Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Why do people like windfarms?
  • bazookajoe
    Free Member

I like them though they remind me of The Tripods, that old bbc kids programme, so a bit eerily creepy too. I think they look way prettier on a hillside than your average ski development

project
    Free Member

Oh and i forgot the itinerant travels camp, next to the motorway, as well as a major airport flightpath, from John Lennon airport speke, along with Manchester, then theres the thousands of scoucers who live across the river.

At least if they did have a leak they could turn the wind turbines on and blow the fumes away.

mt
    Free Member

Can see more than large 20 windmills from the windows at our hous,e including one of the earliest in the UK powering an individual factory. Also several farms with smaller unit each. On the coldest days of the winter they are always still just when they are needed. Am resonably happy them being there but am fully aware that given our collective us of electricity, we need every coal/gas/nuclear station we have. Having said that, in the next 5 years a good portion of our coal and nuclear stations will be shut down. So will be connecting my turbo trainer up to the grid, reckon I could be earning a couple of quid a week given the massive subsidy for PV on house roofs.

chiefgrooveguru

The amount of rare earth metals in a typical windfarm is quite staggering – and the negative environmental impact of extracting and refining those metals even more so. But that happens in China so none of the windfarm evangelists ever mention it…

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I reckon most houses should all have little ‘uns to help things along, though I guess it would be nimby for real for some

big_n_daft
    Free Member

project – Member
    On ince marshes next to one of the largest oil refinerys in the uk, a huge glass bottle making plant, the manchester ship cannal, the largest uk producer of highly poisonous chlorine and other nasties,along with a large fertilizer plant, and a major motorway,2 railway lines going to different placesand a major river, they want to put some wind turbines, and the locals are complaining about visual impact.

Ince marshes is the stretch of motorway just after chester services and just before the runcorn turnoff the m56

it’s also next to a huge SSSI with protected bird species, GC newts and other animals and some time team stuff amongst other things

you also missed the planned waste management plant 😉

stanfree
    Free Member

Mike, you been up Sutra and seen them close up, I think they’re quite cool. way cooler than disused war bunkers and dookits for instance

😆 😀

What about old spoons and ruins in Newbattle .?

Wave power seemed to be the next big thing up until last year , but now even they dont seem to be flavour of the month. The big ugly beast that Is cockenzie maybe an eyesore but can go from shut down to producing Gigawatts GW(GW FFS one of them is enough) In 50 minutes.

yunki
    Free Member

The amount of rare earth metals in a typical windfarm is quite staggering

fo’ sho’.. I mean you certainly wouldn’t find that sort of stuff in other power facilities..
    disgusting

project
    Free Member

it’s also next to a huge SSSI with protected bird species, GC newts and other animals and some time team stuff amongst other things

you also missed the planned waste management plant

And the silt dumping ground for the ship canal, where they use straw bales to clean the water flowing out of the huge lagoons.

Sure its called Paradise lane. 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

The amount of rare earth metals in a typical windfarm is quite staggering – and the negative environmental impact of extracting and refining those metals even more so. But that happens in China so none of the windfarm evangelists ever mention it…

Really? I thought the reason it wasn’t mentioned much was because most of the generators used in large scale farms were induction generators, not permanent magnet ones like those used in back-yard turbines, meaning there’s sod all rare earth content?

Other types of machines like dc-generators, permanent magnet
    machines or variable-reluctance generators are not important in
    the state of the art market in wind power generation [2].

(taken from Development of Induction Machines in Wind Power
    Technology, Stefan Soter, Member, IEEE, Ralf Wegener, Student Member, IEEE))

([2] J. Marques, et al. A Survey on Variable-Speed Wind Turbine System, Con-
    gresso Brasileiro de Eletrˆ onica de Potˆ encia (COBEP), 2003, Fortaleza – CE.)

mrmo
    Free Member

mind you just up the road there is a SSSI inside the Shotton Steel works, so i wouldn’t put to much effort into arguing anything off the back of that.

Cougar

and the locals are complaining about visual impact.

Exactly, FFS. It’s next to Runcorn.

CheesybeanZ

swan choppers , i like them . quite a surreal sight on a misty day as you ride round the side of a hill 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I reckon most houses should all have little ‘uns to help things along

Superb – at least the big ones are efficient when there’s wind.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sure its called Paradise lane.

you would think, but try digging near there and the ecologist employment generation scheme kicks in, it will probably easier to dig a trench through the middle of the Lake District

druidh
    Free Member

I quite like them. The have an elegance and symmetry which is visually appealing.

The Lammermuirs and Moorfoots are near the central belt so there is minimal transmission loss too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Superb – at least the big ones are efficient when there’s wind.

Don’t the little ones work then ? The people living in these award winning houses in Croydon will be disappointed.

http://www.ecearchitecture.com/portfolio/view/summer_gardens_croydon/

aracer
    Free Member

The people living in these award winning houses in Croydon will be disappointed.

Nah – I don’t suppose it will affect their smug little glow.

igm

Proper on-shore wind turbines (ie big ones) are the cheapest form of renewable energy on a per MW basis (might have been per MWh). Next best is off-shore as I recall though I’m hazier on that.

bencooper
    Free Member

I like ’em – especially that view you sometimes get of just the blades chopping over the top of a hill. Elegant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nah – I don’t suppose it will affect their smug little glow.

Smug because of their reduced utility bills ?

