Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Why don't disabled drivers pay to park ?
  • jamj1974

It’s not as clear cut as it seems. At least two organisations who exist to promote the rights of disabled people had changed their stance on this – certainly in the last five years, to support charging for disabled spaces.

As I found out when one of my team was delivering a car park project. It was seen to reduce misuse of spaces and badges by those not entitled to use them.

Xylene
    Free Member

the real world.

?????

ski
    Free Member

Eden Project – we took our daughter there yesterday 😉

Was a good workout pushing her round and no we did not feel the need to use our BB.

rone

‘kin’ell… Does assisting those less fortunate than ourselves really need much explanation.

Schemes aren’t always perfect in their implementation but at least is shows a willing in the right direction.

Drac

I see a lot of use by (what appear to be) perfectly able bodied people in London.

A bit like my Dad who has one and my brother who doesn’t as he can’t be bothered with judgemental people who can assess people’s abilities by the way they appear.

jamj1974

I too have found using one easier – but have been abused for it. When collecting or delivering my mum for hospital stay or appointments, being able to use a disabled badge so I can assist her into or out of the building has made things a lot easier. She has progressive arthritis in her hips, knees, back and shoulders – and getting in and out of a car is hard – let alone a long walk.

fin25
    Free Member

I see a lot of use by (what appear to be) perfectly able bodied people in London.

If one of the Autistic people I support in the community were to have a meltdown, being able to get back to the car quickly can be the difference between a minor incident and a trip to A+E.

But yeah, it is very rude of them to have a disability that you can’t see. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

I see unfitgeezer’s hot topic tomobala is still going strong.

fin25
    Free Member

unfitgeezer’s hot topic tomobala

I preferred their early stuff.

anagallis_arvensis

Please don’t make me out to be the ****on this thread it’s a plain simple question meant without malice.

Then you are much more stupid than you initially seem.

Stoner, thanks for your insight, you just seem like a stuck up to me but I suppose in your mind you have a point. Not sure what it is though. Maybe that the dusabled shouldnt have a bit of extra help to live their life as fully as possible I’m not sure though. Care to elaborate or tell us about all the times blue badge holders have caused you problems with their parking because I can litterally think of no cases where it has caused me a problem or made me think others have been put at risk.

dazh

This thread is a new low. My advice to the people with brains is to leave the idiots to it.

fin25
    Free Member

I’ll say it a third time…

An increasing number of Local Authorities no longer allow parking on double yellows, those who do, do so with a number of restrictions. Also, disabled people increasingly pay for parking, this is also something which is decided either by the Local Authority or whoever owns the car park.
    Some disabled people don’t use wheelchairs, doesn’t make them less deserving of support.

Seriously, use google, all the facts are there, or do you just want to moan about things that annoy you, whether those things are real or just in your own imagination?

DrJ

But yeah, it is very rude of them to have a disability that you can’t see.

Maybe they could wear some sort of official hat to let others know that they are genuinely disabled?

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m split.
    As someone that can have a badge but choose not to, paying to park is no different to now.
    However the larger spaces, better location, etc is a massive plus.
    Should we get that for free?
    The badge gives access to that added convenience however it doesn’t mean it should necessarily be a free meal ticket either.
    Hospitals, etc shouldn’t be charged for anyone. I have no option when I need to attend yet QA can cost me anything up to £12-16 if it runs over. Usually £5-7.
    To attend an appointment to ensure I can continue to walk unaided. Live my life. Not visiting someone there, etc but the actual patient. But no. Robbing barstewards.
    Shopping centres, etc where everything is free – again, the badge gives you access to the extra convenience. Should that be free?
    Good question.
    I think the biggest question is should the price of parking be regulated full stop?
    As it stands it isn’t and the costs are outrageous in some places.

jon1973
    Free Member

I think I’m going to give this place (or at least the chat forum) a miss for a bit.

Nice one, it’s been a while since we had a good flounce.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wasnt the OP focusing on the payment aspect?

Jamie
    Free Member

I preferred their early stuff.

You didn’t. Trust me. It’s purely ironic.

metalheart
    Free Member

Wasnt the OP focusing on the payment aspect?

Yeah, and it came across as ‘why should someone get something for nothing and I can’t?’

For starters, if you’re disabled then it might not be possible to rock up to a central point and go all the places you need to go on foot, you might have to make multiple stops thus incurring multiple parking payments…. But, yeah, let’s penalise the disabled, it’s the conservative way after all, not deserving enough I guess.

fin25
    Free Member

You didn’t. Trust me. It’s purely ironic.

Like Alanis Morisette?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Like Alanis Morisette?

No, can’t stand her.

freeagent
    Free Member

I personally think the issue with the whole blue badge system is by default it has to be a ‘one size fits all’ system (as any other approach would be impossible to administer) however there will always be people on the edges who it doesn’t really fit.

The lad who sits opposite me at work has a blue badge – not for himself, but due to his wife and 2 kids being partially sighted.
    Now, I agree that having duff eyesight doesn’t affect your ability to walk a bit further to the shops – indeed his wife/kids are pretty fit.

His wife has a good job, and as a family they are pretty affluent, so paying for parking is not an issue.

However the one interesting point he brought up when we were discussing this before was safety – in as much as trying to cross car parks/busy roads with 3 partially sighted people can be a nightmare – so any opportunity to park closer and reduce this risk is very welcome.

