Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Why oh why do they try to race you?
  • aa
    Free Member

Is it just me who gets the fuktards trying to race me on the way home?

Yes I’m wearing lycra. But, i’ve done 15 miles off road mate, you’re just doing 2 miles from the industrial estate to your house. PLUS. well done for staying ahead of me for 100 metres, but what happened when the rose went up…../

Does anyone get this or am I just a beacon for the saddos?

ojom
    Free Member

you need to get a more ‘don’t give a shit’ look about you.

in the words of a wise man… ‘it’s only a race of someone told you’.

it’s just getting to work/home.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I kept up with two fully lycra’d up roadies from Westminster to Tower Bridge yesterday, on me shonky SS hybrid with a rack on, flat pedals and sandals! 😀

They looked well pissed off that they’d not been able to lose me. Ride faster then! Carbon bikes too!

Stu_N

A man on a bike MUST race another man on a bike whatever the circumstances.

FACT #1

If you look like you’re losing you must pretend not to be racing.

FACT #2

TheSwede
    Free Member

The rose went up where? His arse? He’s good if he can whip you with a thorny rose up his arse.
    I’ll get my coat.

aa
    Free Member

i try and give a withering look as i re-overtake.

it makes me chuckle and annoys me in equal measusres.

locomotive

Its only a race if you’re competing. If you are tootling home and they overtake then surely they are just faster moving traffic?

Its all perception.

allthepies
    Free Member

You let some pie-tard overtake you ?

aa
    Free Member

[/quote] loco motive – Member

Its only a race if you’re competing. If you are tootling home and they overtake then surely they are just faster moving traffic?

Its all perception.

we all know they’re racing you, until you re overtake.

i’m built for distance…..

Waderider
    Free Member

Yes I’m wearing lycra. But, i’ve done 15 miles off road mate

Are you insinuating that you’re spent after 15 miles? You need to get out on your bike more.

aa
    Free Member

Waderider – Member

Yes I’m wearing lycra. But, i’ve done 15 miles off road mate

Are you insinuating that you’re spent after 15 miles? You need to get out on your bike more.

nah, i’m just having some “me time” on the way home

locomotive

You are obviously not very good at ‘me time’ if you get upset by someone overtaking.

Someone wants to go past. Maybe they are late for something. Who gives a ****?

aa
    Free Member

but they overtake then blow.

read the opening post, they overtake, stay there for 100 metres then blow. And get overtaken again.

Why?

radoggair
    Free Member

maybe there not travelling just ‘2 miles’ but actually are on a 50 mile pootle .

Face the facts, your too slow. Being overtaken is a sign of weakness.

Waderider
    Free Member

I have to agree with the OP being bothered – I don’t mind being passed by a roadie when I’m on the MTB between trails, but I LOVE it when someone is busting a gut to pass. Mainly because I’m usually cruising, and 99 time out of 100 I have enough in the tank to annihilate.

I love it when some bod tries to race. It’s good for the ego………most of the time.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

If you can – Dish the pain. If you can’t – STFU.

juiced
    Free Member

i had a commuter tonight say he was too tired to go fast, and i agreed i was too. so will took it in turns to drop back at a snails pace. kind of the inverse of a race.

aa
    Free Member

i ride at my speed, there are obviously faster people out there than me. BUT, there is a certain type of person who wants to race the guy in “all the gear” 999 times out of a thousand. no, one thousand times out of a thousand, they cannot do it over any distance.

So. WHY?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I find cruising past someone who is riding a full carbon road bling machine in full team repro Lycra whilst I’m on my brompton with office clothes, really annoys them!

Northwind

I don’t race other cyclists, it’s always pointless. But mopeds, they’re fair game :mrgreen:

wors

At least they are out on bikes. Give over moaning.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Makes me laugh. If I wanted a race I’d race against folk who take it seriously, train a bit etc, not against some guy on his way to work.

Idiots.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i was holding off a bus for at least 10 mins this morning

allthepies
    Free Member

Overtaking roadies whilst riding a Boris Bike is always good fun 🙂

nickc

It’s not a race

First I have to paste up the rules, now this? C’mon guys.

phiiiiil

I always get kids on BMXes or supermarket specials trying to race me; I love it when they give up and you can shout back at them “YOU SNOOZE… YOU LOSE!”

ahwiles
    Free Member

the local bmx kids here spend most of their lives at the track, they’re invincible!

bobster
    Free Member

Either ignore it, or let a gap open, big gap, no I mean a really BIG gap, then close em down, hard – good training 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was raced the other night….

