Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Wide fitting road bike shoes ?
  • walowiz

I know it’s not mtb, but think gravel / road.

Have previously worn freeriders 510s but they get heavy and aren’t the bet feel on the road bike, I fancy getting some proper road / gravel shoes. Not fussed whether clipin or flats, but got to be fairly wide fitting.

Save me having todo multiple order and return test to find out the hard way. Anyone know of any road orientated (I’ll take gravel or light mtb) wide fit shoes ?

MSP

Lake cx201 are probably the widest, in pretty much all other wide fit shoes I have tried they are too narrow at some part of the shoe.

However I would consider 510’s to be a pretty narrow shoe if that is your comparison.

mtbfix

Lake, as stated above. Various width options across the range. Richard at Salt Dog is well worth contacting if you don’t have a retailer nearby. I’ve also found Scott’s range of shoes to be as wide as my quite wide feet require.

walowiz

Thanks, will try lake

Re the 510s, I go up a whole size to get a good-ish fit, not ideal but I’ve struggled to get mtb wide fit shoes over the years.

bigG
    Free Member

Sidi do their “mega” range which fit my gorilla width feet really well.

benos

Lake MX242 work with silly wide feet but cost a lot. I tried the MX238 too but they weren’t wide enough.

I’d love to try the Bont Vapor G in double-wide fitting, but not for £400.95+ shipping and no possibility to return if they don’t fit.

walowiz

@bigG “Sidi do their “mega” range which fit my gorilla width feet really well.”

I’d forgotten about sidi, probably because their bike shoes cost a bloody fortune! Used to always use their motorbike boots, which were always for me at least a really good fit and super comfortable.

Very quick google and the lakes aren’t exactly budget options either.

ernielynch

I found my DMT wide fitting road shoes very comfy, like wearing slippers in fact. But that could be because the man-made fabric just keeps yielding and stretching!

MoreCashThanDash

Lake do wide fit and normal fit, they aren’t wide by default.

ransos
    Free Member

Another vote for Lake, noting that the lasts vary across the range so widths vary between models.

bfw

Sidi Mega are their wide fitting shoe, amazing shoes most last 20 years plus.

alanl
    Free Member

“@bigG “Sidi do their “mega” range which fit my gorilla width feet really well.”
    I’d forgotten about sidi, probably because their bike shoes cost a bloody fortune! Used to always use their motorbike boots, which were always for me at least a really good fit and super comfortable.”

Yes, I always say it, Sidi Mega are the widest fit out there. I’ve had a pair of off road Dominator Megas for over 20 years now, I was cleaning them today, and thinking its not going to be long before they are thrown away, the sole is worn out now, but, they still work, and the uppers still look good when cleaned. They’ve had new straps [1] a few years ago, and 3 insoles, so I’ve definitely had my moneys worth out of the £100 or so I paid in 2001. Moffat Outdoors had some cheap Megas in last October, I havent been in there since, but maybe worth giving him a ring. Wiggle/CRC still have some in at less than £100 too.
    [What other cycle shoe seller has spare parts for 20 yo shoes?]

gray

Sidi Mega always used to be high volume, but not actually a wider last at all. So there was space to bulge out sideways over the sole, but depending on the shape of the foot, that might or might not be adequate. Plenty of people really get on with them though.

oceanskipper

Head over to Salt Dog Cycling for comprehensive Lake size charts including widths. Then ring them up and speak to the extremely helpful and knowledgeable Richard who will have you in the right size to save you ordering multiple pairs. I now have 3 pairs of Lakes, they’re fabulous. MX238 wide for me for gravel/road duties.  Total comfort and where there was foot pain on longer rides there is now none! 👍😎

walowiz

@oceanskipper thanks will do.

Given the lakes are quite pricy & cost 3-4x as much as I normally spend on mtb flats, do lake shoes last ?

