Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Why do so many people hate Americans?
  • aP
    Free Member

I think its a bit like Israelis – in small numbers they're very pleasant and good company, however, once you reach a critical mass it all goes a bit wrong.
    Oh, I studied in Mississippi for my post grad so have spent quite some time there, and not in thoes chichi places like Oregon you guys go to. Still got quite a few good friends out there from then.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah Brits abroad are a massive embarassment, far worse than Americans really, who just tend to be a bit brash and demanding. 😉

I think you might find that that's the 'holiday effect' – you know, when you drink retsina in greece, and it tastes like ambrosia, and you bring half a dozen bottles back home to find out it really tastes like turps.

Dunno about Fosters but I can definitely taste a (negative) difference between the real and the uk-made versions of beers like Stella and San Miguel

mtbfix

Same reason that a 150 years ago every-one hated the British, 400 years ago it was the Spanish, and a 1000 years ago people hated the Romans.

Not sure who hated the Romans 1000 years ago however those Normans were about to become an annoyance.

Americans are the nicest people, on the whole. Never met one I didn't like bar the drunk at a friends wedding and he gets the benefit of the doubt.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

What have the RomansAmericans ever done for us

hora
    Free Member

What have the Americans Russians ever done for us

They royally saved our asses in WWII. Thanks to the Americans in the 50/60's who then saved our asses from the Russians….

Sam

vinnyeh – Member

Fosters brewed in the UK is nothing like Fosters in Australia.

I think you might find that that's the 'holiday effect' – you know, when you drink retsina in greece, and it tastes like ambrosia, and you bring half a dozen bottles back home to find out it really tastes like turps.

As I'm from Australia I think that's unlikely. Unless It's some sort of reverse effect of being here that I think it tastes worse in the UK than it really does?

aP
    Free Member

Thanks to the Americans in the 50/60's who then saved our asses from the Russians….
    took airplane/radar/submarine/boat designs from us and then refused to give anything back.

vinnyeh

As I'm from Australia I think that's unlikely. Unless It's some sort of reverse effect of being here that I think it tastes worse in the UK than it really does?

Maybe. I think that tap lagers generally taste worse in this country than at home. Probably cos there's not enough temperature differential between the beer and the air.

vinnyeh

Thanks to the Americans in the 50/60's who then saved our asses from the Russians….
    took airplane/radar/submarine/boat designs from us and then refused to give anything back.

Instances please (not trolling).

aP
    Free Member

Miles M.52
    Look under the heading "Prototypes"
    Miles M.52 (1942-45)
    Bell X.1 (1945-48)
    Look at radar research, propellor design, hull dsign, aerodynamics….

atlaz
    Free Member

I married an American so I'm a little closer to the subject but…

By and large I find Americans friendly, welcoming and open. I've rarely encountered much anti-European rhetoric (except, bizarrely at the birthday for a 9 year old) and I've always found people interested in who I am, where I'm from etc. The food is good (can't get breakfasts and lunches like that over here), the beer is great if you ignore the mass produced crap and the cars, although awful for European driving, are perfect for the "shove on the cruise control and drive 400 miles" type driving they do there.

Generally I like the place (good job as I go there regularly) and the people.

The government and the system of how it's organised and run, not so much.

grumm
    Free Member

Agree about the breakfast over there, mmmm….

ransos
    Free Member

"Agree about the breakfast over there, mmmm…."

You mean the cremated bacon and weak coffee? Not to my taste…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

mmmmm Pancakes……..
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

You mean the cremated bacon and weak coffee? Not to my taste…

No more like Eggs Benedict with fried potatoes and a milkshake – mmmmmm…….

clubber
    Free Member

Pancakes rule. Especially hubcaps. 🙂

FWIW, I used to work for Scottish Courage who make Fosters in the UK. It is different here to other places – most brands tweak their recipes in different countries to suit local tastes. It's still pretty crap in Oz though.

GrahamS

They royally saved our asses in WWII.

A common cry often used by Americans.

While at least partially true, it somewhat ignores the facts that they very nearly waited too long before deciding to join the war and that the Russians did far more in stopping Germany (and paid a far, far greater cost than any other ally).

Speshpaul

"I actually like Americans. It's America that is a bit of a problem."
    Agreed, have a look at Dave Gormans US road trip (Unchained?)- how many petrol stations in the UK would drive a jerry can (or ameri-can) of gas to you when you ran out of fuel? Then only charge you for the gas in the can.
    Its the US is right attitude that gets me. When they (like everyone else) are so often wrong.

mcboo
    Free Member

I think my favourite meal in the world is the New York breakfast. Orange juice, pancakes or a bagel, fresh fruit, coffee on tap. I just love going there.

Just had a week in Turkey. Brits abroad are a **** embarrasment. are we now the fattest, most badly dressed people on the planet? Whole families in matching football shirts. Why? Why? Why?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Because football is considered a religion to many of the lower orders of Brit.

I took my 5 year old to Blackpool Tower circus yesterday and I have never seen so much cheap sportswear on so many fatties.

alwyn
    Free Member

English people find their positivity quite suspicious.

greyman
    Free Member

what smiffy said, obvious really

going out for breakfast is a good one

foreign policy etc sucks, but our history is not good in that department, as has been stated

I married one too 🙂

she reckons life is a bit more convenient in California than in the UK

lives here though, and appreciates the differences, but readily accepts that much of her own country is, shall we say, of the redneck persuasion, and she has never visited all of it.

