Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • why do people prefer the HTC desire over iphone?
  • GrahamS

Seriously? what a pain

Will change very, very soon with the new OS release.

can you do multiple audio on the iphone? On my X10 I was very impressed it could play spotify, last fm, mediascape, beebplayer & a voice recorder app all at the same time.

You can certainly play music in the background while doing other stuff and apps can still make sounds when music is playing. But you can't play a whole bunch of stuff together, mainly because there is no multitasking for third-party apps yet.

Drac

True Joe but I don't live near a city so had that.

iPhone doesn't support multitasking yet, meaning that if you get a phone call, the gps drops out.

And then when your phone calls done it comes back. Ta Da!

Ah! Wait get what you meant the signal is lost so if you move you do speeds of 384mph when it comes back.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

the new iphone is out within the next month and does support multitasking!

crikey
    Free Member

I dislike it because I use a small mp3 player and change the music every so often, I like the ability to drag and drop music from player to pc and back, and from phone to pc to player.
    I also dislike the occasional 'where's my music gone?' problem that saw my daughters and my friends ipod wiped clean.
    Fairly insignificant dislikes, I admit, but enough to put. me off.

maxray
    Free Member

I don't think there is much between them, I got a desire because it was cheaper, I am more a fan of Google/open source than MAC and it had a,better camera.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't understand why anyone can 'dislike' iTunes. What is there to dislike? It catalogues music and you play it.

Me too…. It's baffling.

I like Genius too. 🙂

Drac

the new iphone is out within the next month and does support multitasking!

So will the 3GS.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have many CDs – with a Desire (or most other phones) I stick them on the laptop then "drag" them onto my phone. Easy.

I can also view Flash websites and use open and manipulate Office files – all very handy. And all very free.

Drac

I have many CDs – with a Desire (or most other phones) I stick them on the laptop then "drag" them onto my phone. Easy.

Yeah the iPhone does that.

GrahamS

joe: gps in cities: yeah but it can cheat there can't it because it can use wifi triangulation, on top of the cell tower triangulation to get a rough positional lock.

Anyway, I've been doing some mapping by walking round Gateshead with my iPhone in my pocket and it seems to have done pretty well unless I went under an underpass or something.

I dislike it because I use a small mp3 player and change the music every so often, I like the ability to drag and drop music from player to pc and back, and from phone to pc to player.

Not sure why iTunes would prevent you from doing that.

I have all my music sitting in normal folders full of mp3s that I can drag about in Windows, play in Media Player, play in iTunes, whatever.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah the iPhone does that.
    You don't even have to drag them onto your phone – once you have set up the playlists it just automatically syncs any new music.

Drac

True but I prefer to select and drag over. Mind you the feker sometimes insists on syncing and I end up with a load of crap I didn't want.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mf – I'm too lazy/thick to set up playlists… 😳

joemarshall
    Free Member

use open and manipulate Office files

Ooh, what app is it for that? I only have an office file reader, not anything that can edit them.

I don't understand why anyone can 'dislike' iTunes. What is there to dislike? It catalogues music and you play it.

If you have a mac, itunes just works. If you have a PC, it is a bit buggy and nasty, and takes over your PC a bit. This is because Apple, being a very mac focused company, don't employ any decent PC developers, so their PC software is rubbish (Quicktime is pretty bad on PC too).

Also, there are different ways to catalogue music, for example some people like to keep them just in folders on their hard disk – that way if you change mp3 player, or have multiple mp3 playing devices, all of them will work with it*, whereas with itunes, doesn't it bung your files all into the apple library, where it will only work with apple things that work with itunes.

Joe
    *I've used the exact same music library to put music on all my 3 last phones, made by 3 different manufacturers, and I put music on in exactly the same way.

GrahamS

Also, there are different ways to catalogue music, for example some people like to keep them just in folders on their hard disk – that way if you change mp3 player, or have multiple mp3 playing devices, all of them will work with it*, whereas with itunes, doesn't it bung your files all into the apple library, where it will only work with apple things that work with itunes.

