Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Why can't Fox sort themselves out?
  • legend
    Free Member

Other forks do wear – its just that the wear on Kashima coatings shows up because it wears the coating off.

The problem has been around longer than Kashima.

IME they don’t handle neglect as well as RS, no point in comparing them to open bath forks. I ran a Boxxer for about 18months with basically no oil and suffered no visible wear, my 36s still had a good amount of oil in them at the last service but are still showing signs of wear.

Of course riders should be following the service guidelines to the letter, but they should also be selecting kit to match the attention they are likely to give it. (How many people give their fork several services on a 2 week holiday out of interest?)

EDIT: I’m not ashamed to say that I just want kit that goes on working these days. I’ll be heading back to Marzocchi and paying the weight penalty next time.

hora
    Free Member

Kashima wears?

😯

I thought it was wonder-stuff?

**** the weight issues- just use Mazz’s approach.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you have spent £1k on your forks you are a ****t if you dont spend a few quid and 15 mins every few months looking after them.

Again this is missing the point many of us are trying to make. I don’t want to make a(nother) sweeping generalisation but many of us have no problem with looking after our kit and are happy to service forks. Some of us are happy to pay others to do it. What we’re grumbling about is the frequency we’re supposed to do it, which for a keen rider is a lot more often than “every few months”.

hora
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How many people give their fork several services on a 2 week holiday out of interest?

How many need to?

Say 30 miles a day, 10mph = 3 hours of actual riding each day. Which seems reasnoble once you ignore uplifts, rests etc. Even on a group XC ride with what feels like little/no stopping my Garmin says we only actualy move for 75% of the time, and hollidays are far more laid back.

So that’s one week for Fox’s intervals, about 2 weeks for RS, assuming riding 5 days/week. Assuming 15 and 25 hour service intervals, which I thought was wrong as fox had increaced theirs to >24 hours.

And no one goes on holliday somewhere as crappy as the UK.

But yes, after a week’s hard riding my forks feelt shagged (RS sektors and lyrics). I probably do a service every ~10 hours because it’s quick and in reality if I didn’t do it all I’d gain is a cup of tea or 10 minutes watching news 24.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    None of the internet heresay and waffle makes me want to buy fox forks, hey cost a fortune, they have stupidly short service intervals (relative to the competition) and seem to be a constant source of woe for half the owners, while the other half are meticulously cleaning and servicing them to prevent normal use bolloxing them…
    I’ve had Several old pairs of Marzocchi forks, treated them like shite and never had this issue…
    POSTED 55 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Too true! I’ve been riding for many years now in a big group and it definitely seems that the fox forks are the most vulnerable to stanchion wear, in fact tbh I haven’t even seen any other brand forks wear!

It isn’t really fair when you’ve paid do much for forks for them to wear within a year, weather they’ve been serviced or not! There is clearly a problem with there coating on the stanchions, if you run your finger nail very gently down fox stanchions you can feel they’re quite rough compared to say RS or marzocchi.

chestrockwell

I agree with some of the pro fox posts and agree user error is a factor and other forks get stantion wear but my point from the start was that there’s a far higher percentage of bust Fox forks compared to the others.

I’ve spent more time then’s healthy trawling ebay and various forums FS sections looking at suitable forks from all the main players to stick on my Clockwork for the last couple of months. It is a simple fact that far more Fox are mince then any of the other big boys, regardless of service intervals, hard life, easy life etc.

I just can’t get my head around the fact that others seem to be able to provide coatings that last for the most part but Fox can’t. It can not be that hard for their r+d chaps to work out?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Northwind

khani – Member

If you look into it Fox service intervals are pretty much the same as Rockshox, major service every 100 hours, and a lowers service every 15hours for Fox and 25 hours for Rockshox, so a bit different but not that much

And do a search for worn Rockshox lowers.. It’s not exactly unheard of for those either.

And when Rockshox do it, everyone goes “that’s weird”, when Fox do it they go “Dur, Fox all do that…”

But to be fair it does seem like Rockshox are more tolerant of it all… And I think that the people who actually service their forks to the schedules are probably a small minority. Servicing every 15 hours is mad- stop halfway through a 24 hour race and service your forks… Might seem more tolerable for people who ride for 3 hours once a fortnight but I’d have to service mine about every 8 days. Using only official Fox oil of course. Not very realistic or fit for purpose.

I’ve had one set of Rockshox wear, a set of Boxxers. They were 8 years old, and the receipt for the last service that came with the forks was for 2008. Not bad.

julians
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of fox forks, one from 2005, the other from 2011.

Both are fine, I dont clean them very often at all, maybe once every 10 rides, they get a home service less frequently than once per year.

they seem great to me, no issues with anyone elses fox forks (or other brands) in my riding circle either.

Blower
    Free Member

Fox= shit!

never again will i have a set of Fox.cant take the abuse.
    if they sort them selves out maybe, but they’re overpriced..

Rock shox lyriks or mazz for me. 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Where does 15 hours come from, even the Fox site says 25 hours?

chestrockwell – Member

my point from the start was that there’s a far higher percentage of bust Fox forks compared to the others.

