Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)
  • Whyte T130 show and tell
  • bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I think these great bikes deserve their own thread…

Here’s mine:

It absolutely loves navigating down anything steep and techy in the woods with bags of confidence, and can work it’s way back to the top without too much fuss either. It started life as a cRS but now has a set of 150mm 36’s and a CCDB inline rear shock (warning: needs some mods to fit!). I actually prefer it with a Monarch Plus in ML3 tune, but that is still broken from Tweedlove. I’ve also fitted some XM481 rims which seem a great match for the bike’s capabilities.

What have you done with yours?

weeksy

‘Done’ very little to be honest. I’ve fitted a Magura Veyron dropper instead of the standard item, but apart from that, mine is as it came out of Winstanleys box. I’ve ridden it lots though 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W1eeaE]IMG_20161014_120701_zpsqxbqxdal[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I see you push the saddle all the way forward too. I wonder if they should have made the seat angle a little steeper…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

Not sure if that’s still the case, that was on purchase day i think.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VmYhsg]IMG_20170313_142820_zpsqussrz1s[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

That’s more where it is currently

dumbbot
    Free Member

Rapid Rob tire on the front?…wtf.

weeksy

XC mode, 2 sets of wheels, 1 for XC Racing/Ridgeway, the other set are running WTB Trail Boss’s.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Any more T130 owners about?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

All I’ve changed on mine is the tyres, and bars/stem/ grips etc..
    Love mine.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Picked up an RS at the beginning of the summer, great bike, an absolute hoot to ride.
    I’ve gone down steeper, gnarlier trails than ever before and it rides back to the top again no problem.
    Haven’t changed anything from original spec apart from the grips…although the birthday bunny has just been and left me with a handful of notes that might get exchanged for a nice set of carbon Renthal bars.
    I’ve also got a set of 200/180 icetech rotors that might find their way on to it. Being a slightly heavier fella I find the 180/160 can be lacking at times.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

All I’ve changed on mine is the tyres, and bars/stem/ grips etc..

The only things original on mine (other than the frame) is the reverb (which has started to sag a bit) the saddle (which has started to split on one side) and the bars/stem (I have been eyeing up carbon replacements but can’t decide which yet!)

jimmy748

CheesybeanZ

MrsbeanZ has a small RS , we’ve changed the bars saddle , wheels and tyres . Just had the shock replaced under warranty . Its by far the best bike shes owned – and theres been a few … 😮

postierich
    Free Member

Owned for nearly 3 years and its had a battering around the Lakes and had a few bike packing trips great bike
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QizPBw]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/s2mQg4]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rmKVP1]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

jakeg1
    Free Member

so i have a ’17 t130s, so far i have upgraded cranks to dmr axe and bars to dmr wingbar with dmr deathgrips (orange). on order and awaiting delivery i have stans flow mk3 with orange decals on blue pro4 hubs, full sram gx eagle (minus cranks)and a cane creek db inline coil. other than that i have changed the tyres to vee flow rumbas in the gravity core and tackee compound which are beasts but wear quick! im expecting the bike to be finished in about a month by the time the wheels are build and all the other bits have arrived etc! should be a beast 😀

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’d be very interested to see if the DB inline coil fits, tried quite a few shocks on mine, Float X and X2 doesn’t fit, even my CCDB inline air needed to say hello to the bench grinder (luckily just the replaceable retaining ring)

lawman91

Had my 2017 T130C RS since August last year and it still continues to amaze me! Its happy just spinning along as I did on a recent coast to coast to coast charity ride but also more than able to blast around for a couple of hours and even raced an Enduro on where it felt like it gave away little to longer travel bikes, only the rider was holding it back really! I’ve changed the wheels, rotors & tyres, bar & stem, saddle, grips and fitted a 1x remote to the reverb but now it’s pretty settled and I’ll likely leave it as it is for a while. Incredible bike, I loved my old Mojo HD but never fully got on with the Mondraker that replaced it, but I think I’ve finally found the Mojo’s true replacement, I can see me keeping this for a long time!

wooderson

Great bikes and interesting to see how the 2018 lineup has evolved with so many variations to the models. I don’t think I’d bother with an RS in current spec, as the CRS or more basic S look much more appealing and better value.

In terms of tweaks, I’ve tried to balance lopping a few pounds off and making it a bit more capable on trickier terrain. She’s just below 30lbs in present trim.

– 140mm airshaft + 2 tokens
    – Chromag Carbon bars
    – Absolute Black 32T oval chainring
    – Specialized roadie saddle
    – Oneup chainguide
    – Nukeproof organic pads
    – Tubeless with Stans kit
    – Magic Mary/Rock Razor or reluctantly a Hans D in the winter
    – Ergon GE1 grips
    – Suspension set up with a Shockwiz (Shock needs a service + a band or 2)
    – De-stickered Roam wheels!