…by a bloke riding an Apollo full suss approx 13″ size. The Apollo was wearing a 20″ rear wheel, a 26″ front and comedy wide bars – wider even than the 760 Nukeproofs on the Marin I was riding at the time.

He deserves some sort of medal IMHO.

ajf
    Free Member

If anyone tries to race me I let them overtake then just hang in their wheel and take a draft home.

No need to get narked just let them do all the work and take smug satisfaction that they are giving you a lift home. Oh and no I don’t care that I am drafting until at least two miles then I feel a tad guilty and offer the front (but won’t take it automatically)

Remember it takes two to race and if you were in a car you would be a boy racer (ie a n0b)

devs
    Free Member

I dress like a racer but I’m not bothered about racing. It bothers me that people think that I’m a racer and it would bother them if they lost to me so they do their best against me. This bothers me because obviously I’m not bothered. In fact I’m so not bothered I stress about it all the way home and then vent my spleen on an online forum but have to assert that I’m not at all bothered. If people thought that I was bothered that would bother me and that just wouldn’t do. I love biking, it keeps me out of bother. 🙂

rootes1

Take it you have not taken part in the occasional ‘Tour de Richmond Park’
    mamil’s (middle aged men in lycra) are everywhere… in little peloton’s…..

taxi25
    Free Member

Whoa!!! I can’t even imagine why this is a problem. I always race other cyclists. If their in front I want them behind me, end of. If someone comes past me its game on but I get dropped all the time, the world is full of people faster than a 50yr old cabbie, but I don’t care. Honestly to save my life, I can’t see why the OP is botherd about all of this.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I quite often have a sneaky race with a lycra clad roadie on the way home. **** knows who he is but it’s becoming a regular occurrence. Dont think he liked it when I overtook him on my fat tired inbred wearing baggies and my shirt and tie the other week and then started bunny hopping the draincovers to rub the salt in.

( to be fair the skinny wheeled swine usually drops me though)

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well, i’m totally not fussed if someone wants to race me. let them go i say!
    but i had a funny one last night – cycling home on my commuting/mtb/oddsnsods kona and wearing jeans and get to a traffic light crossing – i trackstand waiting for the lights (as i always do) and a be-lycrad roading pulls up in the opposite direction, starts trackstanding also and looking intently at me as if to say: “yeah, i can do it too, look at me, i’m great, i’m staring you out and you WILL dab”. i didn’t of course, but it was enough to make me chuckle all the way home 🙂

bobbyspangles

i have started stopping at lights to be a good cyclist, so i got rinsed yesterday while riding through Oxford. gah! some chump ,who i had passed a while back after a titanic battle (in my mind, of course) whizzed past my right ear at a red light.

is’nt passing another rider the same on or off trail?

iamtheresurrection

I was out on my road bike last night having a nice steady recovery ride after a really hard local club 50 TT on Thursday.

I’m pootling along at 18mph when I see a mountain biker up ahead. He’s doing about 15mph but I just know if I pass him the **** is going to think I’m racing him. I go past regardless and sure enough he gets the hump and picks the pace up. Genius.

I think about picking the pace up but I’m sticking to a recovery ride as I know I’ve got Saturday’s hilly century coming up.

He’s probably on a mountain bike forum now pissed off that I went passed him and how he owned me… What does he want me to do, not overtake?

psychle
    Free Member

Overtaking roadies whilst riding a Boris Bike is always good fun

Bah, I don’t believe you on this one… those Boris Bikes are slower than a slow thing… unless the roadie was sitting still? 🙄

What gets my goat is stopping at a red light in London, all the noob cyclists just pootle through the intersection, weaving through pedestrians half the time, just to get an extra 100m up the road before you catch up and pass them once the light changes… and repeat ad infinitum… no wonder car drivers hate cyclists in London!

psling
    Free Member

I stopped for a pint (Butty Bach) at the Saracens Head on the way home last night. There was another cyclist at the pub. We had a little chat, then he left before me. I didn’t even think to race him down, I was enjoying my pint… 8)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Is it just me who gets the fuktards trying to race me on the way home?

Yes I’m wearing lycra. But, i’ve done 15 miles off road mate, you’re just doing 2 miles from the industrial estate to your house. PLUS. well done for staying ahead of me for 100 metres, but what happened when the rose went up…../

Does anyone get this or am I just a beacon for the saddos?

You’re only on here moaning because you got beat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Why oh why do they try to race you?’ is closed to new replies.