I’ve spent more time then’s healthy trawling ebay and various forums FS sections looking at suitable forks from all the main players to stick on my Clockwork for the last couple of months. It is a simple fact that far more Fox are mince then any of the other big boys, regardless of service intervals, hard life, easy life etc.

As I said on the last page, people are unlikely to sell forks they’re happy with, so a higher proportion of 2nd hand forks will be buggered and beyond economical repair, than forks that are in use. Fox are mahoosively popular OEM, so lots in ciruclation. Possibly a greater proortion with people who
    a) didn’t realise (or aknowlage) the cost fo them.
    b) didn’t research the forks, just the bike within their budget.
    c) didnt read the manual as it was in amongst 5 others for the bike.

So more forks means more failiures, and looking at 2nd hand adds will always show up more buggered examples.

chestrockwell

I know where you’re coming from spoon but I bet there’s more RS fitted OE and there’s probably as many RS on the second hand market. They do not have the same problems with wear.
    Lot’s of people also sell old forks because they want a new set for no other reason then ‘because’. The argument can go round and round but the fact seems to be that Fox stantions wear more then others.

I’d have thought it couldn’t be to hard for them to put right and would also have thought it’d be in their best interests 😕

hora
    Free Member

Anyway don’t you hate Marz stuff atm Hora

The chocolate internals yes. The outer-body tends to be made of sterner stuff!

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Where does 15 hours come from, even the Fox site says 25 hours?

Must have changed that yet again, they switch their service intervals constantly (which is doubly confusing for users tbh, especially with their doubletalk- “Kashima is more reliable and durable. PS we’ve halved the service intervals”

rocco

i’ve poss got some fox float 150mm (spaced down to 140mm atm) FIT RL 15mm QR in black id be possibly willing to sell?

serviced by loco – and new SKF (when serviced in june time) seals by loco too! probably due a service, but running absolutly fine at the mo

no wear on the stanchions, due to me cleaning after every single ride! (even loco said i clealry look after them ) do have one very very light scratch on the stanchion (its not deep, more a light scratch)

been thinking of selling them to try something different if your interested?

Could be very interested, how much are you looking for them? Email me with a price and pictures please 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Must have changed that yet again, they switch their service intervals constantly (which is doubly confusing for users tbh, especially with their doubletalk- “Kashima is more reliable and durable. PS we’ve halved the service intervals”

When did they halve it? I remember hearing they upped it to 25 hours whem people complained that technicaly doing a 24hour race invalidated the warrenty.

Never owned fox, but looking at a new bike and the options are SRAM drivechain and low spec SID, or Shimano drive train and FIT Floats for a couple of hundred more. I’d pay that just to avoid SRAM drivechain Although anoyingly, they all have elixirs……….

Trimix
    Free Member

Orange Crush – I dont think its that fair to compare them with mototcycle forks. The forks on my motorcycles are chromed, thickly coated, heavier and can put up with tougher seals.

The ones on mountainbikes are expected to have no stiction, weigh bugger all and still work.

You ride a KTM by any chance ?

(Ive got a KTM 525, and a 990 as well as a Bultaco 250, Montessa 250 and XR400)

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve been burned and I’ll never go back. Plenty of competition out there and the ones I’ve used since have been easily as good if not better (but then they are newer). RS + XFusion now
    Serviced 5 times in a year (4 lowers + 1 uppers/lowers+new seals). Small amount of wear on the spring side inner. Maybe it was because I didnt use fox oil 😉 (I did use fox fluid though)

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

When did they halve it? I remember hearing they upped it to 25 hours whem people complained that technicaly doing a 24hour race invalidated the warrenty.

They dropped the full service to 50 hours from 100 at about the same time as the kashima forks launched.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

In 18 years of using suspension forks* I’ve never had a pair properly serviced and have never suffered from stanchion wear. Just make sure I clean the vital areas and lube regularly. Seems to do the trick for me.

(RS Quadras, Judys, Mags & Revs, lots of Bombers, and various Fox Vanillas and Floats)

As soon as I post this the 4 pairs currently residing in my shed are going to explode. I just know it.

chiefgrooveguru

So far mine have had two annual services and the stanchions are the only part of my bike that I’m fastidious about cleaning before each ride. I also cover them liberally in silicone spray at the same time. Feeling great, no signs of wear.

According to Strava it looks like they’ve had about 200 hours of use between services (I was castigated by the mechanic who did the first service – apparently the oil had emulsified due to me getting a bit too keen with the hose, whilst the mechanic who did the last service said they were looking good, so being more careful when washing has paid off). I haven’t dared pull them apart myself…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Full service every 50 hours?

Says 200 in this link?

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/service_intervals.htm#32MM_Fork_Service_Interval

50 hours would be 10 weeks on the XC bike for me and I don’t even ride that much (IMO)!