Brycey
    Free Member

Regarding the rare metals argument, it’s the next generation of direct drive turbines that use considerably more as they do away with a gearbox and do everything with the generator. It is the scarcity of these metals that has partially slowed their development.

Those who aren’t keen on them should try and get used to them, especially if they live on the coast. The amount of money currently being spent, along with the number that will be built over the next few years is MIND BOGGLING!

bencooper
    Free Member

If you ever needed a reason to like wind turbines, arch **** Donald Trump doesn’t like ’em:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/28/donald-trump-scottish-offshore-windfarm

igm

Thanks Don S, I stand corrected(ish) though beware some of those technologies don’t actually exist and solar farms are not the same as PV on people’s roofs.

bigjim

Don’t the little ones work then ?

Yes they work fantastically well, a friend has a wee one on his farm and is astounded by the amount of leccy (and money as it way more than meets their needs on the farm) it is making.

The Lammermuirs are pretty covered in them, when I drive on the road up to Whiteadder Reservoir it is always a surprise when they come into view. They’ll have a pretty high capacity factor up there anyway, very windy place! But not as high capacity factor as the wind farm on Orkney that recorded 130mph winds last weekend, they get 44% up there!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Regarding the rare metals argument, it’s the next generation of direct drive turbines that use considerably more as they do away with a gearbox and do everything with the generator. It is the scarcity of these metals that has partially slowed their development.

Really? The ones I’ve been talking with manufacturers about have been asynchronous machines that still are not permanent magnet machines, they’re inverter-controlled machines. I’m no motors expert but AFAIK they work by instead of generating against mains frequency with a gearbox they generate against a self-adjusting frequency generated from the grid frequency (so don’t need a ‘box) and then convert with an inverter back to grid-matched. At least that’s what the manufacturer I was discussing with said. But he is only one of many. Using large rare-earth magnets of those scales would be vastly expensive but I suppose would increase the overall efficiency.

Brycey
    Free Member

Coffeeking – You sound like you know more than me (not hard), the rare metals line was being discussed on the trade press but in retrospect it was fairly vague.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t think I do, but I work around a lot of electric machines research people in the renewables fields and pick up a few things, I was just curious as it didn’t hold with what I’d heard, but like I say that’s only one manufacturer I’ve spoken directly to, the rest is gleaned through those with more knowledge than I so could be crossed wires on my part.

Brycey
    Free Member

There’s a lot of time and effort being spent on direct drive as servicing and maintaining windfarms (especially offshore) is where a lot of the cost is, so simpler mechanics are clearly an advantage. As a result id imagine there’s a few different avenues being explored by the manufacturers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As a result id imagine there’s a few different avenues being explored by the manufacturers.

I imagine so. The various methods seem to be very close efficiency wise I guess it’s down to who has what expertise and links to the current manufacturers rather than technology specific causes. Interesting to hear the trade is considering PM machines as a viable option though.

epicyclo

Why do people like windfarms?

On the negative side:

1. Being seen to do something is more important than achieving it?

2. They’re actually fans to keep Gaia cool by blowing all that hot air away.

3. It’s a method of destroying a profitable tourist industry.

On the positive side:

1. Think of all those lovely subsidies.

2. er, that’s it

grantway
    Free Member

Thinks they look pretty cool myself
    Also being able to place them other than land so you can make use of wasted/none usable space

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Wind farms and tidal energy catchment are absorbing the earths natural motion and momentum, come the day, the earths rotation will be slowed too much, gravity will be too weak and we will all be flung into outer space…………………

donsimon
    Free Member

Any form of energy production preferences is simply choosing the lesser of whichever evil.
    Carbon emissions.
    Nuclear safety.
    Wind farms producing noise pollution, visual pollution, loss of scarce metals, dead birds, etc.
    Wave energy, having an impact on sea life, visual impact etc.
    Solar PV, visual, cost benefit.
    There are positives and negatives for all, so this argument will trundle on forever.
    The single most effective method is to reduce consumption. Hang on, what about the job losses?

grantway
    Free Member

[Wind farms producing noise pollution, visual pollution]

{loss of scarce metals}

Well these are normally made from tubular Steel and the blades are made from
    Glass-fibre reinforced polyester or Wood-epoxy so not any scarce material used.

LOL what ! irrelevant crazy. these are not near homes, and what is visual pollution ?
    Now I wonder why so much money is wasted during planning before anything is built
    in this country coming up against such strange comments.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Angular plots of pine trees are worse visual pollution in the countryside than turbines.

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Much like people forget the health and safety issues of Russian/Chinese coal, and the environmental/social/health issues of oil from Nigeria.

rickmeister

Our nephew has been working at a company in Straiton who are leading he world with a hydraulic drive that is going to replace the mechanical gearboxes that apparently cause problems with reliability in turbines…. they are leaders in their technical field… He actually got his job through STW too…

donsimon
    Free Member

LOL what ! irrelevant crazy. these are not near homes, and what is visual pollution ?
    Now I wonder why so much money is wasted during planning before anything is built
    in this country coming up against such strange comments.

Glad you’ve taken on board that one man’s meat is another man’s poison, and that you’re so comfortable in accepting views that differ from your own.

zokes
    Free Member

Just don’t stand near one if it’s going very fast…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CqEccgR0q-o[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Why do people like windfarms?’ is closed to new replies.