Nope. That is exactly what I do.

My iTunes is set NOT to copy the files into its own special library and just use them where they are. Works fine.

Just untick this box:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you have a mac, itunes just works. If you have a PC, it is a bit buggy and nasty, and takes over your PC a bit. This is because Apple, being a very mac focused company, don't employ any decent PC developers, so their PC software is rubbish (Quicktime is pretty bad on PC too).

I use it on my Mac at work and my PC laptop (Windows 7 32bit). Seems to work in an identical manner to me.

Mf – I'm too lazy/thick to set up playlists…

Playlists are easy-peasy lemon squeezy. Smart playlists are fantastic once you have the hang of them, but they ARE a pain.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have an iPhone (free with job…) and it's a big step up from an old Blackberry I had before but the battery life is shocking and push email/calendar synching keeps crapping out, it also seems to reboot itself whilst charging. If I was buying my own smartphone now it would probably be a Desire

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Nope. That is exactly what I do.

My iTunes is set NOT to copy the files into its own special library and just use them where they are. Works fine.
    Agreed – I had a Mac with limited space so I kept my massive catalogue on an external drive – any new music I loaded was set to save to the external drive, NOT the pre-defined place iTunes puts it if you use default settings. It wasn't very hard to do – a quick google showed me how to move the library from the internal drive and subsequently save new music to the new location.

crikey
    Free Member

I appreciate my obvious stupidity and shall rush out and buy a new ipod, iPhone, ipad and subscribe to itunes at once.
    Or maybe there are different ways of doing things other than using Apple that might suit other people?
    You can always tell a fanboy, but you can't tell him much…

GrahamS

You can always tell a fanboy, but you can't tell him much…

🙄

Yes, because in a discussion about the merits of iPhone vs HTC, any attempt to defend the former from any critical point, regardless of whether it is factually correct or not, marks you as a Jobs-gobbling Apple-whore ifanboi.

Please.

IA

I would hazard a guess the main reason folk would choose a desire over a iPhone is cost. iPhones are damn expensive. But then for some people, they're not really. For a lot of folk £30+ a month on a phone isn't "too much".

crikey
    Free Member

I'm not being critical, I'm detailing why I don't use itunes or an iPhone. This seems to cause consternation rather than being accepted as a straightforward state of affairs.

crikey
    Free Member

I'm not being critical, I'm detailing why I don't use itunes or an iPhone. This seems to cause consternation rather than being accepted as a straightforward state of affairs.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cost had nothing to do with it in my case. Our company pays so it's "free" anyway 😉

GrahamS

Yes and the reasons you gave are not factually correct.

Say you were having a nice discussion about the pros and cons of bikes versus walking and someone said to you "I don't like cycling", "Cycling turns you into a sex offender and is proven to cause cancer in unborn pregnant seals". "Walking is better because it is a mode of transport that allows me to get from one place to another..

Does replying "No it doesn't" "That's bollocks" and "so does cycling" mean you are a cycling fanboi?

For the record, I don't use Android phones because they give you the bad AIDS.

crikey
    Free Member

But given that I don't use itunes why is detailing the fact that itunes can do what I already manage to do helpful? Should I change everything over to Apple to achieve exactly the same result? It's a type of technology, there are different ways to achieve the same result, but, as always in these discussions, there is an assumption that if I don't use Apple I am somehow denying myself.
    I've said why I don't like it, I've said that my concerns are insignificant, but that they were enough to make me choose, but it seems that any attempt to suggest that there might be an alternative is indicative of some kind of idiocy.

crikey
    Free Member

But given that I don't use itunes why is detailing the fact that itunes can do what I already manage to do helpful? Should I change everything over to Apple to achieve exactly the same result? It's a type of technology, there are different ways to achieve the same result, but, as always in these discussions, there is an assumption that if I don't use Apple I am somehow denying myself.
    I've said why I don't like it, I've said that my concerns are insignificant, but that they were enough to make me choose, but it seems that any attempt to suggest that there might be an alternative is indicative of some kind of idiocy.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

You seem to struggle with basic human behaviour graham.

