Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why does my nose leak?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Help, my nose occasionally springs a leak.

When Im out on the road bike, my nose will often start leaking. Its not snotty sort of stuff, its less viscous, more like water. Its been doing this for maybe three months.

It also started doing it whilst I was at band practice last night, it was slightly annoying and I thought a trickle of fluid from my nose maybe detracts from the rock and roll image.

Why does this happen? Unless I’ve had a very, very mild cold for the last few months thne I cant think of any reason really.

U31
    Free Member

Happens to me every time i ride.. Rhinitis i think its called

molgrips
    Free Member

Ever wonder why cycling gloves have a bit of towelling on the back?

Although if it happens when not riding, see a doc.

philconsequence
    Free Member

buy a nose-clip….

that’s your brain juice escaping that is.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I get gallons pouring out of my nose after a surf. Occasionally it turns into sinusitis and turns dayglo orange with a nice headache to accompany it. Not handy.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Cutting down on milk intake reduces it for me.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Any dental problems?

Torminalis
    Free Member

a trickle of fluid from my nose maybe detracts from the rock and roll image

On the contrary, runny nose is well authentic rock and roll, blood is even better!

U31
    Free Member

Ahhhh the Columbian cold eh?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cutting down on milk intake reduces it for me.

Dont really drink any milk, apart from what I put in cups of tea/coffee

Any dental problems?

Nah

On the contrary, runny nose is well authentic rock and roll, blood is even better!

Class, I hope it stays then. I was just worried I might now be seen as “the kid with the snotty nose”

organic355
    Free Member

Ive had a bunged up runny nose for a few months now, suffered from bad hayfever in the summer, but it cant be that now.

Been doing some reading up and I am convinced I have a dairy intolerance. Apparently too much dairy causes mucus and releases histamines which can give you a blocked/runny nose.

Thinking about getting allergy tested to see if this is what is causing it.

EDIT: Its not just Milk you need to consider also cheese, butter, yogurt cream etc

Dairy products contain casein, a mucus-forming agent. It is the dominant protein in milk and other dairy items. Foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream and butter all contain casein. It has a glue-like texture and histamine-creating properties, both of which cause increased mucus production and nasal congestion.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It cant be the dairy, I’m sure of it. I used to have loads more dairy products than I do now (cereal in the morning, cereal at night, cheese etc)

But i only ever really have it in cups of tea or coffee nowadays.

How much do allergy tests cost?

organic355
    Free Member
    allthepies
    Free Member

too much gak ?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Your immune system is affected by cold weather and can induce hypersensitivity.

Also the windchill factor too.

Try a respro mask or think scarf and see if it makes a difference.

Winter is not for going uber fast its for core fitness and miles.

Spring is speed time.

Try getting plenty of sleep before a training ride too and kleenex.

scotbike
    Free Member

If it’s not all year, but in cooler weather, it’s probably Seasonally Allergic Rhinitis. I get this as well when the air is cool, which can be any time of year.
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/allergic-rhinitis-000003.htm

As linked above, allergy testing is pretty laborious, but well worth doing – the tests are very sensitive and can pick up food and substance intolerances, which are s kind of lesser form of allergy, intolerances are not that obvious, but if you can get on to sorting them out it can make a huge difference to yer happiness. Good luck with getting it sorted.

The link to dairy and mucus consistency (yuk!) is well proven, but I’m not sure dairy can actually cause the problem so much as make it worse.

leffeboy

Watch out also for blowing your nose too much as that seems to perpetuate the problem. I had a similar thing which eventually went when I stopped continually trying to clear my nose but it took a few weeks. Seem to remember there was a thread about it last year as well, might be worth a look

organic355
    Free Member

Scotbike, any recommendations for allergy tests or better to go through your GP?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks for input, I reckon I might have a crack at an allergy test. Just a bit worried that I may be allergic to something. I’ve been happy referring to myself as a doubly ‘ard bastard who ain’t allergic to owt. I used to enjoy laughing at the people who ended up in hospital after stroking a peanut.

scotbike
    Free Member

organic355 – tricky one – as you’d expect it’s an area full of quackery! I’d go with your GP first, if you can get a referral, I guess it might not be too expensive? Hopefully your GP listens to you, if not – persist, I’ve found that my GP is (understandably) not very used to delivering preventive medecine. I could give a recommendation for Cambridge, if that would be any use.

edit: see the nhs site.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Whichallergytest.aspx

scotbike
    Free Member

‘stroking a peanut’ that sounds all sorts of wrong y’know!

epicyclo

You’re full of it, simple. Ignore all that quasi medical stuff above.

What you need is to get a lady friend to suck out the surplus from the conveniently placed nozzle. This is best done in a private place because you wouldn’t want folk to think you are snotty.

Once the level has been sufficiently lowered you will feel really good. Guaranteed. 🙂

BTW a vacuum cleaner is no substitute for a lady friend.

scotbike
    Free Member

..ah now, that’s what I like to hear: an open mind, enlightened to alternative therapies 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why does my nose leak?’ is closed to new replies.