Such a great bike for my local riding in the Surrey Hills. Bring on the Welsh trail centres this autumn

morphio
    Free Member

At the top of Gap Road, Brecon Beacons last autumn

T-130 C RS, mostly stock other than grips and tyres.

Love it, much better bike than I’m a rider, and perfect for everything I do in the UK.
    Wondering about getting something bigger as well instead of renting when I go to Morzine though.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Morphio – snap! I did the Brecon Gap on mine in Feb (couldn’t resist going up the windy stone path on the right of your picture for an extra bash down!)

thecrookofdevon

Stop showing all these pics as I want one and this is not helping!
    This will get me into trouble at home!

morphio
    Free Member

Do it, definitely worth the trouble!

Bacon, how did the forks/shock change the handling of the bike?

Creg

Currently looking at getting back into off road riding after a few years of road riding and I’m tempted by one of these, just not sure if I have the skills to get the best out of one (also have the Scott Genius Plus and something from Sonder on my short list too).

wooderson

I think it’s a bike for all abilities – so don’t be put off thinking it has to thrashed on the limit to be appreciated or even to ‘work’ properly. After all its really just a well considered trail bike with a great spec and geometry that conducive to hooning about on!

I spent last year getting fully back into mountain biking and the T130 helped me/kept me interest to not only get back to decent level of trail fitness, but also has me tackling bigger and bigger jumps, drops – hell, even a DH race!

Here’s me well within the bike’s comfort zone on the Northern Monkey Jump line…

[/url]NM by phillip taylor, on Flickr[/img]

lawman91

Forgot to add pics of my T130 earlier, have fitted Chromag bars like Wooderson, can thoroughly recommend them! The reverb remote is also a massive improvement on the old plunger design.

mjsmke

I would post a pic of mine but I can’t seem to get it to work any more. Tried using a link to my Dropbox public folder but that no longer works.

jonk
    Free Member

My wife has an SX great bike!

[/url]IMG_4308 by jon kemp, on Flickr[/img]

Creg

I think it’s a bike for all abilities – so don’t be put off thinking it has to thrashed on the limit to be appreciated or even to ‘work’ properly. After all its really just a well considered trail bike with a great spec and geometry that conducive to hooning about on!

Thanks, think if I get one I’ll also be going on a skills course to help me out a bit as I’m very much a wheels on the ground rider at the moment with little confidence.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Bacon, how did the forks/shock change the handling of the bike?

The 36s are shorter axle to crown than pikes so no real geometry difference from the 140mm Pikes I ran before (put them to 140 the day I got the bike so never actually ridden it at 130). You just get the usual 36 benefits of stiffness and ability at ploughing through high speed chop.

On the rear my favourite shock is probably the Monarch Plus with an ML3 tune kit fitted. It felt great but in true monarch fashion was toast after a weekend at the tweedlove international. The CCDB inline is good but not as supple, however I haven’t really spent the required hours of back to back runs setting it up, and it was second hand so a service would probably do wonders. I wouldn’t recommend the ccdb due to the fit issue though.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

just not sure if I have the skills to get the best out of one

They are pretty easy to ride, the only place I had to adjust was on the very steep chutes with corners (Golfie, Wrekin etc) I kept washing the front out. The long front centre and short chain stays require you to really get over the front when it is steep in order to weight the tyre, much more so than other bikes I have owned.

It isn’t a bad thing at all, just a skill to learn, and only really stands out on the steep stuff, but useful everywhere to get the most grip and balance out of the bike.

Mintman
    Free Member

Here’s another one. It’s a stock T130s from 2017 although now its got blue plastic pedals. Like everyone else here I think it’s an awesome bike and far better than the Pace 405 that it replaced (and I thought that was a good bike) – it even made me want to go riding in the cold.

tomaso
    Free Member

Mine is all good. May regret changing it as it is a very natural feeling bike.

Rich there is something weird going on with your front chainring

Creg

Thanks for the info folks, will do some looking and check my finances too.

thule916
    Free Member

Always fancied one of these but with young kids couldn’t stretch to one initially. A pink 2016 sx came up for a bargain and couldn’t resist it.

I have been really impressed by it, can only imagine how good the crs is. I have swapped the stem and seat post to improve sizing (it’s a large but felt a bit small for me at first being 6’2) and now feels spot on. The usual grips, saddle and tyres have been changed. Was going to change the aion forks at some point too but to be honest they are still better than I am and handle trail centers fine.