Can't argue with the geography and natural beauty etc (as La France)

yeah, jelousy maybe ? – certainly in jest for the most part though

we ain't perfect you know 😉

iDave
    Free Member

i like them if they're intelligent and articulate. its the thick insular ones i don't get. but that's same every where. they're more friendly than brits, more positive too. mid west is deviod of hope. i can see why they're hated – they make a fuss over the lockeribe alleged bomber being released on compassionate grounds – Libya apologised and paid compensation to victims families – US shoot down an Iranian airliner killing 230+ and neither apologies or pay up. Phuckers.

people are people, some good some bad, some aggressive, some cute – nationalities are unimportant, borders are in the mind.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have nothing against our collateral warrior friends.

Although not everyone necessarily considers them to be "nice friendly people" as you put it.

Nice Friendly People :

{Images removed following complaints; people can google for those Abu Ghraib images if they wish – Mod}

Maybe it's as mcboo says, and "Americans, to be honest don't always travel very well"

And as for the comment : "Ignorance, insularity, obesity, selfishness and extremism." It should be remembered it is the 'United States' only in name.

The US has become deeply deeply divided, and deeply deeply polarised, specially in recent years. So whilst that comment may be true for some, the complete opposite is true for many others. Sadly, we tend to focus on the 'Sarah Palins' of this world.

DezB
    Free Member

They're not Americans – they're soldiers.

iDave
    Free Member

i would have to place those pictured outside my intelligent and articulate category

grievoustim
    Free Member

I find brits abroad (and at home) to be far more obnoxious than Americans.

And our foreign policy is nothing to be proud of in comparison to the US

I'm going to stick my neck out here

I loooooove US Budweiser (from a bottle) :P. And I don't think I have bad taste in Beer – I like Real Ale and hate Fosters/ Stella/ pretty much all mass produced lagers.

But a cold bottle of Bud is a lovely, simple, refreshing drink. I agree that it is on the bland side – but I would rather something , clear and refreshing then the rank, harsh aftertaste of Fosters or Stella

Denis99
    Free Member

It's not that difficult to understand why people can't stand Americans really.

My brother emigrated to the States about 10 years ago, he felt it necessary to adopt the American accent and to adopt their condescending terminolgy as well.

Refering to the UK as England, gas for petrol and a general ignorance of anything outside of America.

Being the guardians of all things democracy doesn't help eithr.

Yep, you've guessed – I'm not their biggest fan……..

iDave
    Free Member

gas for petrol

how dare he. he should call it petrol and be totally misunderstood by everyone else in his chosen county.

as for the accent thing maybe it helps people to understand him

who's being insular?

Toddboy
    Free Member

ask a yank to say 'mirror', and there's the answer!

ebygomm
    Free Member

My rule when i lived in america was i would use whichever word was shorter, so gas instead of petrol but bin instead of trashcan. If you ask for a torch instead of a flashlight though you get fire on the end of a stick!

scuttler

They invented those news programmes with the constantly scrolling banners full of rubbish at the bottom. Load of cobblers.

"And at the top of the hour…" Smack. They even say that here now.

greyman
    Free Member

it actually IS gasoline – refined petroleum ..

(chemists put me right here please)

El-bent
    Free Member

I find most Americans fine, Americans and America are separate things. The two things I don't like about the nation is the religious element and the almost blind patriotism…my country right or wrong.

But they are a young country and hopefully should grow out of it soon enough.

(End of topic sweeping generalisations about any nation seem utterly futile. Mod)

aP
    Free Member

I used to be told by some of my American friends that, "We're two countries separated by a common language".

El-bent
    Free Member

Well, it's one opinion Mod.

Denis99
    Free Member

iDave

I don't need to justify myself – it's my opinion after all.

Why would anyone want to change themselves to an extent that they remove any reference to who they are , and where they come from.

I work for an American owned company – in the main I find they very agressive, and condescending – hope that's ok with everyone – its my opinion and experience.

Not overly fond of them, but I'm honest enough to admit that they're not all the same.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Any nation that thinks its acceptable to export Budweiser and other such pish has to be dubious

Who's more stupid, the country that exports it or the country than imports it ? 😀

grynch
    Free Member

iDave – Member

gas for petrol

how dare he. he should call it petrol and be totally misunderstood by everyone else in his chosen county.

as for the accent thing maybe it helps people to understand him

who's being insular?

ok.. my two cents… I'm american but I say such silly things as "petrol" and "car park" so I will be understood.

and dennis… I don't know you mate ( oh look another one of "those" words) but maybe it's just you they are being condesceding to?

hope that's ok with you, it's my opinion.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I don't think the accent thing is a conscious decision for most people (and this goes for any country). I definetly picked up a hint of american whilst i was there, i wasn't trying to, in fact i hated it. My Danish boyfriend has a Scottish accent, perhaps i should tell him to stop trying to pretend to be something he's not.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Why do so many people hate Americans?’ is closed to new replies.