-cross who doesn’t smell at all, she’s been in lots of cars with leather seats but very little sign of it. Biggest problem is the hair, which will stick to any fabric surface in the car.

djglover
    Free Member

leather = wipe down seats.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Personally I wouldnt want my dog loose in the car. If we were to crash I’m sure she would do me and herself alot of damage!

So she stays in the boot where its safer for us both.

hilldodger
    Free Member

dog —> binbag —> car boot, sorted!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You should see the state of my mother in law’s Eos….Which used to have a lovely red leather interior
    🙁

Yes, she has a cover for the seats but her spaniel has ruined the car interior. The dirt is ingrained into the stitching, the back of the front seats and the side panels are filthy and scuffed. It is certainly not wipe clean.

Just don’t do it. Get a hatchback or estate and put the dog in the back. It’s better for the dog and better for you

Coyote
    Free Member

One the plus side, when the dog expires you can use it to recover the affected area.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL!
    🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Dog in boot with gaurd to stop it coming through onto back seats, this presumes you dont have a stupid saloon type car

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Biggest problem my family had was that the dog slides about at every turn or bend in the road – very unpleasent and dangerous for the dog and for everyone else. We tried a fixed cover, but as it was waterproof plastic upon leather the effect was much like an ice rink.

When the person above mentions ‘in the boot’ I hope he means a hatchback and not a saloon. Apart from being cruel, there is always a risk of the dog suffering from heat stroke. There is also risk of suffocating both from confinded space and from any fume leak that may come up from the exhaust system if there is any ventilation from outside.

glenp
    Free Member

You let the dog on the seats? Why?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Will a dog ruin leather car seats’ is closed to new replies.