If you can put up with riding a girl’s bike, it’s never bothered me and actually really like the colour, you can get them for a steal.

morphio
    Free Member

The 36s are shorter axle to crown than pikes so no real geometry difference from the 140mm Pikes I ran before (put them to 140 the day I got the bike so never actually ridden it at 130). You just get the usual 36 benefits of stiffness and ability at ploughing through high speed chop.

On the rear my favourite shock is probably the Monarch Plus with an ML3 tune kit fitted. It felt great but in true monarch fashion was toast after a weekend at the tweedlove international.

Interesting, I assume it still feels fairly playful on the smaller trails (most of my riding is Swinley and Surrey Hills)?
    I’d be happy to take it to BPW next time I go, but think it’s probably a bit under biked for Morzine/Les Gets. Would you take yours there with the changes?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I took my T130 to BPW in standard guise (140 Pikes and Monarch RT3) and didn’t find it much fun, very choppy, lots of arm pump (I also took my Yeti SB66c with 36s and Fox X2 which handled the hardpack bikepark stuff way better). But then I have friends who like Pikes on that kind of terrain. Morzine would be pretty similar to BPW I think.

I would like to see if the 36s on the T130 have made it mode BPW friendly (I suspect they have), but haven’t been back since (to be honest I prefer riding natural trails in the woods more anyway, which also don’t pummel you as much).

At the end of the day the geometry is great, and forks ride the same whatever bike they are on – if you like Pikes then yo’ll be fine. I prefer 36s so switched to them. The rear end is great with the Monarch Plus ML3, the standard RT3 is fine too.

blacknose
    Free Member

I’ve replaced the terrible Sram Roam 40s with DT XM481s on Hope Pro 4s, stuck a longer dropper in, replaced the bar and stem with Renthal, fitted Eagle, replaced the shock with a Monarch+ and obviously fitted the contact points I like. I’ve also swapped the back tyre to a Maxxis Aggressor since this picture was taken.

The wheels and the shock have probably made the biggest differences to how the bike performs, with everything else being more of a rider convenience thing. I’ve been tempted to try the fork at 140mm but I really don’t want to slacken the seat angle any further than it already is. As the bike currently sits it can happily handle anything from trail centres to stuff like Robin Run up Wylie or the masts at Afan. I’ve taken the bike clean past it’s limits and have a pretty good understanding of what we can get away with together, it’s a very capable bike and absolutely runs out of travel before it runs out of geometry which is quite comforting.

jakeg1
    Free Member

Also forgot to mention that I have fitted an mrp ramp control cartridgeto my 2017 yari which has transformed the fork into a far more versatile beast. Nice and supple on lesser more natural trails but ramp it up and it’s a savage on the bigger hitting rougher trails

pdV6
    Free Member

2015 T-130s, standard apart from:
    [list][*]140mm Pike
    [*]Replaced the rear wheel after I broke it
    [*]Warranty replacement Reverb
    [/list]

stevextc
    Free Member

Following with interest

On the rear my favourite shock is probably the Monarch Plus with an ML3 tune kit fitted. It felt great but in true monarch fashion was toast after a weekend at the tweedlove international. The CCDB inline is good but not as supple, however I haven’t really spent the required hours of back to back runs setting it up, and it was second hand so a service would probably do wonders. I wouldn’t recommend the ccdb due to the fit issue though.

As I’ve got the standard 2015 T-130 (albeit with Shimano 1×11 and brakes that had more to do with changing cranks from the 175’s it came with) I’ve been pondering the suspension as I’ve got the basic Revelation 130’s…. and the Monarch out back.

Riding Locally it’s not over-biked but I’d thought of 140mm/36 forks on the front anyway … and had considered a Pike 140 … bit not sure of I’d prefer the Fox 36’s… given my only Fox experience is good but on my 100mm Factories on my XC bike ….

I had wondered if I should change bike .. and hence forks/shocks and of that might be more economical… but I’m very happy with the T-130 …. so not sure what I’d even want to change to … I just feel like a bit more travel might be nice on infrequent uplift days…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Bought the 2017 model based on the reviews of the 2016 model. Upgrades from stock so far:

Tyres: Schwalbe F & R
    Bar/Stem: Easton Havoc DH Carbon 35/ Renthal Apex 33mm
    Grips: Santa Cruz Palmdale ‘Glow in the Dark’
    Crank Bumpers: Raceface
    Also added the little front mudguard.

Next on the hitlist is seat to a ‘Fabric’ Radius, followed by getting rid of the crap rear shock to a Monarch Plus and the Fork (which I actually like) to a 150mm Pike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 show and tell’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts