Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Who's the "best" rider you've ever ridden with??
  • gus
    Free Member

Shared the trail with various pro’s over the years, but always remember a ride in the FOD organised by Woods Cycles (Hanham Bristol) in about 92.

I was 15 at the time and a mate and I blagged a lift in a Capri off this guys we recognised from previous rides. He had a workmate with him.

The workmate had a red aluminium bike with Roland stickers (as in the keyboards) it had florescent yellow Answer Hyperlites, to a kid on a Falcon it looked the business.

God could this guy could ride a bike. Always first to the bottom of every hill, even if he started last, jumps, whips, bunny hops, rear wheel hops,one handed and no handed wheelies (not seen anyone do one of those for years).

No idea who the guy was and never rode with him again, was told he went back to motocross.

sarpullido
    Free Member

I recently went to a night ride in Epping Forest with some guys from MBRO35. One guy turned up on a cross bike and slicks tyres. I was amazed at how fast he was riding over the roots and his skills overall. I salute you, Steve Mahon!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Somafunk, she came to stay with us after the SSWCs in Aviemore. Total legend

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Joe Barnes & Ben Cathro made me poop myself one New Years Day up Nevis Range. TBH, I saw the MTBCut van and went on a bit of a fanboi mission only to bimble, jaw agape as they nearly set fire to the Red Run boardwalk.

I still think about it and still can’t comprehend how Joe Barnes does that on a bike.

Relevant ’cause one time I rode his bike up the high street as he was in the year above me inda skool.

somafunk

Yeah she is that for sure, i remember seeing the original muddy fox adverts back in the day – did you buy her reissued series of remade prints made into a calendar a few years ago?.

Jaquie rode with us at SSWC on one of sam’s singulars (with her banjo slung over her shoulder) and came out for quite a few rides and meals wi the crowd – very entertaining legend indeed, still in touch wi her every now and then so i’ll have to try and get out to fairfax at some point, i hosted someone from California through warmshowers last month and i have a place to stay out there as long as i like foc so i just may head out for a bike trip next year- a while ago jaquie sent me a pic of a humoungus evil purple hematoma all down the back of her leg, i would post the pic but i doubt that would be appropriate. I hope i’m still riding like Jaquie manages to do in a few years time.

I think i’m one of the few male “honorary” members of the wombats, I admit i do like a decent cup of tea….must be brodies breakfast blend and loose tea leaves though – none of this teabag supermarket weak pish…..

Bregante

Is that the Ian Pendry who used to work for Scott UK…? If so – a really nice guy too.

That’s the fella.

walleater

Wade Simmons and Brett Tippie.

…..And Gary Fisher. Fisher gets credit for being one of the first, but maybe not one of the best 😀

JCL
    Free Member

Probably Joe Barnes for an example of impeccable bike handling talent , I was asked to take Jonsey (Dirt mag) and a few folk out round Kirroughtree and show them the best bits for a Dirt Magazine Photoshoot back in 2007, (august 2007 mag edition).

The more I see of that kid the more I think he’s the cleanest most stylish guy on a AM bike. He might even have Gravesy beat.

Plus the Dudes of Hazzard stuff are easily the best bike vids.

vickypea
    Free Member

Same as a few others above- lapped by Nick Craig at HTN, and also lapped by Guy Martin at HtN.
    At the Sam Houghton Challenge this year I made way for Rob Jebb, thus enabling him to win the event 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

Just out of interest what makes you want to ride with bike celebs??? I’ve always found it cringeworthy. I have friends that get all giddy when any pros are present and always say they’d love to go for a ride with X, Y or Z…. I just don’t get it.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

It’s an opportunity to learn isn’t it?

weeksy

curiousyellow – Member

It’s an opportunity to learn isn’t it?

3 seconds isn’t an opportunity 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

Learn what?? A coaching session would be far more useful surely?

Anyway to answer the question…. My mate si is the best rider I’ve ever ridden with.

northernmatt

I’m not going to read the whole thing but I get the gist that most people have put some ride guiding person or other.

The fastest person I have ridden with was a bloke I met via another forum. He generally rode a Mk1 Nomad and anytime I have ridden with him in the Peaks he seemed to be able to pedal it up absolutely anything in sight then disappear down the other side at a pace that would be suicidal (for me anyway) to keep up with. The annoying thing was he once brought his early 90’s Kona Explosif to a Peaks ride and did the same thing.

LoCo
    Free Member

Few world and european champs from various disiplines, most stylish was Julian Camellini on the Abercarn DH track in the wet.
    Always brings home how average a rider I am 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’ve ridden with loads of fast riders. The ones that were the fastest were the smoothest and the ones that thought they were fast and mouthy with it banged it down to the lane first tended not to be as fast as they’d think they are.

Not seen one for ages- Saw a quick lad recently- on shit forks and on a section he’d never done before.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

3 seconds isn’t an opportunity

Is in my book. 8)

Leku
    Free Member

I raced against Joe Murray & Paul Hinton.

I beat Paul because he fell off and broke something (collarbone?).

I was in the wrong category.

hora
    Free Member

JCL – thanks for that. I’m liking their vids.

natrix
    Free Member

Did the Prutour Red Ride in 1999 with Stephen Roche (won the Tour de France, Giro d’Italia & World Championships)- top bloke, he found a bunch of keys that I thought I’d lost and took the effort to return them to me 8)

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Been lapped numerous times by likes of Terrahawk Twinkly Dave Matt Page Ant White Craig Bowles RIch Rothwell etc etc etc the list goes on 🙂 but have to say Brett Bellchambers was just so impressive at wembo http://vimeo.com/84928053

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

@ti-pin-man

I have fond memories of JMC and Plunkett coming riding with the Uni MTB clubs in Newcastle. Team Hardisty Cycles were warned about those rides…

@esher

Yep, thems rides sure were freakin long hard rides, fab times. Plunkett rode with us out in the North Pennines a bit, also stupidly good a rider, wonder if he still does or if he’s tiling bathrooms these days?

hora
    Free Member

We should have a thread ‘ whose the worse rider you’ve ridden with 😛

Harry_the_Spider

Binners?

RepackRider
    Free Member

Some years back I took a road ride, just myself and a man named John Allis. He was in town and looking for a local riding guide. He was at the time the defending US road champion. Just me and the national champ, out for a ride. I took it easy on him.

Ridden with Ned Overend who has held numerous championships.

tomaso
    Free Member

I briefly shared the trail with Gary Fisher once. The old git kicked my ass a and left me for dead!

BigAd
    Free Member

Glynn. He rides with a prosthetic limb because he is an above knee amputee, which means he is only pedalling with one leg. The limb helps him balance and stand on the pedals.
    I joined him on the Surrey Hills Ups and downs off road sportive. He pedalled up everything!

Duane Stander (Burry Stander’s big brother) is a class bike handler and strong as an ox!

Matty D! Ultra smooth and hit anything on his £200 Saracen.

All are super cool guys who will ride in any conditions.

Kahurangi

There’s a female ex-WC DH rider in my group of riding buddies and some very fast amateurs. See Cam Cole, Blenki, Leov and a few other big names out on the trails from time to time.

swavis

Danny Mcaskill

Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Who's the "best" rider you've ever ridden with??’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM