Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wide Bars on Turner DW 5 Spot
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have Raceface bars 680mm, and I am looking to put wider bars in as the feel a bit short and often find myself resting my palms on the grip ends in climbs but also feel I would have more control on techie sections on the downs, so was wondering what width bars other DW 5 Spot have. I’m thinking min 745 max 780.

Superficial
    Free Member

I wonder if we can answer this without starting a wide bars argument.

Basically, wider will give you a bit more control, possibly at the expense of climbing ability, and it’ll stop you fitting through gaps in trees easily. Most people find more than about 780mm feels stupid, but there are people who feel anything wider than 720 is unpleasant. Best option is to buy some wide bars (780mm ish) and some lock-on grips that you can slide up and down the bar. If you’re average sort of height, start with the grips at full width and ride for an hour or so at least, see how it feels, then move them inboard 5mm at a time until you’re comfortable. Once you’re certain, lop the ends of the bar off.

My opinion is that it doesn’t really matter what type of bike the bars are for (it’s more about your physique), although for an XC race bike I’d probably use slightly narrower bars than a trail/DH bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superficial hits the nail thoroughly on the head.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This is STW!

We can’t have rational, well constructed advice from the off.

There are standards to maintain you know!

MrSmith
    Free Member

general consensus is wide bars work best on a horst link 5-spot.

Vortexracing

I use Race Face sixc on mine at 720mm wide. seems spot on to me

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ve been using 711mm bars for the past 3 years on my DW Spot.

I swap it out to 745mm for uplift days and Morzine.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Good post Superficial, it’s the only way to do it.

Bar width threads usually end up like a night at the bingo – random numbers called out with no context. Fit is personal and there are loads of other factors to consider to get a good fit:
    Top tube length and frame reach
    Stem Length
    Riding Style
    Height
    Ape Index (arm span compared to height)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Superficial you have just resolved what width I should buy, I like your wisdom, I made a mistake of getting 635 wide bars when U got the bike then went wider to 680 which improved control, at 5’11 and a bit I reckon something around 745 may be the optimum width, so starting at 780 makes sense.

Now what rise should I go for 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Heard they work best on TNT 5 Spots.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Well I popped into Tweeks and purchased some 780 Renthals with 20 sweep, so I popped them on and they feel and look awesome, taking a day off on Friday to try them out on the trails.Thanks for all the input folks! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wide Bars on Turner DW 5 Spot’ is closed to new replies.