Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Why go for a 40T cog rather than 42T?
  • D0NK

and I’m quite a normal, regular kind of rider

hmm, is dubious

maybe if I lived somewhere hillier than the Peak

this is an interesting point, I reckon most reasonably fit riders could get away with something around a 32×11-36* setup on their local trails, I bet if you lived in one of the few places hillier than the peak you’d adjust within a month or two.

WRT 650b v 1×10/11, the very slight increase in wheel size seems to be all about flogging more frame forks and wheels for very little benefit (negligibly more rollability**) whereas 11-42 offers almost the full range of my current 2×9 bit with less weight and not having to do the quite slow front shifts. The cost of cassette plus a oneup will sting but is probably worth it. Haven’t actually put my money where my mouth is yet, might wait for shimano 11spd but if it’s xtr the cost will be similar to SRAM anyway.

*tho some would want more top end speed.
    **the trails I ride don’t need any CPR at the moment thanks

cruzer
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but where are people finding the 16t cog? I tempted to put a 40/42T cog on the back but dont like the idea of the 15-19t jump.

I’ve had a look on google and cant seem to find anything :/

proutster
    Free Member

Got mine here Clicky but it looks like they’re now out of stock.

singlespeedstu

Would this one work?
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-deore-xt-cs-m760-sprocket-16t-(aq-group)-1za-1644-prod15834/
    I know it’s off a 9 speed cassette but if you used the 10 speed spacers would it not be close enough?

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

First run out with my hope T Rex and to be honest didn’t need it, so unless you are doing some serious climbs it may not be worth it!

One thing to note running on my 1×10 setup with a 32 up front when I gave the 40t a go the front end wanted to pop up far to easily

Northwind

SRAM are quite open that they’re effectively milking the top end for as long as they can, cheaper options are likely to follow

cruzer – Member

Slightly off topic, but where are people finding the 16t cog?

Germany! Though haven’t found one I like the p&p of yet.

welshfarmer

I live somewhere hillier than the Peaks (Wales) and the first time out with a 1×10 with the 42 tooth rear had me wishing to go back to a granny ring on some of the climbs. Jury is still out.

As far as shifting goes not a problem but I did snap my B screw on the first ride. I have since added a link to the chain and is now OK.

I notice that the 9 speed 12-36 cassette I have has a 16 tooth ring but the whole lot are riveted together. Will see if it is possible to salvage the gear without destroying it completely.

BoomBip
    Free Member

First run out with my hope T Rex and to be honest didn’t need it, so unless you are doing some serious climbs it may not be worth it!

That was in the back of my mind, as I got round my last 2 rides (Cannock and Penmachno) without dropping into the granny once and I’m hilariously unfit. That was with a 32T chainring and 11-36 cassette.

Neither of them have seriously hard climbs though and it’s the combination of handling genuinely long/steep climbs and something to bail into at the end of a long ride that’s drawing me to a big cog. Another driver is that losing the front shifter puts the Reverb lever in a much better position for my little hands.

Edging towards a Hope 40T on the basis of availability. If my ability falls short of expectation, I can always (a) push then (b) stick a 30T chainring on. I’m not proud 😀

Northwind

All the rides I’ve done so far, I felt I didn’t need it. Today I was out on my 2-ring bike and tbh I think my legs would have dropped off without the granny ring. It’s not about “living somewhere hilly” sometimes, it’s about riding up the same bloomin hill several times.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

The ride this afternoon was at Llandegla taking in the mast loop. The one place the 40t was of some use was on the heather terrace due to the mud.

Boombip

If you can cope with your current setup I would say stay as you are. Keep your eyes open on the for sale section could be a T Rex on soon 😉

Northwind

Other thing though is that these things don’t have to be about low gears- you can use them to raise the highest gears. That’s what I’m planning on one of mine, going up to a 36T front at the same time.

welshfarmer

Just for info. The 16 tooth gear from a 9 speed SRAM 12-36 cassette fits and works fine in place of the 15 tooth ring on a Shimano 11-36 cassette being used with a 42 ring. It was simple to remove (if a bit fiddly) and I reckon I could just as easily rebuild the SRAM cassette if needs be.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I split a couple of old cassettes to get the ratios I wanted across a 11-40 on a 9 speed setup, and made an adaptor to use an old chairing for the 40t.

anyone tried fitting the Hope on a 9 speed?

picture of it here http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10696427/

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why go for a 40T cog rather than 42T?’ is closed to new replies.