Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whyte T129 2014 fork upgrade
  • elliottest
    Free Member

Hi Guys,Ive got a T129 2014, Fox 32 120’s on front. Thinking of upgrading to the 2016, Fox 34 Float 140 Fit 4 . Will this effect geometry too much for the frame handling wise ? At the moment its 68deg with 120 fox. I think the 34 sanction will help with stiffness/ extra boing upfront. Anyone done this- who thinks its ok., before i go chucking money at it. cheers Pete

failedengineer

I’m thinking of doing the same thing, but with Pikes. I thought I might be able go to 130mm without affecting the handling.

Wally

I am moving a M109 to 120mm tonight.

elliottest
    Free Member

One of the guys has put Pike 150 on and says its great ??, i dunno, i might mail Whyte, but 120 is struggling on this frame, imho.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

140 Rev in mine feels awsome . Climbs feel no different the downs are now a bigger blast.

mboy
    Free Member

20mm is going to slacken it about 1 degree, and raise the BB about 7mm. The BB is pretty low on a T-129 anyway so that’s not too much of an issue, and the head angle isn’t mega slack anyway, so it should handle fine.

The issue will be come warranty time if anything has happened to it, but then if that doesn’t bother you, then go ahead it’ll probably be fine. Bit wandery on the climbs though maybe.

elliottest
    Free Member

Cheers mboy, when you look a nukeproof mega 29er for 2016 wuth 66deg it dont seem too bad at possible 67. The trend seems to be for slack 29ers

elliottest
    Free Member

Cheers for reply guys, ibis have also redesigned /slackened their 29er Ripley frame 2016,gone from 69 deg to 67.5,due to more agressive use demand.I think im going to trade the 120″s to put towards the 140. The Whyte is well built with beefed up headtube so should be fine,.ill let you know outcome…

br
    Free Member

You could put on a longer Pike/34 along with an angle headset.

mike399
    Free Member

Ive got 140 fox 34s on mine – but i built it up from a frame so cant compare with stock 120. I think at really low speed climbs it does feel slightly wandery and on the very steep climbs lifts the front wheel a bit, but… once over about 5mph it more than makes up for it! Decends fantastically well and feels very stable and planted.

mboy
    Free Member

The T-129 I had was the 2015 Works SCR model, with Pikes. If I’d have kept it longer I was going to up the travel from 120 to 130 or 140 on the front as it felt like it could have done with a tiny bit more compared to the ultra plush back end.

Had only got it as a stop gap bike whilst I waited for my Evil Following though, itself fitted with 140mm travel forks now (though crucially it is warranted for it, the Whyte isn’t) and with a 2.5″ front tyre produces a HA below 66 degrees! Downsides? I need to run the stem slammed, and the seat right forward on the saddle rails to stop it getting wandery on the climbs, but that’s about it… Upsides are that it descends like a demon and makes me feel like an absolute hero! 😆

Tips
    Free Member

@Wally – I’d be interested to hear how the M109 fels with the 120mm fork on it.

I recently fitted an angleset to my 109 which was a nice improvement but at some point I’d be tempted to try a 120mm fork too.

Thanks

Wally

Being fitted now, “look mum no hands, look mum no teeth” report later.

Tips
    Free Member

And is the report favourable?

Wally

Too short a ride to give an opinion, proper one this week. Will report back then.

Tips
    Free Member

Cool, thank you.

Wally

One night ride later and it’s a keeper.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T129 2014 fork upgrade’ is closed to new replies.