I’m not sure how the system could be changed/improved without some people who use/need it being disadvantaged.
    However, I do think if people are caught using it illegally (certainly more than once) the blue badge should be taken away.

zanelad
    Free Member

I see more and more disabled parking areas where one has to pay now, but that were free previously.

I often drive a severely disabled friend around and he gets a bit miffed at having to pay. Mind you he’s probably the tightest tight wad I’ve ever come across.

I just point out that he’s just bought a brand new Brotherhood VW Sharan conversion outright and to put his hand in his pocket and cough up. He does have the good grace to look sheepish.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

metalheart – Member

But, yeah, let’s penalise the disabled, it’s the conservative way after all, not deserving enough I guess.

Have you got proof that Conservative councils charge disabled drivers whilst non-Conservative councils don’t?

Personally I am unconvinced that disabled drivers should be excluded from car park charges. It’s clear that many disabled drivers are no worse off financially than the average able-bodied person. Those who struggle financially could and should be receiving financial assistance to a level where they can afford parking charges.

gwaelod
    Free Member

There is a paucity of travel options in this country which means for many people the choice is car or stay at home. We really need to see much better access to towns,cities, schools, shopping centres for all so that those who want to and can use bikes, trikes, ebikes, handbikes, mobility scooters and wheelchairs as well as walking can do so. Of course, many people can’t, but many could .. if they were enabled by our streets to do so.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Why don’t disabled drivers pay to park ?

Natural justice, in my opinion. If you’ve been dealt a tricky hand you need all the help you can get. It would be great if there were designated spaces everywhere, but there aren’t and we’re all so obsessed with paying as little tax as possible that there is no way they will be built. So – blue badges and free parking it is. Can’t see a better option, and personally seems to me like a good fix to a real problem. Yes is gets abused, but the abuses don’t negate the real need and genuine benefit from those who use it properly.

Genuinely amazed that anyone would even question it, but I’m overloaded on the season of goodwill to all so probably out of touch.

irc

I think the biggest question is should the price of parking be regulated full stop?
    As it stands it isn’t and the costs are outrageous in some places.

Supply and demand. Too high and people won’t use it. If the cost is too high people will cycle, use public transport, or go elsewhere.

crankboy
    Free Member

The unrestricted parking for disabled is actually way cheaper and more efficient than specified bays.imagine the cost and land consumption in providing specified parking within easy reach of every single amenity and location a individual would wish to call at . Simpler safer and cheaper to let them park where they like within the current rules , which do in fact specify they must park safely and without causing an obstruction.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They pay in some places and not in others is my experience. As above getting to and operating a payment machine may not be possible / feasible. I know that some people (usually relations/husband/wife) abuse them a bit eg by parking in a bay when the badge holder is not in the vehicle but on the grander scheme of things to worry about this is way down the list.

bails

Maybe they could wear some sort of official hat to let others know that they are genuinely disabled?

Or perhaps some sort of badge? 😉

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Genuinely amazed that anyone would even question it, but I’m overloaded on the season of goodwill to all so probably out of touch.

A few people round here could use a visit from three ghosts

metalheart
    Free Member

Have you got proof that Conservative councils charge disabled drivers whilst non-Conservative councils don’t?

I take you are aware of what the conservative government has done with respect to the disabled in recent years, yeah? That.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I asked the question out of curiosity not why can’t I park for free as someone has accused me of.

bearnecessities

Now come on Mr Geezer. The fact I guessed it was your handiwork from the mobile version of the forum says something 🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Now come on Mr Geezer. The fact I guessed it was your handiwork from the mobile version of the forum says something

Explain? I’m lost on that one

ben00
    Free Member

Quite often people with disabilities have no other choice but to park in the middle of town/ right outside a shop. Where as able bodied people can walk / cycle without having to pay for fuel and parking. The allowance and motability car help but do not make up the extra cost of getting around if you want to have any sort of life or work.

Quite often pay meters are at the other end of the car park which can mean you need to walk further to pay than to get to shop you need to visit. Or if they are close they have a curb around them making them impossible for someone in a wheel chair to reach and more difficult / dangerous for someone with walking issues.
    Want to get a bus to work as it cheaper than fuel and paying to park? Unlucky if the bus stop is too far away from your house or where you work. Can only drive an automatic? They cost more to buy and are less fuel efficient so you pay more again. So not paying for parking is one small thing to assist someone who is already spending more than most people.

fin25
    Free Member

Imagine living in a world where train stations, pubs, shops, houses and even hospitals can be difficult, sometimes impossible to access.

When all things are equal, then lets debate the merits of charging for disabled parking. Until then, maybe lets put a bit more pressure on people to make society a little more equal eh?

ulysse
    Free Member

Imagine living in a world where train stations, pubs, shops, houses and even hospitals can be difficult, sometimes impossible to access.

When all things are equal, then lets debate the merits of charging for disabled parking. Until then, maybe lets put a bit more pressure on people to make society a little more equal eh?

Count me in.
    But then again ive been an able bodied activist for Black Triangle since it became clear the direction the Tory lead coalition was heading in in regards to disability benefits

Xylene
    Free Member

Why can electric cars park for free at charge points?

ulysse
    Free Member

Why can electric cars park for free at charge points?

Why did diesel fuel use to be orders of magnitude cheaper than petrol. Same question.
    Behavioral nudge theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_theory

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Why don't disabled drivers pay to park ?’ is closed to new replies.