LoCo
    Free Member

Set of Showa USD forks off a Ducati 916, bit of wear 😉

showa stantion wear by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

Northwind

Remember the GSXR forks with the gold coating… It all fell off, Suzuki’s response “Yeah but it doesn’t do anything anyway, don’t worry about it” :mrgreen: Think those were KYB… I reckon if I was a fork manufacturer I’d use silver, at least that way it’s not so obvious when it wears.

TINAS, proves my point really! They change their intervals like I change my pants- once a year whether they need to or not.

Trimix
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – you dont need to “pull them apart”. Dropping the lowers off is a case of two bolts. 15 mins. You can then change the oil and pop in new foam rings. Quick clean of the seals and quick inspection.

Honestly, its really not that hard. Not worth paying someone to do it, or skimping on servicing.

legend
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Set of Showa USD forks off a Ducati 916, bit of wear

you of all people should be looking after your forks

EDIT: Instead of building bloomin’ fixies!

😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Only have the forks (another thing i found when tidying) not the bike they came off, unfortunatly 👿

chiefgrooveguru

chiefgrooveguru – you dont need to “pull them apart”. Dropping the lowers off is a case of two bolts. 15 mins. You can then change the oil and pop in new foam rings. Quick clean of the seals and quick inspection.

15 minutes, really? Every time someone on here tells me a job takes 5 minutes it takes 50! Do I need an accurate torque wrench when reassembling? Do I have to hit something with a mallet just hard enough to make it come apart without hitting it so hard that I break it? I tried that with the Rockshox on my old bike and gave up because I got scared.

Northwind

Can’t speak for Fox but Rockshox really is very quick. Though it’s a bit more hassle with the forks in the bike, hoses get in the way etc (*) and you need to be careful about dirt. Undo bolts, slide legs off, clean, squirt, rebuild.

(was easier with IS mount! Just remove brake and remount after, no need to realign)

julianwilson
    Free Member

hora – Member

This isn’t unreasonable: http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/service_intervals.htm

😯 Never mind the fork: according to that link, if the conditions are wet and muddy, you need to do Air Sleeve Maintenance on a float shock every eight hours, including replacing the quad ring even if it looks ok. Does this mean you can invalidate your warranty three times over in one 24 hour race?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m getting seriously pissed off with oil settling in the top of my 36s, even with the new wiper seal. Makes them feel terrible.
    Don’t want lyriks, so there’s not a lot of options for strong, light forks. Devilles maybe? No 150mm flavour though.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Hmmn, despite regular servicing of my talas 36s the stanctions have still worn, I think the op has a valid point, I have now switched to marzocchis although heavier, the chrome type finish does look a lot more durable. time will tell.. 😐

BearBack
    Free Member

The sellers haven’t looked after their forks properly, not really Fox’s fault is it

Agreed, liberal use of GT85 is NOT maintainance

somafunk

Spraying gt85/wd-40 etc around the stantions will do more harm than good as they act more as a degreaser than a lubricant and will wash all the oil from the foam rings.

I’ve seen 4month old Kashima fox forks in the shop with wear on the left hand stantion (air side) so great that they only option is total rebuild with new upper crown and legs along with new bushes (£400), we’ve got a wall of shame in the shop with three set’s of uppers all showing ridges worn in the stantions – every time we sell a bike with fox forks (or any fork to be fair) we stress the fact that they need servicing at least every 3 months if ridden regularly – ie a few times a week. i have a set of Fox FX-80 Terralogic from 2004 on my Juan Solo SS and these are in A1 condition, purely because i have serviced them, sometimes i needed to service them on a fortnightly basis depending on the conditions and amount of riding i was doing at the time.

It only cost £35 for a fork oil change/service so either pay up every few months or learn how to do it yourself.

chiefgrooveguru

What oil/grease/lube is in the seals?

dyna-ti

Without reading every post,this has probably already been mentioned
    but there are probably 1999 bombers still in use and without the kind of wear we see on fox forks.Admitedly they arent receiving the same sort of hard treatment but still you would think after 12 years they’d show some signs 😕
    One thing obout bombers was to keep the stanchions pristine you kept the boots on and replaced the ptfe coated 90mm bushing every couple of years
    I used my Z2’s from when i bought them new in ’99 to when they were wrecked by halfords ‘trained’ mechanics which was approximately 2008.I used them on a near daily basis.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’d love a set of Fox forks and for the first time in my life, I could go online and buy them right now without fear of grief from the wife (tax return not quite as bad as expected)!

But I’m put off for the same reasons as the OP. I have a set of Rebas right now. Never been serviced. In fact I’ve barely looked at them and they just keep doing what they’re supposed to. They’re four years old.

I suppose that Fox forks might give a measurably better performance but if I’m not racing for pleasure, or to stoke my ego, then I honestly couldn’t care less.

Pays yer money, takes yer choice.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Why is it that car shocks can do so much without stantion wear or internal services ?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I just wonder why nobody else makes replacement CSU’s or refurbs the knackered ones.

Wouldn’t touch them with a worn out stanchion.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Why can't Fox sort themselves out?’ is closed to new replies.