@alanl
    or indeed anyone with exp of sidi cycling shoes, is it only the “mega” that are wide fit ?
    And maybe my google-fu is off today, but can’t find any Mega’s that are circa £100

gray

Yes: in Sidi-speak, Mega means wide. So no mega means not wide.

MoreCashThanDash

Head over to Salt Dog Cycling for comprehensive Lake size charts including widths. Then ring them up and speak to the extremely helpful and knowledgeable Richard who will have you in the right size

I have a feeling I read something very similar on the Ilkeston CC group a few weeks ago….

oceanskipper

Given the lakes are quite pricy & cost 3-4x as much as I normally spend on mtb flats, do lake shoes last ?

Funnily enough I was comparing Lakes with a riding buddy today as he was also wearing a pair – his were 10 years old. I was in a pair of MXZ200s (which I bought to use with flats but have since cut out the SPD panel so I use them clipless) anyway, mine are 3 years old and still look like new (apart from some minor damage to the soles from the pins on my flat pedals 🙄) . I do keep them clean and moisturised with a leather care kit..

alanl
    Free Member

£113 at the link below. From a quick google, there are quite a few available at £150, which is still cheap. They are over £200 rrp. I’ve had mine 23 years now, and they are only being replaced as the sole has worn nearly flat, I paid around £100 in 2001, which was an awful lot for a pair of shoes then, but they are such good quality, they are worth it. I do have some Lake MX175 shoes from Richard at Salt Dog, he recommended a wide fit pair, I usually have 43 or 44, so went for the 44, but they were nowhere near as wide as the Sidis, I sent them back and replaced with a 45, which are fine, if a bit long, I only use them for road use, so they should last forever, again, iirc, they were around £130 5 years ago, so not at all cheap, but over their life, what, £8-10 a year.
    https://www.deporvillage.net/sidi-alba-2-road-shoes-mega-black

gray

One pretty annoying thing about Lake is that their ‘wide’ is quite different for different models. They use various lasts – the info is all there if you look, but some models of ‘wide’ are much less wide than others. So, definitely worth measuring and looking at their tables of width for specific lasts and figuring out which applies to the model that you’re looking at. I have some CX238 road shoes which are great, but my winter shoes are a size bigger and still quite pinchy.

walowiz

“One pretty annoying thing about Lake is that their ‘wide’ is quite different for different models.”

that sounds super helpful for when ordering online.

do like the look of the lake MX238 gravel shoes.

and think I’m going to go for a pair of the sidi megas, I do have a bit of soft spot for Sidi’s.

gray

I think except in rare circumstances, the reality is that you can never be sure until you try them on. So that means a strong likelihood of back and forth if buying online, or a trip somewhere in person. Richard at RMX custom actually came to my house a couple of years back because he was kinda passing, so that I could try a bunch of models and sizes out! That’s not exactly a common level of service though!

walowiz

Richard at RMX custom actually came to my house a couple of years back because he was kinda passing, so that I could try a bunch of models and sizes out! That’s not exactly a common level of service though!

That’s pretty impressive customer service.
    agree trying them on would be best, I’m a little wary of doing this in case I end up really liking a £300 pair of bike shoes!

FuzzyWuzzy

Fizik do wide fit in some models and it works for me (as does Bont)

MoreCashThanDash

agree trying them on would be best, I’m a little wary of doing this in case I end up really liking a £300 pair of bike shoes!

When the guy says “The next model up uses kangaroo leather” it’s probably time to just buy the last one you tried!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“Given the lakes are quite pricy & cost 3-4x as much as I normally spend on mtb flats, do lake shoes last ?”
    Yes! My Lake winter boots are at least 12 years old with no sign of wearing out, and my summer shoes are a mere 5 years old.
    Lake vs Sidi? Sidi are as slippery as **** when off the bike. Otherwise theres not a lot in it.

scotabroad

I need wide shoes and Shimano do pretty decent wide fitting options and have wider budget range than most others

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.