Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why do the water pipes in my house whistle?
  • the00
    Free Member

We have a large header and feed tank in the loft. This is the header for the hot water tank, and also supplies the toilet and bath with cold water. The ball float valve that is used to fill the tank does not cut off cleanly, and it is difficult to adjust. As the tank is so big, it is very slow to reach cut off level, which essentially means it is almost always just dribbling up to the cut off level.

With the ball float valve just open, the feed pipes whistle and whine, which is getting pretty annoying.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

I could get a new valve, but the sheer size if the tank means that it takes a lot of water to move the valve an inch. Maybe there is something I need to learn about the correct set up of the ball float and arm?

wwaswas

Why do the water pipes in my house whistle?

because they don’t know the words?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

In our old flat it was new valve time. Apparently as the valve gets older and weakens it doesn’t open or close fully, which causes a vibration, which causes noisy pipes.

It wasn’t just a whistle with us though, it was enough to wake up everyone in the building.

rkk01
    Free Member

We have a supply pipe to a downstairs sink that whines. I was a bit lax in fitting the pipework and didn’t clip it to the wall / unit in enough places – need to make sure that the pipe can’t vibrate…

druidh
    Free Member

Are you too sexy for your shirt?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Replace the ball valve. Cheap, and a 3 minute DIT fix for even the most inept DIY’er.

teamslug
    Free Member

If you whistle in tune with the pipes it will cancel out the noise..

nealglover
    Free Member

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Yup

I could get a new valve..

That’s the one 😉

It will take 10 minutes max, be very cheap, and will more than likely sort the problem.

Turn the water off.
    Run some water out of the tank to give you some space to work.
    Remove old valve.
    Fit new one.
    Turn water back on.

Job Jobbed. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why do the water pipes in my house whistle?’ is closed to new replies.