I'm a programmer.

🙂

Drac

the battery life is shocking and push email/calendar synching keeps crapping out, it also seems to reboot itself whilst charging

Something wrong there not had any of those problems.

GrahamS

But given that I don't use itunes why is detailing the fact that itunes can do what I already manage to do helpful? Should I change everything over to Apple to achieve exactly the same result?

No, obviously if you've got something that works for you then that's lovely.

But you offered your answers as reasons that you dislike and don't use iTunes. As an iTunes user am I not allowed to respond to those points – especially as they were wrong?

Something wrong there not had any of those problems.

Agreed. No issues like that here either. I use push email for work and private email and I do real-time syncing with Google Calendar via the Google Exchange server. Not seen it reboot during charging – unless the battery was so drained that the phone was only able to restart itself once power was connected.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Also, if you are looking at the desire, check out the tariffs on the three website – I got mine for free on a 17 quid a month tariff, and there are ones with lots of minutes for 25 – worth considering a switch, you typically get much better deals for switching networks than you do when getting an upgrade. It is pretty unlikely that you'd need to pay 80 quid for it if you shop around a little.

Joe

Joe, don't suppose you have a link for this? the only ones I can find are 30 quid a month for 24 months. I'm with 3 at the moment on a sim only after my last contract ended and I'd like to stay with them as they are a pretty good network to be on

joemarshall
    Free Member

Joe, don't suppose you have a link for this? the only ones I can find are 30 quid a month for 24 months. I'm with 3 at the moment on a sim only after my last contract ended and I'd like to stay with them as they are a pretty good network to be on

Bugger, can't find it on their site any more. Maybe it was a special offer last month or something, I am certainly on it (17 quid for 24 months), so it wasn't a mistake.

Cheapest I can see where you get the phone free now is £25, on Orange, vodafone and t-mobile, with various large amounts of minutes, and internet (I just looked on uswitch).

Joe

scottidog
    Free Member

Apple's nauseatingly pleasant advertising has put me off for life.

The iPhone makes people smug and love the smell of their own farts.

kimbers

surely the biggest flaw with the iphone is its memory

only 16gb

whereas a desire can take up to a 32gb microsd (tho they are £100)

its very frustrating when apple sell 180gb ipods but only 16gb phones, and im assuming a large chunk of that 16gb is taken up with apps and other gubbins

its a bit of a cynical ploy by apple to get you to buy 2 of their products imho

i heard the 4g iphone wouldnt be out til september?
    i know brian singer has only just started work on the adverts for it, tho im not sure how long an ad takes to make

IA

keep up kimbers, they've sold 32gb iPhones for a year now at least.

kimbers

oops!

well 32gb is still way short of what im after my 30gb ipods full 🙁 and i want to get loads more on

and 64gb microsd are allegedly on the way

cynic-al
    Free Member

scottidog – Member
    The iPhone makes people smug and love the smell of their own farts.

Lotsa folk like the smell of their own farts without owning an ipod.

GrahamS

surely the biggest flaw with the iphone is its memory
    only 16gb
    whereas a desire can take up to a 32gb microsd (tho they are £100)

Apart from the y'know, the 32GB iPhone.

Drac

If you fill it with music than yes 16gb may not be enough, if you fill it with a moderate amount of music it's more than enough the appds don't take up a huge amount of room.

DrJ

Apart from the y'know, the 32GB iPhone.

Shhh … he was feeling all superior.

its a bit of a cynical ploy by apple to get you to buy 2 of their products imho

LOL – yes – keep Artists A-M on one iPhone and N-Z on another. People doing that will make a big contribution to Apple's cashflow!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘why do people prefer the HTC desire over iphone?’ is closed to new replies.